"Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2015, 05:57 AM
RE: "Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"
(02-09-2015 09:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would have prayed too--not because I believed in it or in God--but because I know it would comfort my loved one.
Nope, while I won't make waves in every context, I will also not be emotionally blackmailed. Observing the mourning of others is one thing, but you have no right to expect me to fake it.

There is a huge double standard. Theists will still expect the Atheist to shut up, even when it is the atheist's loved one.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2015, 06:09 AM
(07-09-2015 05:57 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 09:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would have prayed too--not because I believed in it or in God--but because I know it would comfort my loved one.
Nope, while I won't make waves in every context, I will also not be emotionally blackmailed. Observing the mourning of others is one thing, but you have no right to expect me to fake it.

There is a huge double standard. Theists will still expect the Atheist to shut up, even when it is the atheist's loved one.

What if conversely, you were lying there pegging off and everyone around was going nutso praying, I think asking them to can it until you were kaput would be reasonable? When el loved-one is busy dying I think I'd be OK to give 'em the send off they want, and fuck my principles into the bargain Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
07-09-2015, 06:34 AM
(06-09-2015 07:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  No Ass, what you don't get is that everything isn't specifically physical and therefore cannot be accurately described or testified to in strict, physical or material terms.

What does 'specifically physical' mean? Things can be conceptual but you aren't talking about concepts. You are making claims about how the universe operates and what happens after death. Those claims involve physicality by definition. If you can't show any evidence for your claims then they can be dismissed out of hand.

Quote:This pertains to the four dimensions. How can you say that there are but four because that's all we perceive?

Who said there were only 4? We directly perceive 3 spatial and 1 time dimension but there may be evidence of others. There are many things we can't perceive directly that can be believed IF THERE IS EVIDENCE FOR THEM.

Quote: Even if there where but four our limited understanding of the fourth is of such that literally allows for all I say under God. It is only some anger or greed that keeps you from accepting the mere possibility of God. Let alone all the signs and support from diverse positions, including science, and truthful self.

No, nothing allows for your vacuous crapola. When you produce evidence that supports your claims they will be taken seriously. Until then, serving up word salad about "truthful selves" and "signs" is only good for a laugh.

Quote:Still no one answers anything and accomplishes nothing in favor of misplaced pride.

Pride has nothing to do with it. Where is your evidence?

Quote:Sorry you can't read correctly. I already answered that as the guote supports exactly what I initially stated.

No, it really doesn't. Thought and emotion are just the labels we use to describe the physical processes operating in the brain. The quote you posted simply does not say what you want it to.

Quote:Perhaps you aren't aware, but it the first few items that are pulled on a web search may be paid for, henceforth bought. Biased for you silly fuckers.
It's amazing how some are exactly how you are supposed to be.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? I didn't need web searches to see how wrong you were, I could just read what you posted. You make the oddest connections and shoot of in such random directions that it is no wonder you are as confused as you are.

Did you know that even after the paid, highlighted, items the highest rated search results are also based at least in part on your past searches? Google, and others, actively work to keep you in your bubble by offering what you look for most. That's why you should always go a few pages into the results to start to get views that conflict with your biases.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
07-09-2015, 06:46 AM
(06-09-2015 07:35 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Emotion is the energy that starts conscious thought.

No, it really isn't. If you think emotion exists as a physical force (which it would have to be to be energy) then please present the evidence that supports that hypothesis.

Quote:Reflection, introspectively, through our conscience allows for real direction, energy and meaning behind thought. This leads to more energy and more developed thought. Emotions not only cause conscious thought and visa versa, the chemical reactions allow for further focused emotion or conscious thought in a productive manner.

Emotions don't exist apart from thought. Emotions are just labels for physical brain states.

Quote:None of this is physical.

All of this is physical according to all of the evidence we have. You are welcome to provide evidence for your views but, failing that, your claims are worthless.

Quote:However it releases physical chemicals that make you have further emotions that are to be obvious indicators of direction, much like nerves and pain in that regard. In that they are equipped in us to guide us. The point was, initially, I believe, that emotions do cause the chemicals that are dispersed into the brain, and visa versa. Thanks.

We await your evidence that emotions exist as something apart from the physical brain but that they can influence that brain.

07-09-2015, 07:23 AM
Already posted proof from someone else's perspective who knows what they are talking about. The bottom of that quote references a science ntific journal of sorts that supports what I say. Past that, I have witnessed emotions, and m aningfull conscious thought create energy spikes and heighten senses for short periods of time. I know I'm dumb because no one else really knows about this stuff right.
07-09-2015, 07:38 AM
(07-09-2015 07:23 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Already posted proof from someone else's perspective who knows what they are talking about. The bottom of that quote references a science ntific journal of sorts that supports what I say.

Except that it doesn't.

What, by the way, is a "scientific journal of sorts"? Do you even science?

Quote:Past that, I have witnessed emotions, and m aningfull conscious thought create energy spikes and heighten senses for short periods of time. I know I'm dumb because no one else really knows about this stuff right.

