Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 09:06 PM by carol.)
RE: Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?
(02-02-2016 07:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Males in the US must register on their 18th birthday, (even though there is no active draft), for the Selective Service System. If they don't, they can't get student loans, and risk all kinds of other Federally related consequences, (employment etc). Today some generals told congress women should have the same requirement.

What think ye ?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/...draft.html

I think women should be required to register and face the same consequences as men do if they do not register. Alll adult people should be treated and given the same responsibilities and rewards that come with adulthood, unless they have a disability that would interfere. It is just as awful for a young man to fight and die in a war as it is for a young woman to.

I have not agreed with the wars we have sent our troops to, I am totally opposed to many American policies, and I also believe women are still underrepresented and underpaid...and the idea of registering anyone has objectionable facets...we could discuss those ideas a different time.

the more that women are willing to take the same risks the more we will be treated with the same respect. I have read that some men have objected to having women with them in battle, because they worry they may have to protect them. But I think after a few months in a war zone they will see how badass women can be and realize how capable women are.
If they do go into the military they should be able to attain the same ranks as men are, get the same salary and take the same risks. They may not be able to go through the same basic physical training but weapons are a great equalizer, and women have stamina...it does both women and men disservice to treat women as if they are more delicate and more chlldlike. It keeps women from becoming adults and keeps men from treating them as adults.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like carol's post
02-02-2016, 09:13 PM
If the selective service system exists, and females are to be considered as equals, then it is only rational that they should have to register.

That said, I don't believe the selective service system should be in place for a number of reasons.

• It takes a certain type mentality to be a soldier To be blunt, the days of winning by numbers are long gone. If you're not a killer, you're cannon fodder, and you're just taking up resources that would be better spent on those of us who actually want to be there. I'd rather be in a unit with half the numbers, but with good morale and double the training/equipment. I don't wanna put my life in the hands of someone who was meant to be behind a desk. That's not by any means a criticism of those who don't want to be soldiers, merely an acknowledgement that most of us weren't meant to be. Only about III%, as the saying goes.

• If you're a leader in a Democratic nation and feel that it is in our best interests to go to war, great. But it falls upon you to convince the people that your course of action is the correct one. If you succeed in doing so, they will put their lives on the line by their own choice. If their hearts aren't in it, then you've already lost if you make the tactically irrational decision to send them into battle against enemies who actually believe in their cause.

• And if the selective service system absolutely must exist then draftees should be in support positions only, as far the fuck away from the front line as they can possibly be.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 15 users Like yakherder's post
02-02-2016, 09:40 PM
What the hell? I've never heard of this, nor have I ever signed up for anything.

Regardless I think it's fair that what is required of men is required of women. Actually the only friends of mine who are in the military are women (Navy and Air Force).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Yes, if men have to, women should have to.

However, I don't believe anyone should have to.

I do think that any legislator who votes for a war should have to work from that war zone with the identical conditions that a person who is drafted would experience.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
02-02-2016, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 10:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
The U.S. has had a volunteer army for decades. Why do my sons still have to register for potential enlistment?

#sigh
02-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Women should have to go into the SSS just like men.

That said, as an ignorant foreigner; Why on Earth does the US still have that system to begin with?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
02-02-2016, 10:22 PM
No one should, ever. If you want to join the military on your own accord, be my guest, but no one should have to be forced to fight when they don't want to. Man, woman, and other gender identities

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
02-02-2016, 10:34 PM
(02-02-2016 09:40 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  What the hell? I've never heard of this, nor have I ever signed up for anything.

Regardless I think it's fair that what is required of men is required of women. Actually the only friends of mine who are in the military are women (Navy and Air Force).

I you sure you didn't just do it without thinking about it at some point? It's kind of hard not to Tongue Certainly not impossible, though.

If you've ever qualified for a federal student loan, for example, you are probably signed up, as not being signed up would automatically disqualify you.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
02-02-2016, 10:40 PM
(02-02-2016 10:22 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  No one should, ever. If you want to join the military on your own accord, be my guest, but no one should have to be forced to fight when they don't want to. Man, woman, and other gender identities

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-02-2016, 11:30 PM
(02-02-2016 10:19 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Women should have to go into the SSS just like men.

That said, as an ignorant foreigner; Why on Earth does the US still have that system to begin with?

I think it's just for a "Just in case shit hits the fan" type situation. Chances are it won't ever be used.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze