"Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2015, 09:30 PM
RE: "Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"
I think I would not pray. While it may seem dickish to some being honest with myself matters to me more.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
03-09-2015, 09:40 PM
If gods don't exist, then is anyone really praying or just practicing wishful thoughts.

"In your last few moments in life, I'll fantasize with you and hope our tomorrows have some mystery that has yet to be solved."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
04-09-2015, 04:20 AM
(03-09-2015 07:29 PM)MattB Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 03:29 AM)julep Wrote:  I don't think I could. I would be quiet and respectful while someone else was praying, I would hold the sick person's hand and comfort with other words. I wouldn't attack the other person's faith, but I can't see participating or leading a prayer.

In some ways it's like asking a Christian to set aside their beliefs and lead a Wiccan ritual at their loved one's deathbed, right? Equally meaningless cosmically, but also very wrong-feeling.

Personally if asked I'd say a Wicca, Islamic, Hindu or Christian prayer or none at all if asked. The prayer may have no meaning to me but at that point it isn't about me and I really don't care what others thought at that time. If any theist or atheist didn't like it I'd tell them to F.O. Simple.

That's fine with me. It doesn't change what I personally would do in this situation, and what I'd do in this situation also has nothing to do with what others in the room think of me.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
04-09-2015, 04:29 AM
So how does this praying on deathbeds work?

Is it a silent or a vocal prayer?

Do you pray for God to forgive the dying person?
04-09-2015, 07:42 AM
(03-09-2015 06:28 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 08:58 PM)MattB Wrote:  She Regrets Not Praying with Her Dying Mother
(PWP)

http://goo.gl/eHRDaa

If it were my mother, specifically, I wouldn't pray with her. That's mostly because she knows my stance on this, and her asking me would piss me off. If it were one of my two daughters, I might reconsider.

(02-09-2015 08:58 PM)MattB Wrote:  "Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"

Perhaps. Similarly, should theists put aside their theism for a few moments in the presence of a dying atheist? Would they?

This is one of those double standards that rubs me the wrong way because I'm going through this shit with my wife, right now.
Would a dying atheist actually ask a theist not to pray for them? If the theist agreed that would be kind of like allowing the atheist to go to hell without any second thoughts. Personally that might be somewhat difficult for me to do. If I felt that this was the true wishes of said atheist I would most likely comply for each is ultimately responsible for his own destiny or fate.
04-09-2015, 07:47 AM
(03-09-2015 09:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think I would not pray. While it may seem dickish to some being honest with myself matters to me more.
But if you really, wholeheartedly, feel that there is no God then where would your folly be in helping someone else in their time of need?
04-09-2015, 07:53 AM
(04-09-2015 07:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 09:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think I would not pray. While it may seem dickish to some being honest with myself matters to me more.
But if you really, wholeheartedly, feel that there is no God then where would your folly be in helping someone else in their time of need?

Well you're making the estimation it will actually be helping them in some manner. While it's not certain it will to your or their perspective of easing them.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-09-2015, 08:58 AM
(04-09-2015 04:29 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  So how does this praying on deathbeds work?

Yeah, that's what I wanna know.

I think it's been about 10 years since I was asked to pray at a Thanksgiving dinner. I don't participate. I just look down and check my fingernails to see if the nail polish is chipped or if I have snags.

Girl_nails

Ok, looks good. Now let's get at that turkey!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
04-09-2015, 09:12 AM
(04-09-2015 04:29 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  So how does this praying on deathbeds work?

I think it depends on the person. Some people might pray for pain relief, for a miracle cure, for God to watch over them etc.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
04-09-2015, 09:13 AM
(04-09-2015 07:42 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 06:28 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  If it were my mother, specifically, I wouldn't pray with her. That's mostly because she knows my stance on this, and her asking me would piss me off. If it were one of my two daughters, I might reconsider.

Perhaps. Similarly, should theists put aside their theism for a few moments in the presence of a dying atheist? Would they?

This is one of those double standards that rubs me the wrong way because I'm going through this shit with my wife, right now.
Would a dying atheist actually ask a theist not to pray for them? If the theist agreed that would be kind of like allowing the atheist to go to hell without any second thoughts. Personally that might be somewhat difficult for me to do. If I felt that this was the true wishes of said atheist I would most likely comply for each is ultimately responsible for his own destiny or fate.

I would not ask for prayers--but if it made people feel better to pray--I would be fine with it (of course, I would ask that they not do it around me).

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post