Shouldn't there be more cultures with near exact Noah stories?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2016, 09:34 AM
RE: Shouldn't there be more cultures with near exact Noah stories?
(14-11-2016 04:39 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  My personal favorite issue with the Noah flood story is Australia:

How did the marsupials (and only the marsupials) go from Mount Ararat to Australia, and yet not to New Zealand, since the *only* way to reach those locations is by boat, and why did Ham's descendants (the people who believe the story is literal usually think that each of Noah's kids was a different color: Shem was father of the Semitic peoples, Japheth was father of light-skinned ones, and Ham was father of all the dark-skinned people) all go to Africa except for one group that went in a totally different direction... apparently building a fleet of ships by which to carry only the marsupial animals across with them to the continent Down Under? Did the people packing all those marsupials on the boats to bring to Australia think, "Nah, fuck New Zealand."

They were fired to their various locations by volcanoes. Seriously, haven't you done the reading at all?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
15-11-2016, 08:12 PM
(14-11-2016 04:39 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  My personal favorite issue with the Noah flood story is Australia:

How did the marsupials (and only the marsupials) go from Mount Ararat to Australia, and yet not to New Zealand, since the *only* way to reach those locations is by boat, and why did Ham's descendants (the people who believe the story is literal usually think that each of Noah's kids was a different color: Shem was father of the Semitic peoples, Japheth was father of light-skinned ones, and Ham was father of all the dark-skinned people) all go to Africa except for one group that went in a totally different direction... apparently building a fleet of ships by which to carry only the marsupial animals across with them to the continent Down Under? Did the people packing all those marsupials on the boats to bring to Australia think, "Nah, fuck New Zealand."

The marsupials that were supposed to go to New Zealand got off early in South America because they were seasick. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2016, 08:23 PM

Also... which of the three-colored Noah's kids was the parent of the Asian, Native American, and Hindi peoples? Why is it that the writers of the story only accounted for the three types of human that were in proximity to the Middle East, rather than all the peoples of the world... especially given that even back then, Asian peoples made up half the world population, not a small "detail" to leave completely out of the picture.

The amount of mental gymnastics (or not thinking too much about it at all) it takes to believe in that ancient myth is amazing, to me. I could see accepting that BS as reality back in the dark ages, when we didn't know much about physics, geography, anthropology, or population genetics... but to still believe it today? Sheesh!
They are the curse of Ham Noah placed on him for seeing Noah drunk and naked... that he would go be an aboriginal and carry all the marsupials away

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
15-11-2016, 08:27 PM
(12-11-2016 09:11 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  All those other cultures were evil and sinful so they were totally wiped out. Geesh.

Tongue

Rolleyes

Facepalm

Girl_nails

Except the Egyptians. They kept right on building pyramids.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
16-11-2016, 10:58 AM
(15-11-2016 08:27 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 09:11 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  All those other cultures were evil and sinful so they were totally wiped out. Geesh.

Tongue

Rolleyes

Facepalm

Girl_nails

Except the Egyptians. They kept right on building pyramids.

They had underwater brick masons, like our underwater welders, today.

[Image: underwater-welding.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-11-2016, 12:38 PM
(14-11-2016 03:30 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 08:48 PM)seoq Wrote:  If the flood happened shouldn't there be more cultures with near or even shared Noah stories? I'm not talking about great flood stories which can be explained with the commonality of widespread flooding. I'm talking about stories that can be arguably thought of as a "Noah story". Let's even discount populations and cultures that are found far from where the ark would have been built and landed, which is not justified since the biblical narrative states that all populations originate from Noah. With even these exemptions shouldn't the cultures in the immediate vicinity of the Jews share Noah stories? Why is it a story unique to the biblical narrative?

Edit: The story is obviously shared by non-Christian Jews and not unique to the Bible. Hopefully what I was trying to get across was clear despite this.

As already mentioned, the Noah myth is directly plagiarized from earlier myths.

There are other cultures that have flood stories. Funny thing is, they always seem to coincide with the culture's proximity to living in flood planes.

But if the myth was actually true, there would be no other culture with flood stories, since they were all wiped out.

But of course, this is also wrong, since there are other cultures that have long histories that continued from before the time the flood allegedly happened, through post flood.

Yes!

Also I'd add that flood stories tend to happen where floods happen.

To them, and by their perspective it was the world.

Sometimes I really do feel like Sisyphus. Unsure

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post