Shouldn't there be more cultures with near exact Noah stories?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2016, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2016 08:59 PM by seoq.)
If the flood happened shouldn't there be more cultures with near or even shared Noah stories? I'm not talking about great flood stories which can be explained with the commonality of widespread flooding. I'm talking about stories that can be arguably thought of as a "Noah story". Let's even discount populations and cultures that are found far from where the ark would have been built and landed, which is not justified since the biblical narrative states that all populations originate from Noah. With even these exemptions shouldn't the cultures in the immediate vicinity of the Jews share Noah stories? Why is it a story unique to the biblical narrative?

Edit: The story is obviously shared by non-Christian Jews and not unique to the Bible. Hopefully what I was trying to get across was clear despite this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2016, 08:49 PM
RE: Shouldn't there be more cultures with near exact Noah stories?
because it was a unique bullshit story.
[+] 5 users Like skyking's post
12-11-2016, 09:10 PM
I guess it takes a special kind of stupid to come up with a story like that.
[+] 5 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
12-11-2016, 09:11 PM
All those other cultures were evil and sinful so they were totally wiped out. Geesh.

Tongue

Rolleyes

Facepalm

Girl_nails

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
12-11-2016, 09:19 PM
(12-11-2016 08:48 PM)seoq Wrote:  If the flood happened shouldn't there be more cultures with near or even shared Noah stories? [...]

The Noah's ark story is just a myth, and the same myths don't necessarily carry across cultures. And you don't need to waste time debunking myths anyway.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
12-11-2016, 09:35 PM
The devil. Obviously the answer

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
13-11-2016, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2016 07:05 AM by Rahn127.)
The story of Utnapishtim in Gilgamesh predates the story of Noah by a couple thousand years (I think). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In the story, Utnapishtim is instructed by one of the gods to build a great ship and gather animals to bring with him and his family.

Enlil, the storm bringer, floods the world.

Some mild googling will reveal other flood myths that predate Noah.

If a world wide flood happened, I think one would expect only one such story to exist, that of the survivors Smile

In Skyrim there is a quote - "The best weapon techniques are passed down by the survivors."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
13-11-2016, 07:11 AM
(12-11-2016 08:48 PM)seoq Wrote:  If the flood happened shouldn't there be more cultures with near or even shared Noah stories? I'm not talking about great flood stories which can be explained with the commonality of widespread flooding. I'm talking about stories that can be arguably thought of as a "Noah story". Let's even discount populations and cultures that are found far from where the ark would have been built and landed, which is not justified since the biblical narrative states that all populations originate from Noah. With even these exemptions shouldn't the cultures in the immediate vicinity of the Jews share Noah stories? Why is it a story unique to the biblical narrative?

Edit: The story is obviously shared by non-Christian Jews and not unique to the Bible. Hopefully what I was trying to get across was clear despite this.

There were a number of flood stories that are undoubtedly the precursor to the Noahtic myth.

Every one of the 3 major global-effect myths in Genesis have their antecedents in Sumerian, Babylonia and Assyrian mythology.

The Babylonian Enuma Elis has the basic cosmology of the firmament in it that the Hebrews borrowed from.

The Sumerian myth of Enmerkar_and_the_Lord_of_Aratta is where they derived their Tower of Babel myth.

And of course you have several iterations of the Noahtic flood myth in the Sumerian (Ziusudra) , Babylonian (Gilgamesh) Akkadian (Atra-Hasis) myths

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
13-11-2016, 07:11 AM
(12-11-2016 09:11 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  All those other cultures were evil and sinful so they were totally wiped out. Geesh.

Tongue

Rolleyes

Facepalm

Girl_nails

This. The core of the Noah story is that the Chosen Few were the only survivors. This reinforces Christian belief that a planetary holocaust is the proper way to correct past mistakes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2016, 07:17 AM

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse