Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2016, 02:06 PM
RE: Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?
Well I hope the feminism topic is over, because I don't want a revival of F.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2016, 02:35 PM
(06-02-2016 01:31 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I havent read all the posts because cbf. I just want to say that the draft should be shut down. NO ONE should be forced to sign up.

That's actually a "non-answer". The question was not "Should we shut it down ?"
There IS a SS System NOW in place, that only men are required to sign up for.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-02-2016, 02:49 PM
(07-02-2016 02:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 01:31 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I havent read all the posts because cbf. I just want to say that the draft should be shut down. NO ONE should be forced to sign up.

That's actually a "non-answer". The question was not "Should we shut it down ?"
There IS a SS System NOW in place, that only men are required to sign up for.

It is an answer. Because men should not be required to sign up either.

If we are looking to change the draft, why is shutting it down not an option?
08-02-2016, 12:30 AM
Also, thinking about it, is it really a good idea to ask women to sign up anyway? Actually. Because everyone seems to agree that it's a crock of shit, why when half the population is exempted from crock o' shit is the response that it'd be *more fair* to require them to participate in crock o' shit?

It's like... half the people in the USA are required to draw lotto tickets to be shot, and the other half aren't. Sure, it's not fair, but actually, the most fair is to not require anyone to draw lotto tickets, not to force *everyone* to do so.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
08-02-2016, 01:49 AM
(07-02-2016 01:17 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Thanks, I guess if you bothered to look it up then what you call "the teaching moment" is over. That was the point I was making. When you claim you are waiting for the information (implying none existed) and yet you have not made any effort to obtain it you are making an inference that it was not there when in fact you didn't actually know that.

Now, you can screw around with the words/meaning thing if you want (as you already have) but my point and my reply was that you really had no idea if they had or hadn't supported equal draft but you were making it seem as if they hadn't in order to make it look like a double standard. I simply asked for proof. Nothing more.

And my point was that if those opinions hadn't leached into the broader discussion, how widespread could they be? I hadn't bothered to research it beforehand simply because it didn't seem to me that conscription was going to be enacted any time soon, rendering it a rather picayune point of interest.

I'm not an expert on every topic where I offer my opinions, nor are you or anyone else.

(07-02-2016 01:17 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  It seems they have made effort in the past to equalize the draft selection to include women on several occasions, the one you mentioned, also when Jimmy Carter tried to get this change done (it too was shot down but let me add it has always been shot down by men, men in the house and senate and men on the SCOTUS) and when it was taken to the SCOTUS a second time, the ACLU Women's Rights Project supported and provide aid to the attorney's and funded it.

And that's cool -- I didn't know that as well.

(07-02-2016 01:17 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  But around the years 2000+ it seems the movement (not necessarily individuals of feminism leaders) focus was shifted to "give us equality first, then we'll support the equal draft". Many feminist (women and men) feel women are still second class citizens in our own country and think that just as soon as that changes the majority of feminist women will embrace all the responsibilities that go with the benefits but why should women put themselves in harms way when they are not even considered fully represented citizens.

I think of myself as "egalitarian" rather than "feminist", but I certainly see the point of "equality before duty" -- in the same sense that African-Americans were drafted in WWII to defend a country which would so severely deny them their rights. However, many black leaders in that era urged and supported blacks fighting in our armed services in order to deny the powers-that-be any criticism of being "unwilling to fight", and there's also a solid point there.

(07-02-2016 01:17 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  In actuality the blogs I've seen in the last few years place the focus on "get rid of the draft" first but if not then "make it equal when women are equal". Their position is mainly to get rid of the draft, which I agree.

My place in this argument is still the same, my preference is to get rid of the draft but until it's gone, the selective service registration should apply equally to every one except for the physically or mentally disabled. The majority of jobs to be filled are non-combat and can be fill be people not physically capable of being infantry whether that is females or males.

We're certainly in agreement there. And I think it was Yak who upthread suggested that putting conscripts on the front lines is a bad idea all the way around, and I agree with that as well, no matter their gender.

(07-02-2016 01:17 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  *btw, maybe you should use Bing, I found a whole list of information on the first page. Smile

Perhaps for some searches, sure. I hate the clunky presentation of results.
08-02-2016, 01:51 AM
(08-02-2016 12:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  Also, thinking about it, is it really a good idea to ask women to sign up anyway? Actually. Because everyone seems to agree that it's a crock of shit, why when half the population is exempted from crock o' shit is the response that it'd be *more fair* to require them to participate in crock o' shit?

It's like... half the people in the USA are required to draw lotto tickets to be shot, and the other half aren't. Sure, it's not fair, but actually, the most fair is to not require anyone to draw lotto tickets, not to force *everyone* to do so.

To be truly fair, we should be able to vote on the targets. Smile
08-02-2016, 07:49 AM
Israel, Norway, and Cuba have mandatory military service that includes men and women. If you're going to have it, make it for everyone.

Many other countries have mandatory military service that includes only men, some having a non-military alternative. This is not a bad idea. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-02-2016, 08:00 AM
(08-02-2016 07:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  Israel, Norway, and Cuba have mandatory military service that includes men and women. If you're going to have it, make it for everyone.

Many other countries have mandatory military service that includes only men, some having a non-military alternative. This is not a bad idea. Consider

It's only not a bad idea if you can actually trust your leaders. Can you imagine if Zimbabwe had a draft? I'd be forced to fight in Mugabe's wars for fun and profit. Fuck that shit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
08-02-2016, 08:06 AM
(08-02-2016 08:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  I'd be forced to fight in Mugabe's wars for fun.

Nothing wrong with mandatory fun Tongue

'Murican Canadian
08-02-2016, 08:39 AM
(08-02-2016 08:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 07:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  Israel, Norway, and Cuba have mandatory military service that includes men and women. If you're going to have it, make it for everyone.

It's only not a bad idea if you can actually trust your leaders. Can you imagine if Zimbabwe had a draft? I'd be forced to fight in Mugabe's wars for fun and profit. Fuck that shit.

The 'not a bad idea' is one of mandatory service with a non-military option.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post