Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2016, 10:33 AM
RE: Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?
(09-02-2016 10:13 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  "9 of every 10 rape victims were female in 2003"

https://rainn.org/get-information/statis...lt-victims

Women have more to worry about, yer nuckin' futs if you don't believe that. When comparing women to men, women are at a disadvantage.

First off, there is no draft, but a volunteer military. Registration for men and women doesn't change that.

Those women aren't all being raped in combat by the enemy.

The military needs to get its shit together and stop protecting the offenders -- they're nearly as bad as the Catholic Church.

But again, since registration for selective service is required for student loans and other things and carries hefty fines for males who don't comply, I feel it should apply to men and women.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-02-2016, 10:34 AM
(09-02-2016 07:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  Consider that for the average male, half of the other men have a physical advantage, there's absolutely no denying that.

Sometimes people really just don't understand statistics.

... this is my signature!
09-02-2016, 10:37 AM
(09-02-2016 06:42 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 11:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  And the longer life span ? That's the shaft ?
Pregnancy is a choice in 2016.
Your view of "weak women" is rather outdated, IMO.

Right, I'm sure you have to worry about being date raped too bucky, and I'm sure you're terrified when you have to walk down those dark alleys alone....Drinking Beverage

The truth is that men, ON AVERAGE, are much stronger than women. This isn't my "view" or opinion, this is a fact. As far as life span....it might be due to the same thing that causes men to be "stronger, taller, faster and less likely to be overweight" (https://www.cmu.edu/CSR/case_studies/wom...ger.html), hormones. Testosterone makes men more reckless and may also be linked to disease. "Later in life, testosterone puts men at risk biologically as well as behaviorally. It increases blood levels of the bad cholesterol (known as LDL, for low-density lipoprotein) and decreases levels of the good one (HDL, for high-density lipoprotein), putting men at greater risk of heart disease and stroke." (https://www.cmu.edu/CSR/case_studies/wom...nger.html)

Sure, pregnancy is a choice, but in order for our species to continue its existence, some women HAVE to get pregnant. And don't even pretend that men and women make equal sacrifice when it comes to carrying a pregnancy. Let's face it, most men would break down to tears at the thought of having to give up beer for 9 months, let alone all of the other hormonal and physical changes.

The longer life span thing seems like a moot point to me, I still think women have it tougher. The truth is, men and women are not the same, and they're not equal, and it's turning a blind eye to say that they are.

Have women ASKED YOU to treat them unequally, or are you making excuses so you so have to do what they have asked. They have ASKED for equality.
You seem to think you "know what's best for them". Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-02-2016, 10:45 AM
(09-02-2016 10:37 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 06:42 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Right, I'm sure you have to worry about being date raped too bucky, and I'm sure you're terrified when you have to walk down those dark alleys alone....Drinking Beverage

The truth is that men, ON AVERAGE, are much stronger than women. This isn't my "view" or opinion, this is a fact. As far as life span....it might be due to the same thing that causes men to be "stronger, taller, faster and less likely to be overweight" (https://www.cmu.edu/CSR/case_studies/wom...ger.html), hormones. Testosterone makes men more reckless and may also be linked to disease. "Later in life, testosterone puts men at risk biologically as well as behaviorally. It increases blood levels of the bad cholesterol (known as LDL, for low-density lipoprotein) and decreases levels of the good one (HDL, for high-density lipoprotein), putting men at greater risk of heart disease and stroke." (https://www.cmu.edu/CSR/case_studies/wom...nger.html)

Sure, pregnancy is a choice, but in order for our species to continue its existence, some women HAVE to get pregnant. And don't even pretend that men and women make equal sacrifice when it comes to carrying a pregnancy. Let's face it, most men would break down to tears at the thought of having to give up beer for 9 months, let alone all of the other hormonal and physical changes.

The longer life span thing seems like a moot point to me, I still think women have it tougher. The truth is, men and women are not the same, and they're not equal, and it's turning a blind eye to say that they are.

Have women ASKED YOU to treat them unequally, or are you making excuses so you so have to do what they have asked. They have ASKED for equality.

Or we could go further and say that no two people are ever truly "equal" insofar as they don't have exactly the same attributes. So in a way that judgment is utterly meaningless.

Giving a group of people the same intelligence test is unequal, because they were not born with the same neuroplasticity. Giving a group of people the same endurance fitness test is unequal, because they were not born with the same blood oxygenation rate.

So what do we actually mean by "equal"?

09-02-2016, 10:47 AM
(09-02-2016 10:37 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 06:42 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Right, I'm sure you have to worry about being date raped too bucky, and I'm sure you're terrified when you have to walk down those dark alleys alone....Drinking Beverage

Have women ASKED YOU to treat them unequally, or are you making excuses so you so have to do what they have askek. They have ASKED for equality.

Yeah, there's something kinda condescending about the whole 'women have enough to deal with periods and having babies'

Blink

I think it's nice that some men want to protect the woman-folk from bad things...but it's been a long time since women fainted or came down with the vapers at the sight of something unpleasant.

We're not incapable of handling stressful situations (whether on our periods or not).

Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-02-2016, 11:34 AM
(09-02-2016 10:34 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 07:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  Consider that for the average male, half of the other men have a physical advantage, there's absolutely no denying that.

Sometimes people really just don't understand statistics.

Right. You don't understand statistics if you don't believe that the average female is weaker than the average male.
09-02-2016, 11:38 AM
(09-02-2016 10:33 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  First off, there is no draft, but a volunteer military. Registration for men and women doesn't change that.

Ok

Those women aren't all being raped in combat by the enemy.

Ok

The military needs to get its shit together and stop protecting the offenders -- they're nearly as bad as the Catholic Church.

Ok

But again, since registration for selective service is required for student loans and other things and carries hefty fines for males who don't comply, I feel it should apply to men and women.

And I'm fine with only applying it to men. Women are disadvantaged more than men already, so I'm fine sticking it to the men in this case.
09-02-2016, 11:42 AM
(09-02-2016 11:34 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 10:34 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Sometimes people really just don't understand statistics.

Right. You don't understand statistics if you don't believe that the average female is weaker than the average male.

It's so good of you to set that non-sequitur straw man straight.

09-02-2016, 11:43 AM
(09-02-2016 11:42 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 11:34 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Right. You don't understand statistics if you don't believe that the average female is weaker than the average male.

It's so good of you to set that non-sequitur straw man straight.

I'm sorry, was there point you were trying to make with your post then?
09-02-2016, 11:49 AM
(08-02-2016 11:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 09:09 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  On the OP, I say no.

Women already got the shaft on having periods, having to carry pregnancies, and being generally more vulnerable to rape and physical attack. We can stick it to the men on this one IMO.

Men - required
Women - voluntary

That's my preference.

And the longer life span ? That's the shaft ?
Pregnancy is a choice in 2016.
Your view of "weak women" is rather outdated, IMO.

Just a note here... pregnancy is not always a choice. When raped, that choice was not theirs to make. This, I'm sure, is one of the reasons that women have not had to register. Yes, men do get raped in the military but they do not get pregnant from it. Women OTOH do and that is a whole other problem by itself. You can offer an abortion but in the end whatever decision the women makes about a pregnancy she has to live with the rest of her life. The decision can be devastating not only emotionally but financially and physically. Rape happens everywhere but not because someone made you go live in a high risk environment.

I'm not taking a side or making a judgment in this assessment, just offering some insight to their thinking and reasons why women are not required to register.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post