Shroud is legit!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2017, 04:35 PM
Shroud is legit!!!
Saw this on my overly religious SIL's FB page today and I actually laughed out loud. Gotta love a guy who is a Jew that is convinced the shroud is real but remains a Jew.

https://churchpop.com/2015/08/05/what-co...n-is-real/

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
07-02-2017, 05:57 PM
RE: Shroud is legit!!!
I thought they proved with like 98% accuracy (by carbon dating) that the material was from the 1300s?

Oh wait, this is 2017. The year of alternate facts.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
07-02-2017, 06:00 PM
I've said this before when someone else brought this up in another thread: If a shroud was found, it would not be surprising. There are religious artifacts from all different cultures and religions found all the time. All it would prove is that Jesus was a man who existed and then was crucified. So what? The Romans crucified all kinds of people--it was a common practice--as was the tradition of wrapping bodies in shrouds.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
07-02-2017, 06:54 PM
This reminded me of Christopher Buckley's The Relic Master.

I'm a bit sad about Buckley's decision not to write contemporary political satire anymore, but this book was pretty good, nevertheless.
07-02-2017, 07:42 PM
In 2009 Israeli archaeologist, Shimon Gibson found an actual 1st century burial shroud. Oddly, it was in separate pieces for the head and body in the manner described in the gospel not as a single sheet of cloth as envisioned by some 14th century French artist.

Gibson speculated that the reason the shroud was found was because this particular tomb had been sealed up and remained intact. The victim showed signs of both leprosy and tuberculosis so there would have been good reason not to go near him!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
08-02-2017, 11:14 PM
I particularly like this bit:

Quote:“It’s a pre-resurrection image, because if it were a post-resurrection image, it would be a living man – not a dead man,” he said, adding that science is unable to test for the sort of images that would be produced by a human body rising from the dead.

I mean, he's not technically wrong.
[+] 3 users Like leigh7911's post
09-02-2017, 12:10 AM
No.... but he is out of his fucking mind.

[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
09-02-2017, 04:49 AM
(08-02-2017 11:14 PM)leigh7911 Wrote:  I particularly like this bit:

Quote:“It’s a pre-resurrection image, because if it were a post-resurrection image, it would be a living man – not a dead man,” he said, adding that science is unable to test for the sort of images that would be produced by a human body rising from the dead.

[Image: 42431329.jpg]

Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
09-02-2017, 07:13 AM
(08-02-2017 11:14 PM)leigh7911 Wrote:  I particularly like this bit:

It's an image of an OLD Italian dude.
It's not an image of a 30 year old Near Eastern male.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Artwork - probably fairly gaudy at the time it was made but now faded to the point where the image is nearly invisible.

Anyway, the "Top of the Head Problem" crushes any thought that the fucking thing is real.

[Image: image26.png]

Note that the front of the head and the back of the head are separated by about a half inch so either "jesus" was a half inch thick or this thing was laid over a thin board!

Greet Gumby Jesus!

[Image: proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thethir...d71ed562b2]

[+] 8 users Like Minimalist's post