Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2016, 12:23 PM
RE: Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?
I was an Infantry officer and rifle company commander 40 plus years ago. I favor drafting women because, despite the macho bullshit men spew, women tend to remain cooler under severe stress than do men. If some member of my family is going into combat, I want him/her to have the coolest heads available directing him/her.

On the other hand, I agree with the people who want to get rid of the draft altogether.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
08-02-2016, 01:00 PM
After reading this thread and some online articles, I think my main concern about forcing women into the draft would be forcing women into a rape culture where they would be a high profile target. We haven't really addressed this yet here but the rape occurrence in the military is as high as in third world nations where women have no voice. It's hard to come to terms with making women participate in an environment where they and you know they will be targeted for rape. Kind of like telling women they must serve 3 years in a men's prison unprotected.

I think I will think on this some more.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
08-02-2016, 01:45 PM
(08-02-2016 01:00 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  After reading this thread and some online articles, I think my main concern about forcing women into the draft would be forcing women into a rape culture where they would be a high profile target. We haven't really addressed this yet here but the rape occurrence in the military is as high as in third world nations where women have no voice. It's hard to come to terms with making women participate in an environment where they and you know they will be targeted for rape. Kind of like telling women they must serve 3 years in a men's prison unprotected.

Well there is a higher chance of a man being raped in the military, but we still send them. I still say just drop it, so people can avoid assault.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
08-02-2016, 02:41 PM
(08-02-2016 01:00 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  After reading this thread and some online articles, I think my main concern about forcing women into the draft would be forcing women into a rape culture where they would be a high profile target. We haven't really addressed this yet here but the rape occurrence in the military is as high as in third world nations where women have no voice. It's hard to come to terms with making women participate in an environment where they and you know they will be targeted for rape. Kind of like telling women they must serve 3 years in a men's prison unprotected.

You raise a very valid concern, but maybe with more women in the military there will be more protection and less rape. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-02-2016, 04:43 PM
Let me chime in 12 pages later without reading anyone else's response.

Answer: No, women should not be required to register with the selective service. Men either. My thoughts are - if the country is in such dire straights that we need more people to defend itself, they will volunteer - OR the country isn't worth saving according to it's population. Either way, will of the people. Fuck the draft.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
08-02-2016, 05:05 PM

I did bring that up.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid940410

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-02-2016, 05:24 PM
(08-02-2016 12:23 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I was an Infantry officer and rifle company commander 40 plus years ago. I favor drafting women because, despite the macho bullshit men spew, women tend to remain cooler under severe stress than do men. If some member of my family is going into combat, I want him/her to have the coolest heads available directing him/her.

On the other hand, I agree with the people who want to get rid of the draft altogether.

I don't know about that. I really don't think being cool/calm under stress or in emergencies is gender related. I know some pretty ditzy women as well as some ditzy men who couldn't keep it together in a spring shower let alone a shitstorm.

Women as a whole might be less aggressive but I think that people are what they are some suited for this and some not, gender lines aren't always a indicator.

*remind me sometime to share my story of Heatheness vs the Swat Team. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
08-02-2016, 06:06 PM
(08-02-2016 05:24 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 12:23 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I was an Infantry officer and rifle company commander 40 plus years ago. I favor drafting women because, despite the macho bullshit men spew, women tend to remain cooler under severe stress than do men. If some member of my family is going into combat, I want him/her to have the coolest heads available directing him/her.

I don't know about that. I really don't think being cool/calm under stress or in emergencies is gender related. I know some pretty ditzy women as well as some ditzy men who couldn't keep it together in a spring shower let alone a shitstorm.

Women as a whole might be less aggressive but I think that people are what they are some suited for this and some not, gender lines aren't always a indicator.

*remind me sometime to share my story of Heatheness vs the Swat Team. Smile

There's some research that shows that all-men decision-making groups make worse decisions than groups that have even a couple of women which I think might be pertinent to this discussion.

I admit that I don't know if there is research on the decision-making of all-female groups, but I do think it's time to get more women in the military. (Ideally, not through a draft.)
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
08-02-2016, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 06:25 PM by yakherder.)
On a side note, the newest changes will not lead to a significant increase in females in the military. That's a whole different sociological matter. Women have been allowed in the military for quite some time. The combat arms roles that just opened up account for roughly 10% of the Army and Marines, and a fraction of a percent of Air Force and Navy (AFSOC and SEALs). The recent changes are mostly symbolic. There aren't a lot of girls jumping at the chance to sleep in a swamp and get eaten alive by mosquitos all for the opportunity to possibly kill someone or die trying. Those few that exist simply have the option now. I doubt it will actually lead to a statistically significant increase in the number of females enlisting.

'Murican Canadian
08-02-2016, 06:31 PM
(08-02-2016 01:45 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  

Well there is a higher chance of a man being raped in the military, but we still send them. I still say just drop it, so people can avoid assault.

A higher quantity, but not a better chance. 14k guys vs 12k women, where there a great many more guys in the service.