English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2017, 09:20 PM
RE: Shutting up preachers
(05-07-2017 06:22 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 07:43 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  My money is on "I don't want to tell you to spare your soul" or "You have to be in my church for it to work" or "You wouldn't understand, being a heathen" or some similar woo answer.

I think you lost your money. Smile
Please post link to your answer. I've been sick, so I honestly probably just missed it.
05-07-2017, 10:05 PM
(05-07-2017 09:20 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 06:22 PM)Alla Wrote:  I think you lost your money. Smile
Please post link to your answer. I've been sick, so I honestly probably just missed it.

When you feel better you will find it. I hope you get well soon. SmileSmile

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
06-07-2017, 12:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2017 01:52 AM by Robvalue.)
(05-07-2017 06:18 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Robvalue Wrote:So what can I do to blaspheme the Holy Spirit? If it's impossible or I have to coerce out of someone what it even means, then that makes the verse in the bible pretty stupid.
Ask those Christians who have the Bible only this question: "where does the Bible EXPLAIN what sin against the Holy Ghost is?" Trust me, they will not find even one verse.
So, they have no idea what it is.
But I will share with you what it is.
If one day God appears to you and gives you a revelation you WILL KNOW that it is God and that what He says is true. You will know it because the Holy Ghost has this special power to convince you about all truth. Only by the power of the Holy Ghost you can know ALL truth about eternity/God/Gods.
But if later you deny the testimony you received by the power of the Holy Ghost and you deny God and persecute His true Church then you sin against the Holy Ghost.
In other words: when you KNOW the truth and then DENY it you are in big trouble.
Until then you are OK, my friend.
P.S. But if you want all those annoying Christians to leave you alone, try your idea and good luck with that. But don't tell them what sin against the Holy Ghost is. You don't want to fail your brilliant plan.
You are very bright and brilliant person. It is my honest opinion. I like you so, so much, Robvalue

Thank you very much for your kind words, I appreciate it Heart

I see. Well, if any version of "God" showed up, then I would know it is a real thing (assuming I had reason to believe I wasn't dreaming or hallucinating). I'd be a theist at that point.

If it decided to override my brain so that I had to "know" other things are also true based on just him showing me stuff, there's not much I could do about that.

Clearly I would think I knew this stuff at that point, although I'm no longer really me. I'm an augmented version with compromised thinking. I am naturally a sceptic, I try to challenge every belief and bit of "knowledge" I have. I never presume certainty on any matter.

Then... this version of me states that he doesn't know something that he does. That's just him either regaining some sort of sceptical thinking, or else being a dick. I'm not sure how this constitutes blasphemy.

Or if you're saying I refuse to join Christianity after "knowing" this stuff, then yes, I wouldn't join it. Not if I had any of "me" left in there. I don't care if it's true, that's not the issue.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2017, 07:06 AM
(01-07-2017 09:00 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 08:57 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  It likely wouldn't work for two reasons:

1) It's effectiveness depends on Christians knowing their own scriptures.

2) It's effectiveness depends on Christians taking their own scriptures seriously.

My experiences with Christians are that most like to call themselves "Christians" without really trying to live up to the word.

I am wondering whether point (1) can be dealt with by simply quoting the above passage, and getting them to read it from their Bible themselves.

If they're just going to ignore what it says, as you mention in point (2), then you can laugh in their face. They clearly don't believe it's the "word of God", so why on Earth should you?

There are bible verses that contradict that, or even if they don't, the most common belief is that you can only commit the sin by dying while not believing in The Holy Spirit.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
06-07-2017, 08:51 AM
(05-07-2017 10:05 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 09:20 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Please post link to your answer. I've been sick, so I honestly probably just missed it.

When you feel better you will find it. I hope you get well soon. SmileSmile
Thank you. I won't get better but thanks for the well wishes.

The reason I asked is because every sect and denomination has some version of the ultimate sin. The fact is that it doesn't exist, but only the last church I frequented gave me an answer. Crazy as they were (think some sort of mixture of Seventh Day Adventist and primitive Christian).

