"Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2015, 08:26 AM
RE: "Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"
(07-09-2015 08:22 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I can understand that what I say isn't seen as fact. However, it is all plausible theory that doesn't refute what science says. I do not have the tools or knowledge to scientifically test my theories, but there are many colleges and eager students that do. I guess proof will fall upon them eventually.

In common with *quite a lot* of stupid people, Pops doesn't want to do the hard yards but *does* want the accolades. At least he's self aware enough to acknowledge it. Too bad he's too fucken dumb not to open his pie hole in the first place.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2015, 08:34 AM
I attest plasma is not a solid, liquid, or gas. It indeed is not accurately described by the physical properties alone.
07-09-2015, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 07:37 PM by jennybee.)
(07-09-2015 05:57 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 09:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would have prayed too--not because I believed in it or in God--but because I know it would comfort my loved one.
Nope, while I won't make waves in every context, I will also not be emotionally blackmailed. Observing the mourning of others is one thing, but you have no right to expect me to fake it.

There is a huge double standard. Theists will still expect the Atheist to shut up, even when it is the atheist's loved one.

To me, praying is like talking gibberish. It would be no different if I sat there quoting a poem or reciting song lyrics. Prayers aren't magical--they are just a series of words strung together. That is all they are. So to me, if my loved one was dying and asked me to pray with them, I would because it would mean nothing to me and everything to them.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-09-2015, 08:44 AM
(07-09-2015 08:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 08:22 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I can understand that what I say isn't seen as fact. However, it is all plausible theory that doesn't refute what science says. I do not have the tools or knowledge to scientifically test my theories, but there are many colleges and eager students that do. I guess proof will fall upon them eventually.

In common with *quite a lot* of stupid people, Pops doesn't want to do the hard yards but *does* want the accolades. At least he's self aware enough to acknowledge it. Too bad he's too fucken dumb not to open his pie hole in the first place.
I don't want shit from anyone. If you want to speak of me then know what you are saying please. Easy? No. I stated that I haven't got the resources for qualified scientific endeavour, and in order for such studies to hold any ground within the scientific community they must be tested within scientific controls. You know little of what I do and less of the degree of difficulty. Do you really think that I rant and rave, yet do not strive for what I know to be true? How worthless would that make me? Rhetorical. It would make me utterly useless which I am not. If you prefer the well trodden path for ease then so be it. If you didn't notice I am not you, or any other, and will do whatever it takes to make a positive peaceful difference regardless of my sacrifices or sense of self.
07-09-2015, 08:47 AM
(07-09-2015 08:22 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I will accept being wrong when it is aparent. Plasma isn't physical. It changes the physical like fire. Of course it can be described by the chemical changes that cause physical changes but that doesn't really make plasma physical.

Plasma is physical.
(chemical changes are physical too - fire is physical: it refers to the rapid chemical oxidization of certain materials at standard temperatures and pressures)

Do you know what a plasma is? A plasma is an energetically ionised fluid composed of free nuclei and electrons. Protons, neutrons, and electrons, bro. That's the very definition of physical.

You can make one yourself, if you want. Al you need is a microwave, a match, and a pyrex dish. Light the match and cover it with the dish (dish must be elevated slightly to allow air flow), then turn on the microwave. The matchhead provides the initial locus, and you'll have a nice, friendly ball of plasma humming away (at 120Hz; the cavitron boosts twice per AC cycle) at the top of the inverted dish. Plasma*!

*cjlr is not not responsible for any damage to your microwave oven

It is not that what you say "isn't seen as fact". It is that what you say is incredibly ignorant.

You claim not to have the tools or knowledge to test your theories. That statement makes me very curious, and I have two responses to it:
First, how can you formulate a coherent scientific theory without the knowledge and ability to test it - or, more importantly, even propose testability criteria?
Second, why would you become so angrily defensive when someone who does have them gives you a negative answer? If you are trying to be scientific, you can't reject an answer just because it doesn't agree with your preconceptions.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
07-09-2015, 08:50 AM
What was the topic of this thread? Consider

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=145004&d=1393262482]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-09-2015, 08:50 AM
(07-09-2015 08:44 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I don't want shit from anyone.
Then cease and desist from being stupid.

Quote:If you want to speak of me then know what you are saying please. Easy? No. I stated that I haven't got the resources for qualified scientific endeavour, and in order for such studies to hold any ground within the scientific community they must be tested within scientific controls.
I must confess I'm quite surprised you managed to string so many words together that actually make sense.

Quote:You know little of what I do and less of the degree of difficulty.
I'm sure you're *dying* to enlighten us, much like Jesus.

Quote:Do you really think that I rant and rave, yet do not strive for what I know to be true? How worthless would that make me? Rhetorical. It would make me utterly useless which I am not.
Bare assertion.

Quote:If you prefer the well trodden path for ease then so be it. If you didn't notice I am not you, or any other, and will do whatever it takes to make a positive peaceful difference regardless of my sacrifices or sense of self.
Word salad.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-09-2015, 08:51 AM
(07-09-2015 08:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  What was the topic of this thread? Consider

Quiet, you; I'm trying to help someone learn!

I... am not all that optimistic

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
07-09-2015, 08:53 AM
(07-09-2015 08:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 08:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  What was the topic of this thread? Consider

Quiet, you; I'm trying to help someone learn!

I... am not all that optimistic

My bad. Blush

[Image: original.jpg]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
07-09-2015, 09:17 AM
MattB, I'm done. Sorry for messing up your thread. Pray or no. Try to be peaceful and respectful regardless of outside, worldly influences. The case of a dying Christian that may or may not be comfortable with their situation is an extenuating circumstance and should be dealt with with extra respect and compassion. Likewise if the roles are reversed. Thanks. Again, sorry.
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post