Show your Human side, tell us what you like

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
04-05-2011, 03:08 PM
RE: Show your Human side, tell us what you like
I like drawing, painting, sketching as long as it looks good in my opinion. Romanticism and Surrealism are things i like to achieve. I'm intrigued by a child's naïvety, the way they can believe in everything, the way they can feel magic. That's also what i miss, but still try to achieve with each drawing I make.
I like escaping from daily routines by making a walk through nature. Nature is something extremely beautiful, even the small trees i walk across on my way to school can look amazing if you just look at them the right way. Of course i still prefer the wilderness of the forest, where nature could go as it pleased. Naturalized buildings fascinate me. To me it's the only way that a building can be in perfect harmony with it's environment, from the moment that nature takes it back.
When listening to music or watching a film I like to experience the atmosphere it creates. Songs like The Killing Moon from Echo and the Bunnymen or Claire de lune from Claude Debussy are two totally different genres, but they both give a stunning image of the night either through melody or by choosing the right effects to use. Of course this isn't the only reason why i could like a song, as long as it sounds good.
I also like playing videogames a lot. I especially like games that have awesome concepts in it: for example Folklore (Very cool concepts, and some very interesting fantasy worlds), Machinarium (great illustrative style with very well designed characters),The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Kokiri Forest with the skullkid is the part i liked the most, it's extremely atmospheric), Psychonauts ( Awesome story, Awesome style, Awesome characters, Awesome humor, Awesome game),...

Of course i could go on for a bit more, but I think I already wrote far too much Undecided
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm a gamer and I also love literature and music, lots and lots of music.

As far as gaming goes I've been gaming since I was just a baby, few years old. My parents both worked so my grandma baby sat me and she had an NES so we played Mario Bros. and Zelda together, good times. Smile I still have that NES, when she passed away it was the only thing I wanted besides a few photographs. More recently I've got all three consoles in my house but I never use my XBox 360 since I have no games for it and I'm more inclined to buy the PS3 version of multiplats. I play a variety of games too, from RPG to FPS but my collection is largely RPG based so I suppose that's where my loyalties lie Tongue

As for books I read mostly science fiction and fantasy in my spare time but I study literature at Trent U so I'm doing a lot of work with post-colonial theory which works since I'm a Canadian so we know a bit about being a colonial territory Tongue I also dabble in history, politics, and gender/queer theory but I'm not as well versed as I am other literary theories. Shakespeare is god, by the way.

As for music I'll listen to just about anything. I was just listening to some rock songs, switched it up to reggae, and now I'm on to rap/hip hop so it's all cool Tongue I do my best not to dismiss an entire genre, there's always something good out there. My favorite bands are Arcade Fire, who are just goddamn brilliant, and The Beatles and ultimately Radiohead, who are the best band in the world. Don't argue with me. It's impossible for anything else to be true Tongue

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Green's post
05-05-2011, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 10:39 AM by Glaucus.)
I enjoy building things most of all, it's the reason I'm going into engineering. LEGOS, models, medieval siege equipment, and computers are my favorites. Every year my university has our "Engineering Days" festival, so we build trebuchets, cardboard boats, concrete canoes, and soap box cars to compete with. I'm also getting a minor in renewable energy, so my current project is to make a small solar array for my laptop, but it's difficult as a poor (out-of-state) college student.

Otherwise, I enjoy video games. I recently found an inexpensive wii, so I've been playing things like Zelda and CoD on it. But I mostly play computer games on my child (the first computer I built). I really enjoy strategy games like Civilization IV and V, and the Total War series.

Then as a stress reliever during the school year, my roommates and I invite friends over each week to play board games like Risk, Settlers of Catan, Axis & Allies, Munchkin, and Telestrations.

And when I want to relax, I hike along the creek into the mountains with a book and just sit and read. I read mostly philosophy, mythology, and science books, but every now and then I look for a nice science fiction series (My favorite is the Foundation series by I. Asimov).

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
05-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Hmmm I'm a huge closet nerd. I love playing Xbox Live; Call of Duty, tinkering with my computers, and I even used to fix friends and families computers but I realized it's not fun then. I love all kinds of music; Rock, (To many types to name) Rap/HipHop, Dubstep, rarely I listen to country. I enjoy hunting, fishing, etc. I love gazing into the stars at night, the moon, and the sky in the day just thinking about what else is out there. I enjoy riding dirt bikes and all terrain vehicles. I have southern pride but do not associate myself with the southern imbeciles that are hicks, racists, and religious kooks.

I enjoy messing around in Photoshop, video editing software, and just anything to do with the computer and gaming consoles. I enjoy exercising and staying healthy and I love camping. One day I hope to either become a law enforcement officer or something to do with astronomy; huge leap of job choice there but I don't specialize in math and wish I could and it's going to be tough to achieve college education at the age of 19 with a child now but I'll do what I can.
05-05-2011, 10:49 AM
(05-05-2011 10:36 AM)Snuff Wrote:  I don't specialize in math and wish I could and it's going to be tough to achieve college education at the age of 19 with a child now but I'll do what I can.

