Shutting up preachers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2017, 12:43 AM
RE: Shutting up preachers
(03-07-2017 07:13 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 08:50 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I had an idea for getting (Christian) religious preachers to leave you alone. This could be on the street, on a forum, or some family members who hassle you constantly. I don't know how well it would work, but I thought it might be worth a try:

Say, "Fuck the Holy Spirit", or words to that effect. I'll say it right now. Fuck the Holy Spirit.

You're now beyond redemption so the person will be literally wasting their time trying to convert you. The good thing is that this is in the earliest of the four main Gospel stories. If someone pulls out some seemingly contradictory verse from a later story, then you can point out it's an attempt to retcon the text. God can't have been wrong initially, can he?

Do you think this would work? I was thinking that you only have to say this once to anyone who believes in this unforgivable sin and you're golden forever. Our resident Christians are welcome to chime in on whether they think I'm now beyond redemption.

No, you are not beyond the redemption. What you did/said is NOT a blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.
But it may work with all those Christians because they have no idea what sin against the Holy Ghost really is. They don't know. Only Mormons do.

Laugh out load

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
04-07-2017, 03:03 AM
There are two types of preachers that I've seen:

1) bloke stood on a little step ladder just shouting at people in the streets, and getting into really heated arguments with some of those people as well. I doubt he'd accepts anything you say, and would probably attack you if you said fuck the holy spirit lol.

and 2) a chap who sings hymns in the street handing out leaflets. In all honesty, I don't mind that guy, he will politely offer out his leaflets and some people even sing with him. I'm an Atheist through and through, but that is the "nice" thing to see when you're walking, just a friendly man singing songs and being happy.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
04-07-2017, 08:16 AM
(04-07-2017 03:03 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  There are two types of preachers that I've seen:

1) bloke stood on a little step ladder just shouting at people in the streets, and getting into really heated arguments with some of those people as well. I doubt he'd accepts anything you say, and would probably attack you if you said fuck the holy spirit lol.

and 2) a chap who sings hymns in the street handing out leaflets. In all honesty, I don't mind that guy, he will politely offer out his leaflets and some people even sing with him. I'm an Atheist through and through, but that is the "nice" thing to see when you're walking, just a friendly man singing songs and being happy.
You're describing two types of street preachers.

More generically I found ministers of the gospel to consist mostly of well-meaning idealists, though they tend to become more cynical later in their careers out of the fatigue of dealing with real people's real problems and the growing realization of their impotence in the face of that. But there's a significant percentage who are just cynics who are into the power trip that a pastorate can represent to them.

I was in Seattle recently and some hellfire and brimstone type was driving down the street in a vehicle, hectoring people about their eternal souls with a bullhorn. This was near Pike Street Market. He appeared to be convinced that 100% of everyone in the market was selling their eternal souls to the devil somehow. At the time I was trying to sleep in a B&B that his damned bullhorn was penetrating so he never knew how close he came to mortality himself. I really wanted to go down to the street and pull him right out of the car for his impertinence.

I guess what i'm saying is that street preachers are a special case of preacher ... in the "egregious jackass" department.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
04-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Oh man, I've never really seen any other type. I seen those in a church, but most that I have seen are calm as they are on home turf. Never seen anybody driving about screaming at people.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
04-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Funnily enough two of my friends reported to me today that they were given/offered mental religious literature on the streets round here.

(03-07-2017 07:13 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 08:50 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I had an idea for getting (Christian) religious preachers to leave you alone. This could be on the street, on a forum, or some family members who hassle you constantly. I don't know how well it would work, but I thought it might be worth a try:

Say, "Fuck the Holy Spirit", or words to that effect. I'll say it right now. Fuck the Holy Spirit.

You're now beyond redemption so the person will be literally wasting their time trying to convert you. The good thing is that this is in the earliest of the four main Gospel stories. If someone pulls out some seemingly contradictory verse from a later story, then you can point out it's an attempt to retcon the text. God can't have been wrong initially, can he?

Do you think this would work? I was thinking that you only have to say this once to anyone who believes in this unforgivable sin and you're golden forever. Our resident Christians are welcome to chime in on whether they think I'm now beyond redemption.

No, you are not beyond the redemption. What you did/said is NOT a blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.
But it may work with all those Christians because they have no idea what sin against the Holy Ghost really is. They don't know. Only Mormons do.

So what can I do to blaspheme the Holy Spirit? If it's impossible or I have to coerce out of someone what it even means, then that makes the verse in the bible pretty stupid.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2017, 07:43 PM
(04-07-2017 11:58 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  So what can I do to blaspheme the Holy Spirit? If it's impossible or I have to coerce out of someone what it even means, then that makes the verse in the bible pretty stupid.

My money is on "I don't want to tell you to spare your soul" or "You have to be in my church for it to work" or "You wouldn't understand, being a heathen" or some similar woo answer.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
04-07-2017, 08:35 PM
"Hehehe... hehehehehahagagahsahsha.. HAHA HAHA!!"

*gasssp*

"AHGGGHHHHH-HAGAHAHAHAHAHAGA!!!"

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
05-07-2017, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 03:06 PM by TheInquisition.)
(04-07-2017 11:58 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Funnily enough two of my friends reported to me today that they were given/offered mental religious literature on the streets round here.

(03-07-2017 07:13 PM)Alla Wrote:  No, you are not beyond the redemption. What you did/said is NOT a blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.

So what can I do to blaspheme the Holy Spirit? If it's impossible or I have to coerce out of someone what it even means, then that makes the verse in the bible pretty stupid.

No true blasphemy Rolleyes

Leave it to Alla to create her own special category of fallacy.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
05-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Robvalue Wrote:So what can I do to blaspheme the Holy Spirit? If it's impossible or I have to coerce out of someone what it even means, then that makes the verse in the bible pretty stupid.
Ask those Christians who have the Bible only this question: "where does the Bible EXPLAIN what sin against the Holy Ghost is?" Trust me, they will not find even one verse.
So, they have no idea what it is.
But I will share with you what it is.
If one day God appears to you and gives you a revelation you WILL KNOW that it is God and that what He says is true. You will know it because the Holy Ghost has this special power to convince you about all truth. Only by the power of the Holy Ghost you can know ALL truth about eternity/God/Gods.
But if later you deny the testimony you received by the power of the Holy Ghost and you deny God and persecute His true Church then you sin against the Holy Ghost.
In other words: when you KNOW the truth and then DENY it you are in big trouble.
Until then you are OK, my friend.
P.S. But if you want all those annoying Christians to leave you alone, try your idea and good luck with that. But don't tell them what sin against the Holy Ghost is. You don't want to fail your brilliant plan.
You are very bright and brilliant person. It is my honest opinion. I like you so, so much, Robvalue

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
05-07-2017, 06:22 PM
(04-07-2017 07:43 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 11:58 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  So what can I do to blaspheme the Holy Spirit? If it's impossible or I have to coerce out of someone what it even means, then that makes the verse in the bible pretty stupid.

My money is on "I don't want to tell you to spare your soul" or "You have to be in my church for it to work" or "You wouldn't understand, being a heathen" or some similar woo answer.

I think you lost your money. Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED