"Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2015, 03:29 AM
RE: "Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"
I don't think I could. I would be quiet and respectful while someone else was praying, I would hold the sick person's hand and comfort with other words. I wouldn't attack the other person's faith, but I can't see participating or leading a prayer.

In some ways it's like asking a Christian to set aside their beliefs and lead a Wiccan ritual at their loved one's deathbed, right? Equally meaningless cosmically, but also very wrong-feeling.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
03-09-2015, 03:55 AM
Maybe something needs to be said about the person who is requesting this. They shouldn't put someone in that position knowing what their stance is.
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
03-09-2015, 04:28 AM
Sometimes I am asked at family get togethers to give the prayer before we eat. This is usually a once or twice a year thing and at no time do I mention any gods or other religious figures in my prayer.

I would pray with anyone dying if they asked me to. Its their last moment, not mine. It will not effect my atheism.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
03-09-2015, 05:25 AM
I have Christians in my life that ask me to pray for them or others. If I agree to it I keep my word. However, when I pray, it is always to father Odin or Thor.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
03-09-2015, 06:28 AM
(02-09-2015 08:58 PM)MattB Wrote:  She Regrets Not Praying with Her Dying Mother
(PWP)

http://goo.gl/eHRDaa

If it were my mother, specifically, I wouldn't pray with her. That's mostly because she knows my stance on this, and her asking me would piss me off. If it were one of my two daughters, I might reconsider.

(02-09-2015 08:58 PM)MattB Wrote:  "Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"

Perhaps. Similarly, should theists put aside their theism for a few moments in the presence of a dying atheist? Would they?

This is one of those double standards that rubs me the wrong way because I'm going through this shit with my wife, right now.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-09-2015, 07:21 AM
I refuse to be guilted into praying. "I'm dying and if you don't pray with me, I'll never have peace (and you will go to hell)."

My mother helped make me who I am today - and now she wants me to be someone else? Sorry, no way, Jose.

In reality, my mother put me in charge of seeing that nobody prayed over her. LOL

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
03-09-2015, 08:15 AM
(02-09-2015 08:58 PM)MattB Wrote:  She Regrets Not Praying with Her Dying Mother
(PWP)

Yep, I would. If it would make her feel better, I certainly would.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
03-09-2015, 10:59 AM
I would've, to me it just seems like the "not being a dick" type thing to do.

"It says you have to be saved in order to go to heaven. The way I see it, you only have to be yourself to go to hell!" - Marilyn Manson, Copps Collesium, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. (1997)

Censored
[+] 4 users Like Twiggy's post
03-09-2015, 11:12 AM
(PWP)

No!

As much crap as I have received over the years because of my atheism this request would be insulting.

I might sit silently but I will not pray, nor will I give the impression that I am praying.
[+] 5 users Like ohio_drg's post
03-09-2015, 12:27 PM
For me, it's a no-brainer: hell, I continue to attend church weekly to save my mom the pain of learning that her daughter is an atheist. There's very little I wouldn't do to help my mother in her dying moments.

Mind you, once her funeral is over, you won't see me darken any church's doors (except for weddings or family funerals perhaps?) Whatev

My attitude towards the religious people in my life is: love the person, ignore the religion. In my experience, yawning indifference to religion, coupled with razor-sharp questions, is more effective in refuting the religious than a strident atheist position (i.e. don't feed the beast)

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 3 users Like Reducetarian's post