"Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 09:34 AM
RE: "Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"
(04-09-2015 09:12 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 04:29 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  So how does this praying on deathbeds work?

Is it a silent or a vocal prayer?

Do you pray for God to forgive the dying person?

I think it depends on the person. Some people might pray for pain relief, for a miracle cure, for God to watch over them etc.
I think most religious, regardless of faith, upon their deathbed may be scared. The prayer that ask for would most likely be for forgiveness, ease of torment, and guidance, or safe passage into the hereafter and to God. They would most likely recollect past negativity and be worried about the implications of hell. They might be attempting to repent for past sins with honesty in hopes of gaining access to a peaceful eternity.

Just speculation though, really.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
04-09-2015, 08:30 PM
(04-09-2015 09:13 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 07:42 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Would a dying atheist actually ask a theist not to pray for them? If the theist agreed that would be kind of like allowing the atheist to go to hell without any second thoughts. Personally that might be somewhat difficult for me to do. If I felt that this was the true wishes of said atheist I would most likely comply for each is ultimately responsible for his own destiny or fate.

I would not ask for prayers--but if it made people feel better to pray--I would be fine with it (of course, I would ask that they not do it around me).
To literally pray for the eyes of men(women) is wrong.
04-09-2015, 09:07 PM
(04-09-2015 08:30 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 09:13 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I would not ask for prayers--but if it made people feel better to pray--I would be fine with it (of course, I would ask that they not do it around me).
To literally pray for the eyes of men(women) is wrong.

What does that even mean? Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2015, 09:29 PM
(04-09-2015 09:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 08:30 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  To literally pray for the eyes of men(women) is wrong.

What does that even mean? Facepalm
It means that if the individual was rightly guided in there theism they would most likely prefer to pray to God, not to people, or in the sight of people. So she wouldn't even have to be discomforted by having to insist that they prayer be held without her knowledge. If someone asked to be prayed for in their presence then that is different. But that doesn't pertain to her stance.
05-09-2015, 12:59 AM
Maybe, It depends on the person, circumstance and how you are feeling at the time.
I probably would, but at least before doing so remind them that I don't really believe and I am basically just doing it for them cuz I loves them so much and wanna make their last moments as happy as can be!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
05-09-2015, 03:12 AM
(04-09-2015 09:29 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 09:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  What does that even mean? Facepalm
It means that if the individual was rightly guided in there theism they would most likely prefer to pray to God, not to people, or in the sight of people. So she wouldn't even have to be discomforted by having to insist that they prayer be held without her knowledge. If someone asked to be prayed for in their presence then that is different. But that doesn't pertain to her stance.

How do you know that is the correct nature of theism or that persons theism? That doesn't apply to all ideas within various beliefs. Some people really do take in the nature of shared experience of humanity and people close to them in their religious ideas.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-09-2015, 04:06 AM
(04-09-2015 07:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 09:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think I would not pray. While it may seem dickish to some being honest with myself matters to me more.
But if you really, wholeheartedly, feel that there is no God then where would your folly be in helping someone else in their time of need?

In playing the part in primitive, superstitious and useless ritual. Got it or you need simpler it even more simple?

Also helping? Don't be (more) ridiculous.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-09-2015, 06:30 AM
(05-09-2015 04:06 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 07:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  But if you really, wholeheartedly, feel that there is no God then where would your folly be in helping someone else in their time of need?

In playing the part in primitive, superstitious and useless ritual. Got it or you need simpler it even more simple?

Also helping? Don't be (more) ridiculous.
Don't be negative or assume stupidity due to your lack of knowledge on a particular subject. Thanks.
05-09-2015, 06:43 AM
(05-09-2015 06:30 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Don't be negative or assume stupidity due to your lack of knowledge on a particular subject. Thanks.

Cool. I'll assume stupidity due to your lack of knowledge on any subject.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-09-2015, 07:20 AM
(05-09-2015 06:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 06:30 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Don't be negative or assume stupidity due to your lack of knowledge on a particular subject. Thanks.

Cool. I'll assume stupidity due to your lack of knowledge on any subject.
Cool. You keep assuming things while I keep learning them. Good luck.
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post