"Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2015, 02:17 PM
RE: "Should you push aside your atheism for a few moments?"
(05-09-2015 02:03 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 01:55 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Praising other gods is worship.
I can praise a gust of wind on a hot day and understand that God ultimately was responsible, and be thankful to him or it.

But praising a gust of wind is not the same thing as praising another god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-09-2015, 02:41 PM
(05-09-2015 02:17 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 02:03 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I can praise a gust of wind on a hot day and understand that God ultimately was responsible, and be thankful to him or it.

But praising a gust of wind is not the same thing as praising another god.
God created everything. If I want to call the wind a god I can. As long that it is understood that it is from the One God.
05-09-2015, 02:47 PM
(05-09-2015 02:41 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 02:17 PM)jennybee Wrote:  But praising a gust of wind is not the same thing as praising another god.
God created everything. If I want to call the wind a god I can. As long that it is understood that it is from the One God.

Yeah you can. I'm just stating what the Bible says and that it is very clear that God is very much against that. If you told any pastor I know that you were praising other gods ( even doing so in God's name) they would definitely say there was a problem with that in terms of Scripture. But of course, you can believe anything you want.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
05-09-2015, 02:53 PM
(05-09-2015 02:47 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 02:41 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  God created everything. If I want to call the wind a god I can. As long that it is understood that it is from the One God.

Yeah you can. I'm just stating what the Bible says and that it is very clear that God is very much against that. If you told any pastor I know that you were praising other gods ( even doing so in God's name) they would definitely say there was a problem with that in terms of Scripture. But of course, you can believe anything you want.
Again, being thankful for something that is from God is not idol worship. Everything is from the One God. So what scripture are you referring to exactly? Most pastors would claim unification of peaceful religions under the One God is blasphemous as well. However, that just isn't the case.
05-09-2015, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 03:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-09-2015 09:38 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Needless, I didn't pray during that service, since by then I'd forgot everything except that part about Green's Theorem in the Plane in my EM theory class. Big Grin

I do see God when I pray. But I need a prophet to explain it to me. Big Grin

[Image: euler2-2.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
05-09-2015, 03:14 PM
(05-09-2015 02:53 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 02:47 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah you can. I'm just stating what the Bible says and that it is very clear that God is very much against that. If you told any pastor I know that you were praising other gods ( even doing so in God's name) they would definitely say there was a problem with that in terms of Scripture. But of course, you can believe anything you want.
Again, being thankful for something that is from God is not idol worship. Everything is from the One God. So what scripture are you referring to exactly? Most pastors would claim unification of peaceful religions under the One God is blasphemous as well. However, that just isn't the case.

But you weren't talking about being thankful for something earlier. You were talking about praying a Hindu prayer meant for a Hindu god and saying you could say it to your God. I mentioned one of God's fave parts of scripture earlier that refers to his disgust for idol worship(i.e. his Ten Commandments).
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
05-09-2015, 04:05 PM
(02-09-2015 09:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I would've prayed. But that's just me. Make your own call. It's not like atheism is proscriptive.
At this point (approaching 20 years of unbelief) it would be well nigh impossible for me to fake praying no matter how accommodating I wanted to be. It's dishonest and fake. I would try, I suppose, but I almost think my attempt would be worse than nothing.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
05-09-2015, 04:25 PM
(05-09-2015 02:00 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 01:48 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  There's quite a few Jews and Muslims who'd beg to differ with you.
And Christians. However, it is written and prophesied in the core scriptures of all three. There will be unity of true Faith. There are twelve schools or churches or candles. They will unite, or man will fall.

There's all kinds of books of prophecy. The Hindu book of prophecy, Kalki Purana and the Chinese book of prophecy, Tui bei tu, have all kinds of crap people have interpreted to become true. "Interpreted" is the key to word here. Meaning there's all sorts of leeway and flexibility for the gibberish to mean something important. The Babble is no better.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-09-2015, 04:27 PM
(05-09-2015 04:05 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 09:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I would've prayed. But that's just me. Make your own call. It's not like atheism is proscriptive.
At this point (approaching 20 years of unbelief) it would be well nigh impossible for me to fake praying no matter how accommodating I wanted to be. It's dishonest and fake. I would try, I suppose, but I almost think my attempt would be worse than nothing.

Your effort is what would be appreciated.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-09-2015, 04:49 PM
(05-09-2015 04:05 PM)mordant Wrote:  

I guess that's the plus about being raised Catholic...no thought when it comes to prayer...just rote recitation.

Free form prayer mystified me when I moved to the south. I had never heard such things before...lots of 'Father Gods' and other key words and phrases like 'nourish my body'...blah, blah, blah. Although they were supposedly made up on the spot and heartfelt, after a while they even sounded scripted.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat