Shoutbox and Recent Posts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Shoutbox and Recent Posts
Have you guys considered adding a shout box with a recent posts modification beside of it? This would have to be fully customized by your coders but I think it would look great on this forum and could even improve activity Smile Just another idea taken from an old forum of mine in the golden days.

The shout box would be for small talk and the recent threads would help users keep up with the latest discussions and topics. I know you can look for the black circles to appear but sometimes it gets boggled down with multiple discussions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 07:37 PM
RE: Shoutbox and Recent Posts
Not sure how the logistics would work out, but like the idea of a shoutbox.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
27-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Thats a good idea. I'm not sure how much load it would put on the system. Also for now i'm the only coder here that is doing stuff for the forum. So my time is limited to just me.. And I still need to earn a living..

If I do implement it I'd make it work web 2.0 style to reduce the load on the system. It would have a limited history.. Maybe the last 100 shouts. I'd make it so it doesn't require any database requests and can work directly from the session cookie allowing only registered users to use it..
27-04-2011, 08:11 PM
I know vBulletin has a few different ones which some use java, mysql, etc... the best ones are mysql because you simply have a small database and the administrators and staff can simply prune it via /prune. Some will cause a load on a server but if you find one that everyone uses and they give a good review about server load then it should be fine. Making your own actual shout box would be difficult but just customizing it to your likings with a recent posts would look great.

An example: [Image: untitlxqx.png]
27-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Instead of saving it to the database I was thinking about using memcached or a file where I delete the first line as I append new line once the line count is over x. It would be simple but efficient. Then I can just feed that to the client. I can support a long poll with ajax. It would have negligible load on the system since it doesn't require anything other than file and session variable access.

The emoticons could be parsed client side with javascript regex.
27-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Well if you don't see a threat of having to look through logs to see if someone should be banned or not then go for it Wink
01-05-2011, 02:08 AM
I'm liking the idea of a shoutbox with recent posts. I'm working to figure out how to implement this without a large hit on server load.

There are a few roadblocks stopping me from implementing it quickly. One is that MyBB doesn't have a shoutbox module for version 1.6. Only 1.4.

Second is that the shout-box isn't very resource friendly and doesn't have a 'recent posts addon'.

Currently to lookup recent posts it involves a running a search query over our database which would bog things down if every user repeatedly ran it. I'm considering making it a scheduled task that runs every 5 mins and caches the result. Then I just display the most recent snapshot instead of giving an absolute 'live view'.
The other thing I would do is make the shoutbox visible only to registered users. This would reduce load and almost remove the need to moderate the shoutbox.
I haven't seen a shoutbox that avoids bogging down the database. My preference would be to use memcached or a file for chat history. These methods still leave the option of writing history to a logfile if I really wanted to. I'm considering using xhr long poll to allow members to use the shoutbox almost like a Group Chat / Instant messenger program. I'd have xhr chat disabled by default and let people turn it on when they want to chat.

Holding open connections to apache can chew up server memory (~3MB per connection) so I'm considering other options. There are more simple services that can listen on another port and only chew up a few kB per connection.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Posts turning up blank Wicked Clown 4 56 Yesterday 02:04 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  "Show Posts" as default in Seraach opsiont? Taqiyya Mockingbird 7 90 27-03-2014 07:42 AM
Last Post: nach_in
  Can't "like" posts Fat Mac 11 308 04-01-2014 09:05 PM
Last Post: Lightvader
  Box, showing the most recent posts and threads The Germans are coming 24 536 27-12-2013 10:32 AM
Last Post: Anjele
  "Most liked posts" TwoCultSurvivor 36 834 18-08-2013 08:56 PM
Last Post: Ferdinand
  Posts per page option Chas 25 501 28-07-2013 02:05 AM
Last Post: Logica Humano
  Can't Search By Latest Posts By GirlyMan No More? GirlyMan 12 457 22-04-2013 02:56 AM
Last Post: DeepThought