Shouldn't courts hand out punishment more objectively?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2012, 09:43 PM
RE: Shouldn't courts hand out punishment more objectively?
I thought part of the concept of a sentence of 5-10 was so that the judge has some leeway. Does the defendant have a criminal past or is this a first offense? Does the defendant show real remorse? That kind of thing. Indeterminate sentences allow for other circumstances to be weighed in on the sentence. There are variables in crimes of similar nature. Shouldn't there also be variables then in the punishment?

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

Ordained Dudeist Priest at Dudeism, the Church of the Latter-Day Dude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2012, 10:15 PM
(25-09-2012 09:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I thought part of the concept of a sentence of 5-10 was so that the judge has some leeway. Does the defendant have a criminal past or is this a first offense? Does the defendant show real remorse? That kind of thing. Indeterminate sentences allow for other circumstances to be weighed in on the sentence. There are variables in crimes of similar nature. Shouldn't there also be variables then in the punishment?

That's absolutely correct Thumbsup

The problem imo is that the criminal justice is absurd, is like trying to cure people with 17 century medicine, it just doesn't work right.

We now know that the worst criminals are often mentally ill and need treatment or something like that, the less dangerous are usually poor (you would be surprised on how much money is spent for every jailed criminal) so why don't just throw some money to them?

Current legal systems around the world are structurally outdated, is not just that there're bad laws, there can't be good laws any more... Find some new way to make laws and you'll be a hero Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
25-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Nothing wrong with the laws, it's with how criminals are dealt with.
Like you say, a lot have mental illnesses and such. Poverty causes crime etc...

You need to deal with the problem at the start of the chain (poor education, horrible parents etc..) rather then at the end of the chain (prison). You need to get those criminals doing something they can use outside of prison, like learn a trade or whatever rather then just doing nothing in prison (which in itself will solve a lot of problems as boredom causes trouble).
What needs to occur is we need to move past this "eye for an eye" and progress towards "what were the causes and how can we stop this from happening again".

God damn the world would be a better place if I was in charge.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
26-09-2012, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2012 03:11 PM by TrainWreck.)
(25-09-2012 10:15 PM)nach_in Wrote:  The problem imo is that the criminal justice is absurd, is like trying to cure people with 17 century medicine, it just doesn't work right.

We now know that the worst criminals are often mentally ill and need treatment or something like that, the less dangerous are usually poor (you would be surprised on how much money is spent for every jailed criminal) so why don't just throw some money to them?

Current legal systems around the world are structurally outdated, is not just that there're bad laws, there can't be good laws any more... Find some new way to make laws and you'll be a hero Tongue

Yeah, it would be a new constitution!!!!Sadcryface2
You think it might be something other than that???Weeping
What else could it be that would lead to better law making???

Yeah, the mental illness diagnosis for those "violent" criminals is going to be bipolar anger management and problem solving deficeincies; which are just fancy terms for underpriveledged and under educated, which stems from their parentage in the ghettos - stupid people breed and nurture stupid offspring.

It's just not that fucking difficult to figure out - society has been investigating this stuff for over fifty years with liberal social services, and where are we now? We are at the point of an over population of inadequate and slothful people.

It's the Bell Curve - STUPID! Where are you in the Bell Curve of intelligence?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
26-09-2012, 11:57 AM
(25-09-2012 10:41 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You need to get those criminals doing something they can use outside of prison, like learn a trade or whatever rather then just doing nothing in prison

God damn the world would be a better place if I was in charge.
You don't have what it takes.

The problem with vocational training is that they are stupid, and are not willing to accept their level of competency and compensation.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
27-09-2012, 02:16 AM
(25-09-2012 10:17 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 09:18 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Buddy, you, along with my legal studies teacher, are giving me the impression that the USA's justice system is a waste of money. Undecided
It's not a complete waste, the people are still being punished. It may be in different levels, but people are still having to deal with cosequences.

Unless they are filthy rich or famous, or both. Look at the amount of times that Lindsey Lohan would have been locked up for years if she was not rich and famous. Michael Vic should be in prison right now, instead he is still making million playing football and that piece of shit was given his own tv show where he will make even more millions. If our justice system was fair, he'd be in prison. If it ran the way I would like, we would have fed him to the dogs.
27-09-2012, 02:42 AM
(27-09-2012 02:16 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 10:17 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  It's not a complete waste, the people are still being punished. It may be in different levels, but people are still having to deal with cosequences.

Unless they are filthy rich or famous, or both. Look at the amount of times that Lindsey Lohan would have been locked up for years if she was not rich and famous. Michael Vic should be in prison right now, instead he is still making million playing football and that piece of shit was given his own tv show where he will make even more millions. If our justice system was fair, he'd be in prison. If it ran the way I would like, we would have fed him to the dogs.

Hear, hear!

[Image: peacock-spider-dance-o.gif]
The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
27-09-2012, 03:51 PM
(27-09-2012 02:16 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 10:17 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  It's not a complete waste, the people are still being punished. It may be in different levels, but people are still having to deal with cosequences.

Unless they are filthy rich or famous, or both. Look at the amount of times that Lindsey Lohan would have been locked up for years if she was not rich and famous.

Michael Vic should be in prison right now, instead he is still making million playing football and that piece of shit was given his own tv show where he will make even more millions. If our justice system was fair, he'd be in prison. If it ran the way I would like, we would have fed him to the dogs.
Vic did his time, and you are describing that he is now generating the employment of people who otherwise might not be. If you were an objective observer who did not feel sorry for himself maybe you would have recognized the better line of reason.

Lindsay is a special case, and ultimately she generates employment better on the outside than on the inside.

27-09-2012, 04:04 PM
(27-09-2012 03:51 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 02:16 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Unless they are filthy rich or famous, or both. Look at the amount of times that Lindsey Lohan would have been locked up for years if she was not rich and famous.

Michael Vic should be in prison right now, instead he is still making million playing football and that piece of shit was given his own tv show where he will make even more millions. If our justice system was fair, he'd be in prison. If it ran the way I would like, we would have fed him to the dogs.
Vic did his time, and you are describing that he is now generating the employment of people who otherwise might not be. If you were an objective observer who did not feel sorry for himself maybe you would have recognized the better line of reason.

Lindsay is a special case, and ultimately she generates employment better on the outside than on the inside.

Are you kidding me? If I did what either of them have done I wluld be in prison for thirty years at least. Vic did his time? Yeah right.
27-09-2012, 04:17 PM
How long do you want to pay for the imprisonment for dog fighting???

"Wake the fuck up," as Samual Jackson would suggest.

[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post