But if you're not able to answer, I understand. No one else ever has, either. If you're unwilling, then I suppose we have nothing more to discuss.

Either way, I wish you well.
06-07-2017, 02:02 PM
(03-07-2017 07:13 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 08:50 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I had an idea for getting (Christian) religious preachers to leave you alone. This could be on the street, on a forum, or some family members who hassle you constantly. I don't know how well it would work, but I thought it might be worth a try:

Say, "Fuck the Holy Spirit", or words to that effect. I'll say it right now. Fuck the Holy Spirit.

You're now beyond redemption so the person will be literally wasting their time trying to convert you. The good thing is that this is in the earliest of the four main Gospel stories. If someone pulls out some seemingly contradictory verse from a later story, then you can point out it's an attempt to retcon the text. God can't have been wrong initially, can he?

Do you think this would work? I was thinking that you only have to say this once to anyone who believes in this unforgivable sin and you're golden forever. Our resident Christians are welcome to chime in on whether they think I'm now beyond redemption.

No, you are not beyond the redemption. What you did/said is NOT a blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.
But it may work with all those Christians because they have no idea what sin against the Holy Ghost really is. They don't know. Only Mormons do.

Damn what do I gotta do to blaspheme the Holy Ghost? Fuck the holy ghost being all imaginary and full of holes n shit. If it's real it sucks, it it's not oh wait, yup it's not real. And even the idea of the Holy Ghost can go fuck itself. It can stick a wooden dildo up it's ass and choke on the splinters. Same for the imaginary god figure and jesus person too for that mater.

Is this blasphemy ?

Good now I can't be saved, kindly fuck off with the whole trying to save me bit now. Smile

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
06-07-2017, 07:34 PM
(06-07-2017 08:51 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 10:05 PM)Alla Wrote:  When you feel better you will find it. I hope you get well soon. SmileSmile
Thank you. I won't get better but thanks for the well wishes.

The reason I asked is because every sect and denomination has some version of the ultimate sin. The fact is that it doesn't exist, but only the last church I frequented gave me an answer. Crazy as they were (think some sort of mixture of Seventh Day Adventist and primitive Christian).

But if you're not able to answer, I understand. No one else ever has, either. If you're unwilling, then I suppose we have nothing more to discuss.

Either way, I wish you well.

This was my answer:
"If one day God appears to you and gives you a revelation you WILL KNOW that it is God and that what He says is true. You will know it because the Holy Ghost has this special power to convince you about all truth. Only by the power of the Holy Ghost you can know ALL truth about eternity/God/Gods.
But if later you deny the testimony you received by the power of the Holy Ghost and you deny God and persecute His true Church then you sin against the Holy Ghost.
In other words: when you KNOW the truth and then DENY it you are in big trouble.
Until then you are OK, my friend. "

06-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Robvalue Wrote:I see. Well, if any version of "God" showed up, then I would know it is a real thing (assuming I had reason to believe I wasn't dreaming or hallucinating). I'd be a theist at that point.
You would know that you see real person but how would you know that this real person is telling you the truth? How would you know that He is who He says He is? The answer: only by the power of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost can influence you the way that you would have no doubt that the person that tell you He is God, is telling the truth. You would be convinced.
But if later you deny that God is real and deny that things He told you are true then you deny that power that convinced you. You deny the power of the Holy Ghost. This is the sin against the Holy Ghost.
So, according to the scriptures it will be people who would do such thing. They would deny the truth not because they don't believe it any more but for different reason. Usually it is because they are angry at God because they disagree with Him on something.
Just to say stuff about the Holy Ghost using vulgar language especially while you are atheist is just a silly thing. I don't get angry at you when you do this.
P.S. Unlike in earthly courts in heavenly court those who do not know or do not understand the law are not accountable for breaking the law.

06-07-2017, 09:09 PM
(06-07-2017 07:34 PM)Alla Wrote:  This was my answer:
"...
Until then you are OK, my friend. "
So pretty much what I said about my last church. At least two churches agree!