Shutting up preachers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2017, 05:37 AM
RE: Shutting up preachers
(09-07-2017 02:40 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 03:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  Ok.
But when nobody tells me this, when I feel happy then I know what I feel.

But you do not know if you have been told. Remember that you agreed the Holy Ghost is indistinguishable from any other controlling agency. Your particular Dark Lord/Big Brother/One True/god/demon would make sure that that you are not aware of the extent of your programming, only its effect. Knowing what you feel fails to address the reason for the feeling.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-07-2017, 05:53 AM
(08-07-2017 12:53 PM)Alla Wrote:  In this life we live by faith (if we talk about eternal things and salivation of men) ...

Hume would say we live by faith in nearly all matters of philosophy or common life, not just eternal things and salvation of men. This is the unsolved problem of induction.

"It appears that, in single instances of the operation of bodies, we never can, by our utmost scrutiny, discover any thing but one event following another, without being able to comprehend any force or power by which the cause operates, or any connexion between it and its supposed effect. The same difficulty occurs in contemplating the operations of mind on body- where we observe the motion of the latter to follow upon the volition of the former, but are not able to observe or conceive the tie which binds together the motion and volition, or the energy by which the mind produces this effect. The authority of the will over its own faculties and ideas is not a whit more comprehensible: So that, upon the whole, there appears not, throughout all nature, any one instance of connexion which is conceivable by us. All events seem entirely loose and separate. One event follows another; but we never can observe any tie between them. They seemed conjoined, but never connected. And as we can have no idea of any thing which never appeared to our outward sense or inward sentiment, the necessary conclusion seems to be that we have no idea of connexion or force at all, and that these words are absolutely without meaning, when employed either in philosophical reasonings or common life."

Somebody's still got to make the donuts.

#sigh
12-07-2017, 12:00 AM
(09-07-2017 08:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  
mordant Wrote:I don't think what you post supports that claim. You said good / pleasant outcomes or "fruits" (or, in effect, your feelings) govern your judgments about whether something is likely to be true.
Results(fruits) are facts.
Q: What is the truth?
A: facts.
When I see that results(fruits) of my believes are good then I know that my believes are good. When my believes improve quality of my life(fruits) and bring me joy(fruit) I know that my believes are good.

This is simple confirmation bias, you are counting the hits and ignoring the misses. What about all the people who believe in the exact same things you do and their lives are miserable or unpleasant? Not in spite of those beliefs but BECAUSE of those beliefs.

People like this.

And this.

Utah, a state that is 62.6% Mormon on average and some places as high as 80%, has DOUBLE the rate of prescription anti-depressant use than the general public. Nearly 20% of the state is on anti-depressents by some accounts. Where the hell is everyone else's joy? Where are their fruits? Why is it that of the 10 most religious states in the US 6 are also on the list of most heavily medicated?

(10-07-2017 08:40 AM)theophilus Wrote:  We can make changes in the way we live but the only change that will make us acceptable to God is to be spiritually reborn and only God can make that change for us.

That's a caustic and abusive relationship than. It's also incredibly immoral and utterly lacking in self-responsibility.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
12-07-2017, 01:51 AM
(10-07-2017 08:40 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 08:37 PM)Alla Wrote:  1) we can change ourselves without knowledge of Gospel. There are many people who are not Christians but they change from bad person to good person, or from good person to better person.

We can make changes in the way we live but the only change that will make us acceptable to God is to be spiritually reborn and only God can make that change for us.

Quote:2)According to the Gospel of Christ we are children of God even before we come to this earth.

Are you a Mormon? This sounds like what they teach. John 1:11-13 says, "He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God." We can't become children of God is we already are children. What is this Gospel of Christ you refer to? It clearly isn't the same gospel that the Bible reveals.

Question.

How many christian denominations are there that say this exact phrase about EVERY other denomination other than their own?

Answer: A fucking ass ton.

Dude.... your bible reveals only what you want to see. Just like every other christian that agree's AND disagrees with you. I could do the same fucking thing with Harry Potter if I wanted to be intellectually dishonest with myself. Clearly you are full of shit.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post