Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2016, 08:09 AM
RE: Should women be required to register for the Selective Service System ?
(02-02-2016 07:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Males in the US must register on their 18th birthday, (even though there is no active draft), for the Selective Service System. If they don't, they can't get student loans, and risk all kinds of other Federally related consequences, (employment etc). Today some generals told congress women should have the same requirement.

What think ye ?

So long as we have the selective service and women can serve in combat, I'd say it's fair. I can see putting in some stipulations about if there is a family that only one person can be drafted from it, but I don't think there should be a stipulation as to which parent that would be (i.e., if the mother is drafted first, the father cannot be drafted until her tour is done, and vice versa).

Now, I could also see a good argument for simply getting rid of registering for selective service. If they know I'm eligible and they can send me mail hounding me to do so... why don't they just register me? Also, I'm not a big fan of compulsory military service, but that's a separate issue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-02-2016, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 08:24 AM by yakherder.)
(03-02-2016 07:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 07:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How long did WWII last??? Now--- how long have we been in Afghanistan?????

And WHY are we still in Afghanistan????

How long do you think we'd have been there if GWB would have had to draft an army first before going there?????

Why has Afghanistan lasted longer than WWII? I'm not a military expert or analyst or anything, I'm sure Yakherder can give a better informed answer, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's because the hostiles engaged are entirely different beasts in nature.

How long would you have been in there if the forces sent over were conscripts? I don't know, but I'm guessing there would have been a lot more dead US service personnel, and if the US did leave before now, it would be because they were losing too many people to a bunch of nomads for popular support to exist, forcing them to run with their tails between their legs.

There are a multitude of reasons that our involvement in Afghanistan has gone on for so long. Sure, having an all volunteer Army is probably at least a portion of what has made its continuation possible. Heck, in political discussions in my unit a number of people have mentioned that they are essentially basing their vote on who they think is the most likely to send us to fight someone. That probably wouldn't be the case if our ranks weren't filled by people who joined because they fucking hate civilian life and want to get away from it.

But yeah, it's far from the only reason. Our inconsistent strategies, our overly transparent intel gathering methods, the fact that all they have to do to know our agenda and plan accordingly is turn on any American news channel, our "catch and release strategy" which essentially goes something like this: Get into a scrap, they surrender when they realize it's not gonna go their way, we put them into a detention centre where they then fall under a more modern court system, we don't have the evidence we need to convict them of anything, they're released to go back and fight us again. Then there's the fact that conventional warfare operates on an increasingly obsolete model. Like I mentioned earlier, overwhelming numbers are no longer effective. Small, highly mobile light infantry units are still the key to achieving objectives, but not in the way they've been traditionally used. There is no front line or single command structure that you can take out and force a surrender. Nations operate from the top down. Groups likes the Taliban and al Qaeda operate from the bottom up. (ISIS is an exception, but that's a whole different discussion) This means that, while they may have a unifying cause, there is no single person at the top issuing orders. There are many sub-groups operating independently, and they are literally not phased when you decimate their so called leadership.

As we bolster our special operations units and expand the scope of their use, relying on highly mobile units capable of surgical strikes anywhere in the world rather than masses of poorly trained conventional soldiers used to reinforce a front line that doesn't even exist, our leadership is indeed at least starting to see the problem and try to fix it. In that regards, civilians with no desire to live a life of blood, guts, and glory who are conscripted as hastily trained soldiers and thrown into our ranks would ultimately do more harm than good. This isn't ancient China. You can't just give a bunch of random people pointy sticks and throw them into battle and expect anything other than a disaster. There are too many ways to obliterate large numbers of people to do it like that. Anyone who's ever witnessed a modern artillery barrage will understand this concept. It's about tactics, stealth, and technology.

And then there's the waste of resources. And I'm not talking about overall spending, I'm talking about how much of it is just thrown into a black hole. If we could make some necessary changes, we could probably cut military spending in half and still increase our capabilities.

I could go on and on. But to summarize, shit is fucked up and I'll leave it at that.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
03-02-2016, 08:29 AM
(03-02-2016 08:19 AM)yakherder Wrote:  shit is fucked up and I'll leave it at that.