You are seriously misinterpreting what is going on. Emotions do not create energy spikes in the way you describe.

Just like your use of the anthropic principle to try to claim how miraculous it is that we are here, you are approaching this backwards. It is like you are saying that colors can influence the wavelengths of visible light to create more colors. Colors are the labels we place on various wavelengths, they aren't the cause. Emotions are the labels we place on various brain states, they aren't the cause.

07-09-2015, 07:45 AM
(07-09-2015 07:23 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Already posted proof from someone else's perspective who knows what they are talking about. The bottom of that quote references a science ntific journal of sorts that supports what I say. Past that, I have witnessed emotions, and m aningfull conscious thought create energy spikes and heighten senses for short periods of time. I know I'm dumb because no one else really knows about this stuff right.

WTF?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-09-2015, 07:50 AM
(07-09-2015 07:38 AM)unfogged Wrote:  What, by the way, is a "scientific journal of sorts"?

This?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-09-2015, 08:15 AM
(06-09-2015 07:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  No Ass...

You talking to me?

I assure you, I do have an ass.

(06-09-2015 07:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ... what you don't get is that everything isn't specifically physical and therefore cannot be accurately described or testified to in strict, physical or material terms.

I might, perhaps, grant this for the sake of argument.

You said this applied to plasmas. That statement is amazingly incorrect. Do you realize this?

(06-09-2015 07:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  This pertains to the four dimensions. How can you say that there are but four because that's all we perceive? Even if there where but four our limited understanding of the fourth is of such that literally allows for all I say under God. It is only some anger or greed that keeps you from accepting the mere possibility of God. Let alone all the signs and support from diverse positions, including science, and truthful self.

As soon as you propose a coherent, testable theory, I'm all ears.

Until such a time as that, the utter lack of evidence forces you to give equal time to our real divine progenitor, the Flying Sphaghetti Monster.

Only your fear and anger keeps you from acknowledging the touch of His Noodly Appendage.

Fortunately for you, he's good-natured enough to let you into heaven regardless.

(06-09-2015 07:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Still no one answers anything and accomplishes nothing in favor of misplaced pride.

Sorry you can't read correctly. I already answered that as the guote supports exactly what I initially stated.

Perhaps you aren't aware, but it the first few items that are pulled on a web search may be paid for, henceforth bought. Biased for you silly fuckers.

Thanks.
Good luck, really.

I can't recall having interacted with you much. The schizophrenic vitriol seems misplaced. Does that generally make people more willing to you, in your experience?

You seem to be trying very hard to avoid acknowledging that you said something incorrect. That isn't exactly endearing, and it certainly doesn't lend one to grant any more credence to any of the other shit you're spewing, meaninglessly vague though it is.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
07-09-2015, 08:22 AM
(07-09-2015 08:15 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 07:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  No Ass...

You talking to me?

I assure you, I do have an ass.

(06-09-2015 07:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ... what you don't get is that everything isn't specifically physical and therefore cannot be accurately described or testified to in strict, physical or material terms.

I might, perhaps, grant this for the sake of argument.

You said this applied to plasmas. That statement is amazingly incorrect. Do you realize this?

(06-09-2015 07:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  This pertains to the four dimensions. How can you say that there are but four because that's all we perceive? Even if there where but four our limited understanding of the fourth is of such that literally allows for all I say under God. It is only some anger or greed that keeps you from accepting the mere possibility of God. Let alone all the signs and support from diverse positions, including science, and truthful self.

As soon as you propose a coherent, testable theory, I'm all ears.

Until such a time as that, the utter lack of evidence forces you to give equal time to our real divine progenitor, the Flying Sphaghetti Monster.

Only your fear and anger keeps you from acknowledging the touch of His Noodly Appendage.

Fortunately for you, he's good-natured enough to let you into heaven regardless.

(06-09-2015 07:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Still no one answers anything and accomplishes nothing in favor of misplaced pride.

Sorry you can't read correctly. I already answered that as the guote supports exactly what I initially stated.

Perhaps you aren't aware, but it the first few items that are pulled on a web search may be paid for, henceforth bought. Biased for you silly fuckers.

Thanks.
Good luck, really.

I can't recall having interacted with you much. The schizophrenic vitriol seems misplaced. Does that generally make people more willing to you, in your experience?

You seem to be trying very hard to avoid acknowledging that you said something incorrect. That isn't exactly endearing, and it certainly doesn't lend one to grant any more credence to any of the other shit you're spewing, meaninglessly vague though it is.
I will accept being wrong when it is aparent. Plasma isn't physical. It changes the physical like fire. Of course it can be described by the chemical changes that cause physical changes but that doesn't really make plasma physical.

I can understand that what I say isn't seen as fact. However, it is all plausible theory that doesn't refute what science says. I do not have the tools or knowledge to scientifically test my theories, but there are many colleges and eager students that do. I guess proof will fall upon them eventually.