Show your Human side, tell us what you like

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
01-05-2011, 01:44 PM

Show your Human side, tell us what you like
Hi there buddy's, I've been reading the forums for awile, and I have found that everybody is just way to serious so I ask you: Why so serious? (jajaja, quote by the Joker from Batman the dark night).

So I'm opening this little forum to talk about what each one likes, let's start by me:

I like movies:
action, comedies, with a dense story, movies of Stanley Kubrick and David Linch, a couple of the Tim Burton's movies, among others. The one I consider the best actor is Johnny Depp.

My music:
Progressive Rock and metal, also some bands that are amusing like "auténticos decadentes" or "Bersuit Vergarabat" but they are just between what I like because they make me laugh.

My readings:
"travel to the seed" by Alejo Carpentier, because it tells an entire life backwards, and it is short.
"Alice in wonderland" by Lewis Carroll (I know it souds like a story for kids but it isn't quite like that if you actually read it, because it simply is too confuse and without logic).
"Harry Potter" by J.K. Rowling, this one needs no introduction.
"Dark Matery" by Phillip Pullman, the trilogy of "the golden compass", a very dense story and a very entertaining also...

Well mates, that's it for now, leave your own likenings, and if you can make jokes about something don't stop.

As always here is my best smile XD.
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
RE: Show your Human side, tell us what you like
JokingReaper

I think this is a great idea for a thread. To help us kick start the new forum section, would you mid if I moved this to "Freethinking Life"? It's intended to be a positive section, and something like this is perfect, since it's about what we like, and not necessarily about atheism. Up to you though.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2011, 03:51 AM
You've just won the...
Positive atheism award!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=151]
The positive atheism award is given to the poster of a tread that proves atheism is a positive way of living. Your reputation was given a +1. Congratulations!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
04-05-2011, 05:14 AM
I like video games! @_@

My favourite game series of all time is likely Mega Man. Big Grin I like the Classic series, the X series, the Z series, the ZX series, the Legends/DASH! series... pretty much all of it except the Network series. Tongue Mega Man has a very special place in my heart. <3

I also really love Morrowind/Oblivion, Fallout 3 (haven't played the others), Sonic (even the "Sonic Adventures" which have been given such a bad wrap Tongue), Disgaea, Minecraft, Badman, Patapon, Heavy Rain, pretty much any rhythm game (soft spot for Rock Band), Namco's "Tales of" series, Fat Princess, Mabinogi, LaTale, MapleStory, Super Mario Bros. 2 (I played that game SOOOOO often when I was in Japan without an internet connection Tongue), lots of Legend of Zelda (including Zelda II, believe it or not Tongue), 100% Orange Juice (little heard-of doujinishi game), and plenty more! I spent far too much of my time playing. Tongue But oh well. <3 LOL

I also love language! Big Grin I'm native English, conversational in Japanese, can read and write Spanish mostly without a hitch (terrible at listening/speaking, though), just learned how to read/write Hangul (Korean script) last week, and am looking forward to learning Lojban and Esperanto. Big Grin I'm mostly interested in Philology, which is the evolution of languages, and looking up etymologies for fun takes up a great deal of my time that I'm not spent playing video games. Tongue I also want to learn Czech, just for the nerdy pleasure of learning the language of my ancestors. Big Grin

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ebilekittae's post
04-05-2011, 06:38 AM
What I like? Funny you should ask that, nobody asked that for years... I like nature. Everything concerning nature, I used to be mountaineer and a free-climber. I also like working with computers, fixing and improving them. Smoke weed and watch movies. And while I'm working I love to write on this forum and collect new knowledge from the Internet... Oh, yeah, I also did Aikido for a few years, perfect zen...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
04-05-2011, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2011 08:07 AM by TheBeardedDude.)
I enjoy collecting and studying fossils. I am partial to invertebrates because they are often more complete and are much more numerous. I enjoy all things evolution and geology.

