Shroud of Turin debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Shroud of Turin debate
If any of you are interested in debating idiots about the Shroud of Turin, Amazon religious forum has a discussion going on about the shroud. I used to debate religious nuts on Amazon but spend most of my time here.

Anyhoo, I've been getting email notification all week so the discussion has heated up again. If anyone is interested...

http://www.amazon.com/forum/religion/ref...WT2S9CKVT3

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-06-2016, 06:45 AM
RE: Shroud of Turin debate
(19-06-2016 09:06 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  If any of you are interested in debating idiots about the Shroud of Turin, Amazon religious forum has a discussion going on about the shroud. I used to debate religious nuts on Amazon but spend most of my time here.

Anyhoo, I've been getting email notification all week so the discussion has heated up again. If anyone is interested...

http://www.amazon.com/forum/religion/ref...WT2S9CKVT3

Yeah, no. There is no real debate; the evidence is overwhelming that it is a medieval pious fraud.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
20-06-2016, 07:52 AM
"We should realize the importance of not making the common a priori presupposition of naturalism, so that we not automatically rule out anything that is beyond the laws of science as we currently understand them, so that we can follow the scientific evidence where it leads. When this is done, I believe that the scientific evidence indicates that the solution to the enigma of the shroud is that a burst of radiation occurred within the body that did three things:

1) It caused the image, perhaps either by protons or ultraviolet based on experiments.
2) It thrust the blood off of the body, heated it turning it into a liquid, and thrust it against and into the fibers of the shroud, and
3) It caused the shift in the C14 date from 30 to 1260 AD and the slope in the C14 dates as discussed above."

You can't make this stuff up. Well, I suppose you can. Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Vosur's post
20-06-2016, 08:24 AM
(20-06-2016 07:52 AM)Vosur Wrote:  "We should realize the importance of not making the common a priori presupposition of naturalism, so that we not automatically rule out anything that is beyond the laws of science as we currently understand them, so that we can follow the scientific evidence where it leads.

Consider
Facepalm

He should be congratulated.
It's not that often we get that many non-sequiturs in one sentence.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-06-2016, 08:37 AM
(20-06-2016 07:52 AM)Vosur Wrote:  "We should realize the importance of not making the common a priori presupposition of naturalism, so that we not automatically rule out anything that is beyond the laws of science as we currently understand them, so that we can follow the scientific evidence where it leads. When this is done, I believe that the scientific evidence indicates that the solution to the enigma of the shroud is that a burst of radiation occurred within the body that did three things:

1) It caused the image, perhaps either by protons or ultraviolet based on experiments.
2) It thrust the blood off of the body, heated it turning it into a liquid, and thrust it against and into the fibers of the shroud, and
3) It caused the shift in the C14 date from 30 to 1260 AD and the slope in the C14 dates as discussed above."

You can't make this stuff up. Well, I suppose you can. Laugh out load

[Image: holy-fucking-shit_o_2404479.jpg]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
20-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Uh-oh. I think I opened up a can of worms.

(I've gotten five more email notifications this morning from Amazon's Shroud of Turing discussion)

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-06-2016, 09:05 AM
(20-06-2016 08:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Uh-oh. I think I opened up a can of worms.

(I've gotten five more email notifications this morning from Amazon's Shroud of Turing discussion)

I give you credit. I can't debate true believers before coffee Tongue
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-06-2016, 09:08 AM
(20-06-2016 08:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Uh-oh. I think I opened up a can of worms.

Unsubscribe! Unsubscribe! Think of your brain cells Big Grin
[+] 7 users Like skyking's post
20-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Wow I've never debated anyone on Amazon, seems hilarious to me whenever I've ever been asked about the Shroud and mention that any carbon dating only goes back to the 1300's at best so clearly way after Jesus died but then they say "Well, that's the smoke from the fire, it messed up the dating." Oh, so you understand science now? Ok can you explain the theory that supports the image of a man being transferred into a cloth via resurrection voodoo? Oh you can't? Because it's magic right?

Anything that comes down to faith or mystical divine powers is automatically bullshit and if you respect carbon dating so much why don't you believe the Earth is billions of years old? Did smoke get into all the fossils and mess up the results too? Must be!

I loved it when they tested the blood and it was from a female and everyone's like "Yeah, his blood came from his mother so it will seem to be female b/c he didn't have a human father!" Ok, he was a man, we don't get our blood from our parents, it comes from our bodies. Anything from his hair, blood or skin should test as male, this isn't hard to understand, if his blood is showing as female than Jesus was a woman...or the shroud is fake, you gotta pick one.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post
20-06-2016, 01:09 PM
(20-06-2016 12:33 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Wow I've never debated anyone on Amazon, seems hilarious to me whenever I've ever been asked about the Shroud and mention that any carbon dating only goes back to the 1300's at best so clearly way after Jesus died but then they say "Well, that's the smoke from the fire, it messed up the dating." Oh, so you understand science now? Ok can you explain the theory that supports the image of a man being transferred into a cloth via resurrection voodoo? Oh you can't? Because it's magic right?

Anything that comes down to faith or mystical divine powers is automatically bullshit and if you respect carbon dating so much why don't you believe the Earth is billions of years old? Did smoke get into all the fossils and mess up the results too? Must be!

I loved it when they tested the blood and it was from a female and everyone's like "Yeah, his blood came from his mother so it will seem to be female b/c he didn't have a human father!" Ok, he was a man, we don't get our blood from our parents, it comes from our bodies. Anything from his hair, blood or skin should test as male, this isn't hard to understand, if his blood is showing as female than Jesus was a woman...or the shroud is fake, you gotta pick one.

I wish my like button worked. Love this. And thanks for the info about it being female I didn't know that.