Shutting up preachers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Shutting up preachers
I had an idea for getting (Christian) religious preachers to leave you alone. This could be on the street, on a forum, or some family members who hassle you constantly. I don't know how well it would work, but I thought it might be worth a try:

Say, "Fuck the Holy Spirit", or words to that effect. I'll say it right now. Fuck the Holy Spirit.

Quote:Mark 3:29

but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin

You're now beyond redemption so the person will be literally wasting their time trying to convert you. The good thing is that this is in the earliest of the four main Gospel stories. If someone pulls out some seemingly contradictory verse from a later story, then you can point out it's an attempt to retcon the text. God can't have been wrong initially, can he?

Do you think this would work? I was thinking that you only have to say this once to anyone who believes in this unforgivable sin and you're golden forever. Our resident Christians are welcome to chime in on whether they think I'm now beyond redemption.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Robvalue's post
01-07-2017, 08:57 PM
RE: Shutting up preachers
(01-07-2017 08:50 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Do you think this would work?

It likely wouldn't work for two reasons:

1) It's effectiveness depends on Christians knowing their own scriptures.

2) It's effectiveness depends on Christians taking their own scriptures seriously.

My experiences with Christians are that most like to call themselves "Christians" without really trying to live up to the word.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Thoreauvian's post
01-07-2017, 09:00 PM
(01-07-2017 08:57 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 08:50 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Do you think this would work?

It likely wouldn't work for two reasons:

1) It's effectiveness depends on Christians knowing their own scriptures.

2) It's effectiveness depends on Christians taking their own scriptures seriously.

My experiences with Christians are that most like to call themselves "Christians" without really trying to live up to the word.

I am wondering whether point (1) can be dealt with by simply quoting the above passage, and getting them to read it from their Bible themselves.

If they're just going to ignore what it says, as you mention in point (2), then you can laugh in their face. They clearly don't believe it's the "word of God", so why on Earth should you?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
01-07-2017, 09:06 PM
(01-07-2017 08:50 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I had an idea for getting (Christian) religious preachers to leave you alone. This could be on the street, on a forum, or some family members who hassle you constantly. I don't know how well it would work, but I thought it might be worth a try:

Say, "Fuck the Holy Spirit", or words to that effect. I'll say it right now. Fuck the Holy Spirit.

but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin

You're now beyond redemption so the person will be literally wasting their time trying to convert you. The good thing is that this is in the earliest of the four main Gospel stories. If someone pulls out some seemingly contradictory verse from a later story, then you can point out it's an attempt to retcon the text. God can't have been wrong initially, can he?

Do you think this would work? I was thinking that you only have to say this once to anyone who believes in this unforgivable sin and you're golden forever. Our resident Christians are welcome to chime in on whether they think I'm now beyond redemption.

I wish it would Rob, there was a blasphemy thread started here a few years ago:

The Blasphemy Thread

On the 3rd page the Uber-Asshole Christian The Q Continuum gets on the thread and decides to declare that only he knows the true definition/biblical interpretation of what blasphemy is.

I despised this particular Christian more than any other that visited this forum, he shifted words and biblical interpretations around to force his view onto everything while deciding any other interpretation was beneath HIS version of Christianity.

He would commence his interpretative dance on just about every thread he shit in. He was the most pretentious, arrogant asshole imaginable, an absolute intellectual abortion.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
01-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Wow. Is he worse than the dregs over at AF? There were some pretty shocking ones there.

Maybe this would work against some people, at least. Nothing to lose by trying but your soul Tongue

Edit: I see what you mean. As predicted, he's using a later story as a ret-con and calling God a liar first time round.

01-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Eat their dog.

I know I've suggested that solution in other situations too, but that's because it works so well.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
01-07-2017, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 09:26 PM by JesseB.)
(01-07-2017 08:50 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I had an idea for getting (Christian) religious preachers to leave you alone. This could be on the street, on a forum, or some family members who hassle you constantly. I don't know how well it would work, but I thought it might be worth a try:

>.> I have practiced a very epic super evil laugh.... when door to door ppl come to preach at me I say, "oh you don't want to talk to me" (evil laughter)

oddly enough that's all it takes they turn and walk away every time (sometimes they run it's kinda funny)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like JesseB's post
01-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Wouldn't work on many denominations.

Here's how my last Christian church explained the unpardonable/unforgivable sin:
First, you'd have to be part of the One True Church (theirs, naturally). You would then have to learn the Actual Truth. From there, you'd have to willingly turn your back on God and the Truth. Because you have learned and now know the Truth, you must now and forever adhere to such truth and teachings. We horrible atheists, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, other Christians, et cetera cannot commit this sin because we do not have the Truth. (I guess according to that church, I have.)

Caveat: Since Jesus has not returned and established his kingdom upon the Earth, we cannot even fully commit the unpardonable sin. Y'see, heathens, once Jeez returneth and maketh the kingdom, we will all be given another chance. So basically, since we are still alive and haven't learned the Actual Truth, we only run the risk of the unpardonable sin but have not actually committed it.

Yeah, I can't believe I believed that shit, either.
[+] 9 users Like Clockwork's post
01-07-2017, 09:27 PM
(01-07-2017 09:23 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Wouldn't work on many denominations.

Here's how my last Christian church explained the unpardonable/unforgivable sin:
First, you'd have to be part of the One True Church (theirs, naturally). You would then have to learn the Actual Truth. From there, you'd have to willingly turn your back on God and the Truth. Because you have learned and now know the Truth, you must now and forever adhere to such truth and teachings. We horrible atheists, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, other Christians, et cetera cannot commit this sin because we do not have the Truth. (I guess according to that church, I have.)

Caveat: Since Jesus has not returned and established his kingdom upon the Earth, we cannot even fully commit the unpardonable sin. Y'see, heathens, once Jeez returneth and maketh the kingdom, we will all be given another chance. So basically, since we are still alive and haven't learned the Actual Truth, we only run the risk of the unpardonable sin but have not actually committed it.

Yeah, I can't believe I believed that shit, either.

Wow, that's amazing! So God was just wasting time then, dealing with impossible hypothetical situations.

[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
01-07-2017, 09:31 PM
(01-07-2017 09:27 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Wow, that's amazing! So God was just wasting time then, dealing with impossible hypothetical situations.
He wastes so much time, it's like he's not even there for us.
[+] 5 users Like Clockwork's post