"Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2015, 01:22 PM
RE: "Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"
I sit quietly when others pray around me, typically when I am out to eat with either my family or my in-laws, but I never close my eyes, never bow my head, and make it clear that I am being respectful of their practice but not participating in any way.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Thank Gwynnies all my peeps are atheist.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-09-2015, 02:03 PM
This

(03-09-2015 03:29 AM)julep Wrote:  I don't think I could. I would be quiet and respectful while someone else was praying, I would hold the sick person's hand and comfort with other words. I wouldn't attack the other person's faith, but I can't see participating or leading a prayer.

In some ways it's like asking a Christian to set aside their beliefs and lead a Wiccan ritual at their loved one's deathbed, right? Equally meaningless cosmically, but also very wrong-feeling.

This

(03-09-2015 07:21 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I refuse to be guilted into praying. "I'm dying and if you don't pray with me, I'll never have peace (and you will go to hell)."

My mother helped make me who I am today - and now she wants me to be someone else? Sorry, no way, Jose.

In reality, my mother put me in charge of seeing that nobody prayed over her. LOL

This

(03-09-2015 11:12 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  No!

As much crap as I have received over the years because of my atheism this request would be insulting.

I might sit silently but I will not pray, nor will I give the impression that I am praying.

And this

(03-09-2015 01:22 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I sit quietly when others pray around me, typically when I am out to eat with either my family or my in-laws, but I never close my eyes, never bow my head, and make it clear that I am being respectful of their practice but not participating in any way.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 3 users Like stevec's post
03-09-2015, 02:19 PM
I love the answers of all atheists who said that they would pray. It shows what kind and companionate human beings they are.
it is the same when Cristian serves gays. It is not betraying your own believes. It is being good person

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
03-09-2015, 02:25 PM
(03-09-2015 02:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  it is the same when Cristian serves gays.

WTF?

living word
03-09-2015, 02:39 PM
(03-09-2015 02:25 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 02:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  it is the same when Cristian serves gays.

WTF?

I heard Cristain is gay, so why shouldn't he service them?

On your feet grabbing ankles or on your knees to receive the holy goodness.

Here ends my truly bawdy post of the day.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-09-2015, 07:29 PM
(03-09-2015 03:29 AM)julep Wrote:  I don't think I could. I would be quiet and respectful while someone else was praying, I would hold the sick person's hand and comfort with other words. I wouldn't attack the other person's faith, but I can't see participating or leading a prayer.

In some ways it's like asking a Christian to set aside their beliefs and lead a Wiccan ritual at their loved one's deathbed, right? Equally meaningless cosmically, but also very wrong-feeling.

Personally if asked I'd say a Wicca, Islamic, Hindu or Christian prayer or none at all if asked. The prayer may have no meaning to me but at that point it isn't about me and I really don't care what others thought at that time. If any theist or atheist didn't like it I'd tell them to F.O. Simple.
[+] 3 users Like MattB's post
03-09-2015, 08:06 PM
You do you, Matt.

I think that's one of those "atheist credos" that we all understand yet never document.

living word
03-09-2015, 08:08 PM
(03-09-2015 12:27 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  For me, it's a no-brainer: hell, I continue to attend church weekly to save my mom the pain of learning that her daughter is an atheist. There's very little I wouldn't do to help my mother in her dying moments.

Mind you, once her funeral is over, you won't see me darken any church's doors (except for weddings or family funerals perhaps?) Whatev

My attitude towards the religious people in my life is: love the person, ignore the religion. In my experience, yawning indifference to religion, coupled with razor-sharp questions, is more effective in refuting the religious than a strident atheist position (i.e. don't feed the beast)

I've found the need to ignore religious beliefs and politics.
03-09-2015, 08:16 PM
(03-09-2015 08:06 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You do you, Matt.

Interesting comment. Not sure what it means though. First thing that came to mind well.... not that flexible. :=))))
[+] 3 users Like MattB's post