Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2016, 11:49 AM
RE: Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?
(09-02-2016 11:43 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 11:42 AM)cjlr Wrote:  It's so good of you to set that non-sequitur straw man straight.

I'm sorry, was there point you were trying to make with your post then?

I was remarking on Chas's comment to you. By statistical necessity men are also physically disadvantaged in half of the situations they experience. That certainly seemed overlooked in your blanket pronouncements vis-a-vis men and women.

As turnaround, from what did you construct that absurd straw man, then?

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2016, 11:51 AM
(09-02-2016 11:49 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 11:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  And the longer life span ? That's the shaft ?
Pregnancy is a choice in 2016.
Your view of "weak women" is rather outdated, IMO.

Just a note here... pregnancy is not always a choice. When raped, that choice was not theirs to make. This, I'm sure, is one of the reasons that women have not had to register. Yes, men do get raped in the military but they do not get pregnant from it. Women OTOH do and that is a whole other problem by itself. You can offer an abortion but in the end whatever decision the women makes about a pregnancy she has to live with the rest of her life. The decision can be devastating not only emotionally but financially and physically. Rape happens everywhere but not because someone made you go live in a high risk environment.

I'm not taking a side or making a judgment in this assessment, just offering some insight to their thinking and reasons why women are not required to register.

On the other hand, pregnancy is only the result in a small fraction of sexual assault cases.

09-02-2016, 11:53 AM
(09-02-2016 11:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 11:49 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Just a note here... pregnancy is not always a choice. When raped, that choice was not theirs to make. This, I'm sure, is one of the reasons that women have not had to register. Yes, men do get raped in the military but they do not get pregnant from it. Women OTOH do and that is a whole other problem by itself. You can offer an abortion but in the end whatever decision the women makes about a pregnancy she has to live with the rest of her life. The decision can be devastating not only emotionally but financially and physically. Rape happens everywhere but not because someone made you go live in a high risk environment.

I'm not taking a side or making a judgment in this assessment, just offering some insight to their thinking and reasons why women are not required to register.

On the other hand, pregnancy is only the result in a small fraction of sexual assault cases.

Do you have a link to that statistic?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
09-02-2016, 12:00 PM
(09-02-2016 11:53 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 11:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  On the other hand, pregnancy is only the result in a small fraction of sexual assault cases.

Do you have a link to that statistic?

Unfortunately not offhand, no. I will try to track it down later.
(but it is one of those things that will also vary by jurisdiction due to differences in classification and reporting)

But it does follow fairly inevitably from the definition of sexual assault under the law - and I do mean explicitly sexual assault rather than rape, because only the former is defined as a category under Canadian law. And since anything other than ejaculation meets ovulation can't result in pregnancy (and even then doesn't always) but would still be sexual assault...

09-02-2016, 12:02 PM
(09-02-2016 11:49 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 11:43 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I'm sorry, was there point you were trying to make with your post then?

I was remarking on Chas's comment to you. By statistical necessity men are also physically disadvantaged in half of the situations they experience. That certainly seemed overlooked in your blanket pronouncements vis-a-vis men and women.

As turnaround, from what did you construct that absurd straw man, then?

My apologies, I thought that you were implying that I didn't understand statistics because I mentioned that women are on average physically weaker than men.

My mistake and I apologize.
09-02-2016, 12:52 PM
(09-02-2016 10:37 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Have women ASKED YOU to treat them unequally, or are you making excuses so you so have to do what they have asked. They have ASKED for equality.
You seem to think you "know what's best for them". Facepalm

Well, I just asked my wife and amazingly, she agreed with me (almost never happens lol!). Women have it tougher in many ways, so men can make the sacrifice on this one.

So now I've at least asked one woman. Smile
09-02-2016, 01:04 PM
(09-02-2016 11:49 AM)cjlr Wrote:  By statistical necessity men are also physically disadvantaged in half of the situations they experience.

Given that women, on average, are not physically as strong as men, and given that half the population (roughly) are female, this point is very dubious.

Assuming approximately equal encounters of the genders, men would be physically disadvantaged in roughly one-quarter the situations they experience, not one-half.
09-02-2016, 01:24 PM
(09-02-2016 01:04 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 11:49 AM)cjlr Wrote:  By statistical necessity men are also physically disadvantaged in half of the situations they experience.

Given that women, on average, are not physically as strong as men, and given that half the population (roughly) are female, this point is very dubious.

Assuming approximately equal encounters of the genders, men would be physically disadvantaged in roughly one-quarter the situations they experience, not one-half.

With other men, as clearly stated in Chas's prompting comment. I didn't feel I needed to explicitly reiterate that context.

Leaving aside the impossibility of so simplistically quantifying "physical strength", we'd be left with a rough bimodal distribution. Relative position depends on percentile within group and inter-group separation. It is a rather irrelevant statistical exercise in any case; "physically assaulted and overpowered by a stranger" is the very small minority of cases.

09-02-2016, 01:28 PM
(09-02-2016 12:00 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 11:53 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Do you have a link to that statistic?

Unfortunately not offhand, no. I will try to track it down later.
(but it is one of those things that will also vary by jurisdiction due to differences in classification and reporting)

But it does follow fairly inevitably from the definition of sexual assault under the law - and I do mean explicitly sexual assault rather than rape, because only the former is defined as a category under Canadian law. And since anything other than ejaculation meets ovulation can't result in pregnancy (and even then doesn't always) but would still be sexual assault...

Except that I specifically stated "rape" not sexual assault, so I'd expect the stats where you formed your conjecture from to reflect that, in order to refute my statement on the risk and consequences.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
09-02-2016, 01:36 PM
(08-02-2016 04:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Let me chime in 12 pages later without reading anyone else's response.

Answer: No, women should not be required to register with the selective service. Men either. My thoughts are - if the country is in such dire straights that we need more people to defend itself, they will volunteer - OR the country isn't worth saving according to it's population. Either way, will of the people. Fuck the draft.

Or maybe the country's worth saving, but there's not enough people worth saving in the country.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user