02-09-2015, 08:58 PM
"Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"
She Regrets Not Praying with Her Dying Mother
(PWP)

http://goo.gl/eHRDaa

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2015, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2015 09:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: "Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"
I would've prayed. But that's just me. Make your own call. It's not like atheism is proscriptive.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-09-2015, 09:04 PM
I would have prayed too--not because I believed in it or in God--but because I know it would comfort my loved one.
[+] 12 users Like jennybee's post
02-09-2015, 09:11 PM
(02-09-2015 09:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would have prayed too--not because I believed in it or in God--but because I know it would comfort my loved one.

That's the only reason to pray.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-09-2015, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 09:19 PM by Anjele.)
There are times to not take a stand on certain things. At the end of a person's life is not the time to refuse a simple request from that person. If you are with a loved one at the end of their life, you should be there to provide necessary physical help as well as emotional support.

Yeah, I would pray. It wouldn't be the free form prayer of many Christian groups but I would have to dig up something from my Catholic days so I didn't stumble too much over the words.

My dad wanted to taste black licorice one last time...my two siblings and I showed up with five different brands of black licorice. Had he asked for prayer, he would have gotten that.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 14 users Like Anjele's post
02-09-2015, 09:38 PM
Though I am a (closeted, still) atheist, when my father-in-law died, I went to the funeral as a gesture of respect for my mother-in-law. It was a Catholic church; in fact, it was the one I was married in, 34 years ago. My siblings looked at me for clues as for when to kneel, stand up, and so forth. It had been so long for me (and, obviously, them) that I couldn't set an example. The priest was looking kind of pissed, and actually asked if any of us were Catholics. My wife and her mother are, but her mother moved in with us 6 years ago, when the FIL died, and we haven't seen the inside of a church since 2002, except for that time, 6 years ago.

Needless, I didn't pray during that service, since by then I'd forgot everything except that part about Green's Theorem in the Plane in my EM theory class. Big Grin
02-09-2015, 09:45 PM
(02-09-2015 08:58 PM)MattB Wrote:  She Regrets Not Praying with Her Dying Mother
(PWP)

http://goo.gl/eHRDaa

Speaking only for myself.

It would depend on many factors. One would be how close to drying and would others be present?

I wouldn't be a hypocrite for others or give other batshit crazy family members the wrong idea.

If it was likely that they'd be dead soon and no one was around then yes I'd totally do it.

If they were lucid and turn it into a thing where they tell everyone I accepted Jebus and was saved...

Yeah...I don't know what I'd do.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-09-2015, 09:45 PM
People that are dying just want you to be there, and hold their hand.
I don't buy this emotional little fairy tale.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-09-2015, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2015 10:22 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
If my mom were dying and asked me to pray, there's no way on Earth I'd turn her down.

Some things are bigger than my personal feelings, and this is certainly one of them.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-09-2015, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 01:35 AM by DLJ.)
Feeling grateful that neither of my parents or my siblings would even have a nano-thought about praying or expecting anyone else to.

Probably if anyone suggested it to them they'd raise an eyebrow like this ... Dodgy and chortle.

So I guess they'd die laughing which is no bad thing.

Smile

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post