Should your opinions outside the workplace get you fired?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Should your opinions outside the workplace get you fired?
I personally think once you step off the premises your employer should have absolutely no right to interfere with what you think or say. I don't care how much it's against their own opinions/beliefs. Work should stay at work.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
22-01-2014, 10:08 AM
RE: Should your opinions outside the workplace get you fired?
It depends on the relationship between your feelings and your job.

I am a journalist. You bet I am careful what I say about politics in public (even though I don't cover politics except in limited circumstances). My views have a direct effect on my reputation as being an impartial observer and chronicler of events.

The pastor of a church has no expectation that he can live for a year as an atheist and keep his job as a pastor.

It depends on the job.

If I flip burgers at McDonald's, or even if I manage one, I would expect to have considerably more freedom, so long as my views do not intersect with my job duties (eg, if I declare I will not hire homosexuals because I don't agree with their lifestyle, that's not just a personal view -- it's a job performance/civil rights matter).

It depends on the job.

If I work for a school and in my spare time I edit the monthly publication of the North American Man Boy Love Association, I can expect to lose my job.

It depends on the job.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
22-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Depends on the job and the opinions.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post
22-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Depends on a lot of things. Not the least of which is that there are many states - they call themselves pro-business rather than anti-worker - where an employee can be fired for any reason whatever.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
22-01-2014, 11:12 AM
(22-01-2014 11:06 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Depends on a lot of things. Not the least of which is that there are many states - they call themselves pro-business rather than anti-worker - where an employee can be fired for any reason whatever.

Huh I thought that was everywhere? Unless you were in a union ?? Consider Or maybe I have just always lived in those states? PA, MN, NC?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
22-01-2014, 11:16 AM
I would want to see a cop fired should that cop express racist opinions.

Journalists in state owned broadcasting centers such as the BBC are also fired if they abuse air time to propagate their opinions.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
22-01-2014, 11:50 AM
I've only been in jobs where the employment can be terminated at any time for any reason. Unless you can prove discrimination (usually impossible) then you are screwed. I think the employer should be free to fire his employees for any reason, unless it is discrimination against a protected class of peoples.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
22-01-2014, 12:06 PM
It depends on the subject. Some people don't have a very high opinion of the company they work for. That's fine, but they should keep such opinions to themselves, if they want to stay working for the company.

I have read that some people have made such opinions known on social network sites and have got in trouble with the boss.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
22-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Some companies require you to sign a handbook or other employment agreement. If they specify code of conduct violations outside of the workplace and you sign it, they have every right to let you go. Lesson there: if you are going to sign and agree then you need to comply or face the consequences.

But, as has been mentioned, when you are in a 'right to work' state...you can be fired for anything or nothing at all and your chances of fighting it pretty much worthless.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
22-01-2014, 03:44 PM
I know places (restaurants, stores, retail, etc) that'll fire you if you post a picture of yourself wearin your work clothes/tag on social networking.

They can pretty much fire you for anything they don't like. Just depends on your employer I suppose.