On the other side I am a big football fan, a big video game nerd and just a big nerd in general. I enjoy long walks on the beach and Pina Coladas Tongue. My favorite football teams include the 49ers (they will be better next year!!!) the TN Volunteers and the Syracuse Orange. Got into the 49ers during the heyday of Young and Rice and I have not looked back since...although I have been let down a few times. As far as games go I enjoy the Mass Effect series, Resident Evil 4 (RE5 was okay), Oblivion, Bad Company 2, Battlefield 2 and I am not ashamed to admit I still play Pokemon (okay I might be a little ashamed). I also enjoy reading but I spend most of my reading time these days reading articles in journals. Books I am currently reading (or at least have a bookmark in) are The Greatest Show on Earth, Darwin's Armada and The Dome (there are others but I kind of lost track). Favorite books that I have read include Rainbow Six, Without Remorse, The God Delusion, The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and The Splinter Cell series.

Oh and movies. I enjoyed Paul, Shaun of the Dead, Dumb and Dumber, The Shawshank Redemption, Little Miss Sunshine, The Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood), Harry Potter, Star Wars (told you I was a nerd), Life as a House, You Don't Know Jack, Despicable Me, Monsters Inc, The Pentagon Wars and The Princess Bride.

TV shows. Top Gear (UK of course), Cheers (just started watching it), Dexter, The Office (US), King of the Hill, Spaced (UK show with Simon Pegg), Firefly, Futurama and Family Guy.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
04-05-2011, 09:45 AM
TheBeardedDude Wrote:I am not ashamed to admit I still play Pokemon (okay I might be a little ashamed)

Don't be ashamed! Pokemon is awesome! xD

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ebilekittae's post
04-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I like nature. Sometimes I'll take my dogs and disappear in to the bush (We have 40 acres of it on our property) for hours, just walking around marveling at life.
I also love growing things. I have a huge garden, my living room looks like a jungle, and there's critters all over the place. I'm very into the sustainable living lifestyle, so I grow as much food as I can. (I just set up some watermelon plants in my south facing windows. Gonna see if I can get a few ripe watermelons early this year.) I breed ball pythons as a hobby, and hope to get my ultralight pilots permit soon. (I plan to get a weight shift trike in the next year or two). There's lots more, but basically I just like life. At 35 years old, I am finally (ok, that's pretty early. I'm a lucky guy) living my dream. My philosophy is, if you don't like hard work, you'll never get to work at what you like.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
04-05-2011, 10:48 AM
(04-05-2011 10:10 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I like nature. Sometimes I'll take my dogs and disappear in to the bush (We have 40 acres of it on our property) for hours, just walking around marveling at life.
I also love growing things. I have a huge garden, my living room looks like a jungle, and there's critters all over the place. I'm very into the sustainable living lifestyle, so I grow as much food as I can. (I just set up some watermelon plants in my south facing windows. Gonna see if I can get a few ripe watermelons early this year.) I breed ball pythons as a hobby, and hope to get my ultralight pilots permit soon. (I plan to get a weight shift trike in the next year or two). There's lots more, but basically I just like life. At 35 years old, I am finally (ok, that's pretty early. I'm a lucky guy) living my dream. My philosophy is, if you don't like hard work, you'll never get to work at what you like.

Breeding pythons for fun? Well...that is an intriguing activity.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
04-05-2011, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2011 02:40 PM by Observer.)
I like cooking...
I like selecting ingredients, reading recipes while thinking about how it must taste, and then later, try them out some time. I get a real kick out of tasting something in a restaurant, try to figure out how they made it, and try to copy it at home to get the same result. I treat myself on a specialty beer when I've won!

I like machinery, steam trains, motorcycles and airplanes in particular. I get a kick out of repairing things and watch them work again (which happens to be my job Smile)

I love my wife and making love to her Blush

I love walks in the forest.

I love green energy. I wish I had the budget and the time to create my own solar boiler.
One day I hope to use my talent as a technician in a green energy company.

(I like more things, abandoned buildings, photographing, my daughter Linde, ...)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.