Right that
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
03-02-2016, 09:22 AM
(03-02-2016 05:49 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 12:50 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Never had a student loan. I'm almost certain I've never signed anything that implied the military could use me in any way.

Edit: Just confirmed via the website that I've never been signed up. Interesting.

https://www.sss.gov/Home/Verification

Besides student loans, it is also a felony to not register that is punishable by a fine of up to $250k or 5 years in jail. Federal job training programs and employment with a federal agency is forbidden for those who haven't registered.
https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Why-Reg...-Penalties

Also, some states have additional restrictions such as requiring registration in order to be eligible for admission to state colleges and universities, to get a driver's license, to be eligible for employment with the state.
https://www.sss.gov/Registration/State-C...egislation
From your second link
Quote:*Washington: The 39th state to enact a driver’s license legislation supporting Selective Service registration. The bill was signed by Gov. Christine Gregoire on May 16, 2011, which stipulates that men under the age of 26 in Washington may opt to get registered with the Selective Service System when they apply to obtain or renew a state driver’s license. It became effective January 1, 2012, which was also the start date when Selective Service began receiving electronic data transmissions. There are no Solomon- or Thurmond-like legislations in place.
Well that partially explains why I never heard of it. I got my license in 2011 when I was 23.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
03-02-2016, 09:29 AM
(03-02-2016 09:22 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 05:49 AM)BryanS Wrote:  Besides student loans, it is also a felony to not register that is punishable by a fine of up to $250k or 5 years in jail. Federal job training programs and employment with a federal agency is forbidden for those who haven't registered.
https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Why-Reg...-Penalties

Also, some states have additional restrictions such as requiring registration in order to be eligible for admission to state colleges and universities, to get a driver's license, to be eligible for employment with the state.
https://www.sss.gov/Registration/State-C...egislation
From your second link
Quote:*Washington: The 39th state to enact a driver’s license legislation supporting Selective Service registration. The bill was signed by Gov. Christine Gregoire on May 16, 2011, which stipulates that men under the age of 26 in Washington may opt to get registered with the Selective Service System when they apply to obtain or renew a state driver’s license. It became effective January 1, 2012, which was also the start date when Selective Service began receiving electronic data transmissions. There are no Solomon- or Thurmond-like legislations in place.
Well that partially explains why I never heard of it. I got my license in 2011 when I was 23.

Before the whole doing it with drivers license thing, you were supposed to just sign-up. You are by law supposed to sign up within 30 days of your 18th birthday. I did it online through their website.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
03-02-2016, 09:31 AM
(03-02-2016 09:29 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 09:22 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  From your second link

Before the whole doing it with drivers license thing, you were supposed to just sign-up. You are by law supposed to sign up within 30 days of your 18th birthday. I did it online through their website.
Nobody told me Tongue. No commercials or mailings either.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
03-02-2016, 09:37 AM
(03-02-2016 09:31 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 09:29 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Before the whole doing it with drivers license thing, you were supposed to just sign-up. You are by law supposed to sign up within 30 days of your 18th birthday. I did it online through their website.

No I can see that, it's really not advertised or anything. I only knew because I was reminded.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
03-02-2016, 09:47 AM
I think there should be an international rule that all men everywhere be completely eliminated from all armed services. From five star generals down to the lowly privates, from the top brass at The Pentagon down to the the office managers....all women. No men whatsoever. They've totally fucked up for thousands of years, it's time to give women a try. We might fuck up too but probably not as badly.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-02-2016, 10:24 AM
(02-02-2016 08:08 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 08:02 PM)I Am Wrote:  No one should have to register.

I tend to agree with that.

Me to, but if someone has to go, I don't see why it should be gender segregated.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
03-02-2016, 11:02 AM
(03-02-2016 09:31 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 09:29 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Before the whole doing it with drivers license thing, you were supposed to just sign-up. You are by law supposed to sign up within 30 days of your 18th birthday. I did it online through their website.

The rule has always been 30 days after turning 18, unless you're still in high school at the time.

Were you home-schooled?

My son was told this when he graduated, by like every teacher in every class. It seems completely incredible that you've never heard of this.

Unless you just got all "fuck that shit" and blocked it from your memory.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post