Shut up! I am talking about human rights here!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2013, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 03:50 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
OK, I thought this kind of irony was in jokes only. Yet it seems to have come to reality ...

News Link

On May 22nd, in a Committee against Torture (CAT under the UN) meeting in Geneva, when the Japanese Human Rights Ambassador, Hideaki Ueda, was criticized by a representative from Mauritius on Japan's justice system, he defended his country, "Certainly, Japan is not in the Middle Ages. WE ARE one of the most advanced countries in this field (human rights)", and other committee members laughed.

"Don't laugh! Why you are laughing? Shut up! Shut up!" He accused those who had laughed with no hesitation. And he continued,

"We are one of the most advanced countries in this field. That is our pride, of course."

For a country that has constantly denied the comfort woman issue, continually refused chances to apologize for its war atrocities and always wanted to modify the Peace Constitution to gain the right to launch surprise military attacks again, that is some pride indeed.

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2013, 12:14 AM
RE: Shut up! I am talking about human rights here!
Diplomats Rolleyes
12-06-2013, 12:50 AM
It's interesting I was just reading annual reports on human rights violations on Amnesty International's website

The US report is around 4 pages long. Japan was the shortest I've seen so far. 1 page.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

12-06-2013, 02:38 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 02:41 AM by DeepThought.)
(12-06-2013 12:50 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Japan was the shortest I've seen so far. 1 page.

Bonzai!!!!!!!

Did it mention the kamikase bombers and suicide stuff that happened in WW2? What about all the war crimes Japan turned a blind eye to after the war?

The indoctrination that enabled this kind of behaviour could be considered a human rights violation.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
12-06-2013, 03:05 AM
(12-06-2013 12:50 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's interesting I was just reading annual reports on human rights violations on Amnesty International's website

The US report is around 4 pages long. Japan was the shortest I've seen so far. 1 page.

I acknowledge that Japan is doing well in many aspects of human rights.

And it is interesting that Japan seldom challenges China as the US often does in the realm of human rights, while Japan doesn't hesitate to raise territory disputes between it and China, regardless of a potential war.

Why? Interesting.

12-06-2013, 03:21 AM
(12-06-2013 03:05 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 12:50 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's interesting I was just reading annual reports on human rights violations on Amnesty International's website

I acknowledge that Japan is doing well in many aspects of human rights.

And it is interesting that Japan seldom challenges China as the US often does in the realm of human rights, while Japan doesn't hesitate to raise territory disputes between it and China, regardless of a potential war.

Why? Interesting.

Probably for the same reason Germany doesn't get to criticize Poland for it's policy on minorities. They lost the privilege due to previous actions. But due be careful with how smug you are about Human rights violations 1 is too many and we should all be opposed to those who wish to further their own power at the expense of others.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
12-06-2013, 03:36 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 03:56 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
(12-06-2013 03:21 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Probably for the same reason Germany doesn't get to criticize Poland for it's policy on minorities. They lost the privilege due to previous actions.

So Japan feels ashamed about its past terrible deeds, yet not shameful enough to say sorry? And it is not afraid of going to war with China over island disputes, yet it is afraid to confront China on human rights issues because it has mud on its face?

If so, then Japan is wrong again. It's not a trade that Japan plays nice when there are serious violations of human rights in China so that in this way it can avoid saying sorry for the atrocities its army has committed.

(12-06-2013 03:21 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  But due be careful with how smug you are about Human rights violations 1 is too many and we should all be opposed to those who wish to further their own power at the expense of others.

I totally agree.

And Japan should acknowledge its own problems and find practical solutions, and point out China's and others' problems and offer practical suggestions too.

Do you agree?

12-06-2013, 04:00 AM
It's so adorable when you of all people speak of human rights.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
12-06-2013, 07:21 AM
(12-06-2013 04:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's so adorable when you of all people speak of human rights.

Cool

12-06-2013, 10:50 AM
human rights are an imperialist lie... a good and beneficial lie, but a lie anyway Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post