Show off your employment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2015, 08:26 PM
RE: Show off your employment
(05-09-2015 08:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 07:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Been at my current job less than a year and I'm loving it, mostly because of the unique schedule, where I get two weeks off per month. I'm basically an overpaid security guard. The isolation which I consider to be a perk brings with it the need for a few additional skill sets (i.e. search and rescue training, cold weather operations, etc.) and makes it harder to find people willing to do it, so the pay is like quadruple what it would be in an urban area.

I'm on a two week rotation as an asset protection officer at a remote mine site in middle of nowhere, Canada. At the beginning of a rotation, I hop on a plane and fly to the site, which has no roads going to it aside from the ice truck road for about 3 weeks during the winter. The site is completely self contained and provides lodging, food, a gym, a swimming pool, wifi... It's quite well equipped for being in such an isolated area. I do 12 hours shifts for 14 days straight, then I hop on the plane and change with the next rotation and take two weeks off.

I'm also still a cavalry scout with the U.S. Army National Guard despite living in Canada, and during my off time I head to Vermont for a few days of weekend warrior fun. We also fit in a few extended training outings throughout the year, ranging from the typical annual training to extras like mountaineering.

I don't have much in the way of media for my civilian job, but here's a video our brigade's public affairs put together for our training in Fort Drum a couple years ago, as well as a little pic compilation video of some training at Vermont's pride and joy, the Mountain Warfare School.

So disappointed. Weeping

All this time I thought you were a Ninja assassin.

Maybe he is and that is his cover story so no one knows his true identity. Shocking

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2015, 08:27 PM
I'm sort of semi-retired, after being "synergized" when the biotech I'd worked for 25 years got bought. Stock options have given me the luxury of not being desperate trying to make ends meet (plus my mortgage was paid off years ago), so I can spend time doing part time work in my first love, aviation. My new career tools have changed from a telephone and computer keyboard to a telescoping mirror and a high powered flashlight doing inspections on light aircraft, and much of the maintenance for an aero club at one airport and a flight school at another, plus for private owners at airports throughout the Bay Area.

What's nice about working on airplanes is the standards are high, by law. Shortcuts aren't just frowned on, they're illegal. I get arguments, but my signature literally makes an airplane airworthy, so I always win the arguments. Where I don't always win is in the remuneration. There just ain't no money in light airplane upkeep, even though the cost of parts is generally insane (if you think housing costs in San Francisco are insane try buying a fairing for a Cessna).

But I get to make my favorite machines impeccable mechanically, and I'll never get over the satisfaction of watching what was a pile of parts on the bench take flight because it was my work that made it flyable, albeit the responsibility is sometimes daunting. My principal mentor was a Pan Am inspector for decades until Pan Am's demise, and he still takes to heart the sign painted the full length of the Pan Am maintenance hangar in New York: "Passengers and Crew Stake Their Lives on Your Work; Do Not Let Them Down." A credo I try to keep in mind everytime I start in on an airplane with the screwdriver, mirror and flashlight.
[+] 4 users Like Airportkid's post
05-09-2015, 08:31 PM
(05-09-2015 08:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 07:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Been at my current job less than a year and I'm loving it, mostly because of the unique schedule, where I get two weeks off per month. I'm basically an overpaid security guard. The isolation which I consider to be a perk brings with it the need for a few additional skill sets (i.e. search and rescue training, cold weather operations, etc.) and makes it harder to find people willing to do it, so the pay is like quadruple what it would be in an urban area.

I'm on a two week rotation as an asset protection officer at a remote mine site in middle of nowhere, Canada. At the beginning of a rotation, I hop on a plane and fly to the site, which has no roads going to it aside from the ice truck road for about 3 weeks during the winter. The site is completely self contained and provides lodging, food, a gym, a swimming pool, wifi... It's quite well equipped for being in such an isolated area. I do 12 hours shifts for 14 days straight, then I hop on the plane and change with the next rotation and take two weeks off.

I'm also still a cavalry scout with the U.S. Army National Guard despite living in Canada, and during my off time I head to Vermont for a few days of weekend warrior fun. We also fit in a few extended training outings throughout the year, ranging from the typical annual training to extras like mountaineering.

I don't have much in the way of media for my civilian job, but here's a video our brigade's public affairs put together for our training in Fort Drum a couple years ago, as well as a little pic compilation video of some training at Vermont's pride and joy, the Mountain Warfare School.

So disappointed. Weeping

Only part time Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
05-09-2015, 08:38 PM
(05-09-2015 08:26 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 08:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So disappointed. Weeping

Maybe he is and that is his cover story so no one knows his true identity. Shocking

The secret squirrel days are done. I lost my security clearance when I decided the best way to learn Chinese was to make friends with a bunch of illegal aliens, and sealed the deal after I left the military (the first time) and moved to China to continue on that path. When I came back and eventually rejoined and handed in my clearance application, we shared a laugh. Now everything I do in the military is, more or less, conventional. And, yes, part time.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
05-09-2015, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 09:00 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I'm actually still in school, but I work as a Clinical Data Analyst for a huge Cardiology Dept. I do whatever I wanna. Tongue I can work from home if I chose, and come and go when I want, as long as the work gets done. I'm working on automating some of our chart abstractions for the regulatory fellers, so the data imports by running a clarity report on the electronic records, and all I have to do is validate them. I never expected to get it when I applied ... better watch out what ya wish for, ya might get it. Weeping Trouble is, I love it and they pay me well, and the docs like me. I do miss working out on the floor at tele though .. and all my friends in the ED/CCUs/ICUs. Hopefully when I go to med school, they'll still be around.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-09-2015, 09:07 PM
I mope around and bitch about how shit my life is.
The pays shit. I bitch about that too.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 8 users Like earmuffs's post
05-09-2015, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 09:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-09-2015 09:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I mope around and bitch about how shit my life is.

Before you take over the world, start with import/export of Maori goods. I got startup funds. Big Grin

[Image: kiwi-1.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-09-2015, 09:43 PM
(05-09-2015 09:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I mope around and bitch about how shit my life is.

I love you Muffs. You make me laugh.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-09-2015, 10:53 PM
I'm develop distributed software systems, especially control systems and especially in railways. Sometimes I write books or review conference papers relating to software architecture, especially REST software architecture. Sometimes I do systems engineering and tinker with open source software for systems modelling.

Other times I binge-watch anime and play with my kids.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
05-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Currently I am a stay at home mom. But before then I was a care provider for people with medical, mental, and physical disabilities. I spent a lot of time tending to medical needs and avoiding getting the crap beat out of me.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post