Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2016, 12:42 AM
RE: Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?
No one should but I doubt it will came to this. So in the name of equality women should be required to register too.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2016, 12:49 AM
(02-02-2016 07:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Males in the US must register on their 18th birthday, (even though there is no active draft), for the Selective Service System. If they don't, they can't get student loans, and risk all kinds of other Federally related consequences, (employment etc). Today some generals told congress women should have the same requirement.

What think ye ?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/...draft.html

It sounds fair, but I have to ask, what are the gender proportions of female general officers to male?

If these generals want women subject to drafting in the ranks during wartime, then these same generals ought to be fighting just as hard to ensure that the glass ceilings are smashed in peacetime.

Equality of risk should be accompanied by equality of opportunity.

And it was mentioned above -- the dreadful incidence of sexual abuse in our military that is largely tolerated by the officer corps. This is another inequality that should be addressed if they're going to plump for female draft registration.

In principle, I agree that fair is fair. But there needs to be fairness across the board.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
03-02-2016, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 12:56 AM by Adrianime.)
(02-02-2016 10:34 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 09:40 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  What the hell? I've never heard of this, nor have I ever signed up for anything.

Regardless I think it's fair that what is required of men is required of women. Actually the only friends of mine who are in the military are women (Navy and Air Force).

I you sure you didn't just do it without thinking about it at some point? It's kind of hard not to Tongue Certainly not impossible, though.

If you've ever qualified for a federal student loan, for example, you are probably signed up, as not being signed up would automatically disqualify you.
Never had a student loan. I'm almost certain I've never signed anything that implied the military could use me in any way.

Edit: Just confirmed via the website that I've never been signed up. Interesting.

https://www.sss.gov/Home/Verification

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
03-02-2016, 02:52 AM
... Conscription is bullshit.

So some politician is now gonna have the *legal* right to send people to war, even against their own desire? Fuck that shit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-02-2016, 05:49 AM
(03-02-2016 12:50 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 10:34 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I you sure you didn't just do it without thinking about it at some point? It's kind of hard not to Tongue Certainly not impossible, though.

If you've ever qualified for a federal student loan, for example, you are probably signed up, as not being signed up would automatically disqualify you.
Never had a student loan. I'm almost certain I've never signed anything that implied the military could use me in any way.

Edit: Just confirmed via the website that I've never been signed up. Interesting.

https://www.sss.gov/Home/Verification

Besides student loans, it is also a felony to not register that is punishable by a fine of up to $250k or 5 years in jail. Federal job training programs and employment with a federal agency is forbidden for those who haven't registered.
https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Why-Reg...-Penalties

Also, some states have additional restrictions such as requiring registration in order to be eligible for admission to state colleges and universities, to get a driver's license, to be eligible for employment with the state.
https://www.sss.gov/Registration/State-C...egislation
[+] 3 users Like BryanS's post
03-02-2016, 05:55 AM
(02-02-2016 08:12 PM)cactus Wrote:  The mandatory draft is bullshit. If I got drafted, I'd "convert" to some pansy-ass religion like Jainism, and then file for conscientious objection on religious grounds.
Sounds like a good plan, for the military.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2016, 06:29 AM
(02-02-2016 08:12 PM)cactus Wrote:  The mandatory draft is bullshit. If I got drafted, I'd "convert" to some pansy-ass religion like Jainism, and then file for conscientious objection on religious grounds.

Plenty of such religions.
03-02-2016, 07:12 AM
Some of you are looking at this the wrong way.....

If you have a draft -- it's LESS likely for "a politician to send our troops off to war" -- than if we have an all volunteer army.... THAT"s why we have an all volunteer army -- because politicians WANT it that way.

If the only people who are being sent off to war are people who volunteer for it -- nobody "back home" objects......

If EVERYONE is getting sent -- the politician had damned well have a really good reason to be sending our troops off to war -- and if he doesn't -- he's not going to be in office long....

Do the math...

How long did WWII last??? Now--- how long have we been in Afghanistan?????

And WHY are we still in Afghanistan????

How long do you think we'd have been there if GWB would have had to draft an army first before going there?????

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Think, before you decide you're against something....

And absolutely, the women should register too.

Gee - they can even vote, and own property now....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
03-02-2016, 07:34 AM
(03-02-2016 07:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How long did WWII last??? Now--- how long have we been in Afghanistan?????

And WHY are we still in Afghanistan????

How long do you think we'd have been there if GWB would have had to draft an army first before going there?????

Why has Afghanistan lasted longer than WWII? I'm not a military expert or analyst or anything, I'm sure Yakherder can give a better informed answer, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's because the hostiles engaged are entirely different beasts in nature.

How long would you have been in there if the forces sent over were conscripts? I don't know, but I'm guessing there would have been a lot more dead US service personnel, and if the US did leave before now, it would be because they were losing too many people to a bunch of nomads for popular support to exist, forcing them to run with their tails between their legs.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-02-2016, 07:56 AM
(02-02-2016 11:30 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 10:19 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Women should have to go into the SSS just like men.

That said, as an ignorant foreigner; Why on Earth does the US still have that system to begin with?

I think it's just for a "Just in case shit hits the fan" type situation. Chances are it won't ever be used.

That's what we said in the sixties. Dodgy Two of my brothers were drafted, I was 1-A for a year but not called up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user