Shutting up preachers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2017, 12:45 PM
RE: Shutting up preachers
A good ol' problem of evil argument always works pretty well I find. They hate having their noses rubbed in the fact that their God is a dick. Also you can do the "but you guys have no evidence" schtick too. They hate that. Oh, you can always press them for why they believe the Bible is God's word in the first place. Most of them have never even thought to question it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-07-2017, 01:04 PM
>.> I say forget shutting up preachers.... How do we get SV to shut up? (cough)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
02-07-2017, 11:33 PM
(02-07-2017 01:04 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I say forget shutting up preachers.... How do we get SV to shut up? (cough)

[Image: no-spam-51.jpg]

Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
03-07-2017, 07:04 AM
(01-07-2017 09:06 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  On the 3rd page the Uber-Asshole Christian The Q Continuum gets on the thread and decides to declare that only he knows the true definition/biblical interpretation of what blasphemy is.

How dare you mention he-who-must-not-be-named.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
03-07-2017, 09:45 AM
I've yelled outrageous things at street preachers before

"I raped Christ! Pulled his pants down and got to fucking."

On and on. It's fun but it doesn't shut them up. It actually revs them up.
03-07-2017, 09:47 AM
(01-07-2017 08:50 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I had an idea for getting (Christian) religious preachers to leave you alone. This could be on the street, on a forum, or some family members who hassle you constantly. I don't know how well it would work, but I thought it might be worth a try:

Say, "Fuck the Holy Spirit", or words to that effect. I'll say it right now. Fuck the Holy Spirit.

Quote:Mark 3:29

but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin

You're now beyond redemption so the person will be literally wasting their time trying to convert you. The good thing is that this is in the earliest of the four main Gospel stories. If someone pulls out some seemingly contradictory verse from a later story, then you can point out it's an attempt to retcon the text. God can't have been wrong initially, can he?

Do you think this would work? I was thinking that you only have to say this once to anyone who believes in this unforgivable sin and you're golden forever. Our resident Christians are welcome to chime in on whether they think I'm now beyond redemption.

Most christians have never read enough bible to know verses you refer to. And even if, they will usually always still try to save your soul.

Here is my solution for preachers:

Person with flyer on the street:
Option 1: Bark "no" and keep walking without reduced speed.
Option 2: Take the flyer, drop it 2 steps later. oops
Option 3: Ignore and be happy

Person hassling you at work:
Option 1: No thanks.
Option 2: There is freedom of religion and freedom from religion. Because you keep hassling me about this, you are breaking the law. Leave me alone with this or I will report you to HR.
Option 3: Ignore and be happy.

Preacher at the door at home:
Option 1: This household does not follow your brand of Christity. Thanks, bye.
Option 2: No thanks.
Option 3: Keep door close / Close door without comment - be happy

Online:
Option 1: Use block and mute funtions
Option 2: Don't read threads with titles that are annoying to you
Option 3: Be rude and look like a dick
Option 4: "Honey I can't come to bed because someone on the internet is wrong!"

Church:
Don't go to church

You're welcome.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
03-07-2017, 12:49 PM
"Conjure up your deity to physically appear right now in this very place... or else."

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
03-07-2017, 01:24 PM
It wouldn't work. The preacher would be offended, but those with a deeper theological background would then want to debate if that actually counts as blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. There's a lot of disagreement as to what constitutes that action, including the thought behind it, because it's usually not a popular opinion to hold that one slip of the tongue in the heat of a moment alone would be enough to be the only "unforgiveable" sin. Then again, what do I know? Evangelical youth minister friend would have never even heard of that verse before, where in RCIA it's one of the things we debated about for an entire three hour session. Tongue

Saw one person mentioned door to door folks too, so fun story. Once had a Baptist preacher in Pennsylvania come to my door twice to save me from my Papism. Tongue When he asked if I'd been Saved, the first time, I told him yes. He started to go off on how Catholics aren't, "But I was a Baptist before this. Once Saved, Always Saved if you go by the Baptist interpretation of the 'Roman road'" (a popular Evangelical phrase referring to how Paul lays out salvation in Romans) "but then again, Paul also tells us later in Philippians to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. Why do you suppose that is Reverend?" He had to leave rather suddenly.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
03-07-2017, 07:13 PM
(01-07-2017 08:50 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I had an idea for getting (Christian) religious preachers to leave you alone. This could be on the street, on a forum, or some family members who hassle you constantly. I don't know how well it would work, but I thought it might be worth a try:

Say, "Fuck the Holy Spirit", or words to that effect. I'll say it right now. Fuck the Holy Spirit.

Quote:Mark 3:29

but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin

You're now beyond redemption so the person will be literally wasting their time trying to convert you. The good thing is that this is in the earliest of the four main Gospel stories. If someone pulls out some seemingly contradictory verse from a later story, then you can point out it's an attempt to retcon the text. God can't have been wrong initially, can he?

Do you think this would work? I was thinking that you only have to say this once to anyone who believes in this unforgivable sin and you're golden forever. Our resident Christians are welcome to chime in on whether they think I'm now beyond redemption.

No, you are not beyond the redemption. What you did/said is NOT a blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.
But it may work with all those Christians because they have no idea what sin against the Holy Ghost really is. They don't know. Only Mormons do.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
03-07-2017, 08:22 PM
I was a false Christian for some years. I guess I went along with it because it was expected of me. It was what one was "supposed" to feel so I pretended to feel it. Raised Baptist and baptized as a young teen. Again, going with the flow. By the time my daughter was, I guess, roughly ten she was invited to attend a friend's church. Whether she too was doing what was expected of her or really felt it, I won't hazard a guess at this point. (Her husband is fairly openly anti-organized-religion.) Anyway, she pushed me "back" until I again went with the flow and agreed to join her friend's local Methodist church with her.

One of the things I remember most about that was the FACT that the Baptist church of my childhood, which I had not attended at that point in at least 15 years, INSISTED upon proof of my joining another church before they would "release" me as a member of their own church.

So I suppose just stopping going to my local Methodist church is as much of a cop out as "going with the flow" was, and even though I haven't attended now in over 20 years, I am probably still technically a "member." I have wondered lately what their process would be to "release" me from their "fold." Still choosing my battles I guess. So ( to my shame) I guess I still have one foot in the closet.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post