For what it's worth, the engineers at my school mostly hate math (a lot of us pass with a C). We find it completely useless. The only math we enjoy is applied math in the engineering classes. So if you can make it through the math classes to your major classes, you'll find it much easier (it'll be easier to understand because it's regarding something you care about).

I like to compare taking general math classes to getting teeth pulled during a colonoscopy.

Good luck, and I hope that it works out for you!

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
05-05-2011, 01:54 PM
(05-05-2011 09:18 AM)Green Wrote:  My parents both worked so my grandma baby sat me and she had an NES so we played Mario Bros. and Zelda together, good times. Smile I still have that NES, when she passed away it was the only thing I wanted besides a few photographs.
That's an incredible beautiful story bro!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
05-05-2011, 06:32 PM
(05-05-2011 01:54 PM)The_observer Wrote:  That's an incredible beautiful story bro!

Yeah, it's on my shelf right now, I still have all her save games too on games like Zelda and Dragon Warrior. And I recently found a map in Zelda's box (it's a ratty old box, not really worth much beyond sentiment) and it had a world map in it with all my grandpa's notes scrawled on it like secret heart locations and what not. It means a lot to me, when he had cancer he played a lot of Zelda and he passed just a few months before I was born. I feel like it's a nice link between us since we never got to meet.

[+] 2 users Like Green's post
05-05-2011, 08:32 PM
I like photography, I'm a portrait photographer by trade. Recently I learned the art of vintage pin up and had so much fun!

I love reading, researching, and writing. I love stories. I love people's stories, and find humans super interesting. Before becoming a photographer, I went to secondary college for councilling children and youth. I'm fascinated with the complexity and beauty of people- no matter how 'ugly'. 

I love to do other artsy things like cook, draw, paint, crafting and blogging- or whatever creative outlet I feel I need.

I love animals. I have a german shepherd and a cat, I love to walk the dog. I love camping, hiking, going to the beach and visiting groomed gardens. 

I love a good debate sometimes, but rarely have the time to keep going on them, I get distracted easily. 

I love traveling. This summer my husband, two kids and I are road tripping from Canada down the west coast to San Diego and back up through Nevada to Montana and back for 4 weeks. 

I can get super philosophical and get quite obsessed about any certain subject. This is how I've reached this website. I am constantly seeking truth in the best way possible. 

On that note, I love documentaries. Food Inc, Blue Gold, Babies, Consuming Kids, and of course Religulous to name a few. Other movies are good, Kill Bill series is my favorite. 

Music. I listen, I try to play, and I (and my husband) collect instruments. The accordion is my favorite, but we have pianos, horned instruments, guitars and recently I've tried beatboxing. Yeah boi. 

I also love languages. I struggle with learning because I have diagnosed dyslexia and auditory dyslexia. I try hard to edit anything I write or text, it has become so important to me. Please ask for personal or professional blog if you like, I'd love to share Smile - my dyslexia story is on my personal one.  

Ok, sorry for the lengthy about-me. But if anyone has similar interests, I'd love to connect- like I said, I'd probably find you interesting Wink lol. 
06-05-2011, 12:37 AM
I love my fiancee, my lady friend and companion.
Well, education is my secondary love. I love learning more things about...everything.
Then there is work. Most people hate work. I inherited a work ethic from my father and maternal grandfather that make me rather bored if I miss work for more than 2 or 3 days. I need to feel useful.
I enjoy our pets. We have 3 kitties, a fishtank, bird and of course, my bearded dragon represents reptiles, the superior pet of any available.
Beer is definitely an interest. I don't like to get drunk so much anymore. I do like microbrews, craft brews and imports though. I like my beer flavorful and complex.
I like philosophy. I didn't know this until last september, but apparently philosophy is one of those subjects that just piques my interest. I've read a little (but not enough) Aristotle, Kant, Mill, Kierkegaard and Sartre, all primary source material. I've read secondary source material on plenty others and still I want more.
I'm interested in people. Philosophically and psychologically, as in what makes them tick? Why is your worldview different than mine? I want to know.
I have more superficial interests. I like music a lot, and I like walking, exploring places new to me and exercising.
Finally, I want to help someone somewhere. They don't even need to be human, they can be a rescue animal. I work two jobs and I'm going to school, so my time is limited. But someday I want to make a difference for a person or perhaps an animal rescued from abuse.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
06-05-2011, 02:28 AM
I enjoy every second I spend with my beautiful fiance and her amazing 4 year old son. I love our family.
Our 2 dogs who get on our nerves at times but I would not change a thing.
Baseball is a huge passion. I love everything about the game. Heck, I even have a blog and podcast.
Photography.
Music (all kinds except country and most pop)
Reading (a little of everything, really)
Technology. Computers. Everything about it. I always have to have the latest toys.