Shouting Fire in a Crowded Theater

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Shouting Fire in a Crowded Theater
Please check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shouting_fi...ed_theater

The US government did much to suppress opposition to World War I. It destroyed the IWW through the Palmer Raids and jailed Eugene V. (for victory) Debs. It also suppressed political speech through this decision.

I always understood that shouting fire in a crowded theater was a good explanation of what one should not do. I never understood before that the phrase mistakenly compared legitimate political speech with that which is understandably threatening to others.

The above must be credited to a post in the Atheists and Theists forum.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2013, 08:24 AM
RE: Shouting Fire in a Crowded Theater
(28-04-2013 02:23 PM)JAH Wrote:  I always understood that shouting fire in a crowded theater was a good explanation of what one should not do. I never understood before that the phrase mistakenly compared legitimate political speech with that which is understandably threatening to others.

The real problem is shmucks who defend those who open fire in a crowded theater. They paint anyone who points out there might be a problem as "un-American" and an illiterate who can't read the COTUS. Jeeezus!

Michael G.
COGITO ERGO DEVS NON EST
[+] 1 user Likes Apikoros's post
30-04-2013, 01:34 PM
(30-04-2013 08:24 AM)Apikoros Wrote:  
(28-04-2013 02:23 PM)JAH Wrote:  I always understood that shouting fire in a crowded theater was a good explanation of what one should not do. I never understood before that the phrase mistakenly compared legitimate political speech with that which is understandably threatening to others.

The real problem is shmucks who defend those who open fire in a crowded theater. They paint anyone who points out there might be a problem as "un-American" and an illiterate who can't read the COTUS. Jeeezus!

They have the freedom to shoot back. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Quite right!

Michael G.
COGITO ERGO DEVS NON EST
30-04-2013, 03:03 PM
(30-04-2013 01:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 08:24 AM)Apikoros Wrote:  The real problem is shmucks who defend those who open fire in a crowded theater. They paint anyone who points out there might be a problem as "un-American" and an illiterate who can't read the COTUS. Jeeezus!

They have the freedom to shoot back. Drinking Beverage

Only, both demonstrably and statistically, one is normally not prepared or trained to do so. Drinking Beverage

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]