Sick of being fat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Sick of being fat
I've always been a pretty big dude, but as of late it's beginning to take its toll on me. It hurts to do anything, especially in my legs and hips. I guess when your weight is orbiting the international numeric value for weed sessions it's bound to have a negative impact.

There was a time before that I was getting back on track. I read this book called Ultrametabolism, followed its prescriptions and lost 80 lbs in 6 months without even exercising. Then I met my wife and started sliding back into old habits. Having children, I want to make sure that I am around for them, but I also want to make sure that I am able to enjoy it. Which is not the case right now. I used to really enjoy hiking and still do, but it gets harder and harder to get out and going like this. I also used to be very active in kung fu, even as a big dude. You may not believe someone over 300 lbs could pull off a hurricane kick, but I used to do it all the time. Not anymore.

I guess I am just looking for moral support from the great peoples of this forum. Perhaps you have overcome something similar and have advice? Thanks for letting me vent, I am heading off to bed, but I look forward to your comments in the morning

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Octapulse's post
11-08-2015, 08:31 PM
RE: Sick of being fat
I've always been a fairly active person, but I did notice that after high school, I needed to watch what I ate and make a point of exercising. I used to be very skinny and could eat whatever I wanted in high school. Then as I got older, I realized I had to work a little harder to stay in shape. Going to Denny's at 3am after nights of binge drinking and living off a weekly diet of pizza and Fruity Pebbles as I did during my college days just wasn't cutting it anymore Tongue (The freshman fifteen, um no, mine was more like the freshman 30). I also wasn't exercising--like at all--whereas in high school I was very active with track and field hockey. I knew I had to do something because I just didn't feel healthy.

It was hard to get started again, but I made myself do it. I started running again, lifting light weights, doing pilates, and I went to the gym. I also became a personal trainer (part-time) which I worked around my work schedule. I changed my eating habits as well. I still have junk food once in awhile, but I try to eat it in moderation (as a treat).

Later on, I started doing yoga--and it truly keeps me on track because I absolutely love doing it. I also love hiking and backpacking. I think that's the key--to find an activity or activities that you love doing. It sounds like you really enjoyed kung-fu and hiking. It might be difficult to do them now--but maybe that could be your goal--to get yourself back in shape to be doing activities you love again.

In the meantime, how about just walking around your neighborhood or getting a personal trainer to work with you where you are now physically? Try and eat a low fat diet as well (really you can make all of your favorite recipes low fat and they still can taste really good.) And still allow yourself a treat now and then. Also keep a list of your motivations and post them somewhere so you can see them (kids, health etc.)

I know you can do this! Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
11-08-2015, 08:43 PM
(11-08-2015 08:00 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  I've always been a pretty big dude, but as of late it's beginning to take its toll on me. It hurts to do anything, especially in my legs and hips. I guess when your weight is orbiting the international numeric value for weed sessions it's bound to have a negative impact.

There was a time before that I was getting back on track. I read this book called Ultrametabolism, followed its prescriptions and lost 80 lbs in 6 months without even exercising. Then I met my wife and started sliding back into old habits. Having children, I want to make sure that I am around for them, but I also want to make sure that I am able to enjoy it. Which is not the case right now. I used to really enjoy hiking and still do, but it gets harder and harder to get out and going like this. I also used to be very active in kung fu, even as a big dude. You may not believe someone over 300 lbs could pull off a hurricane kick, but I used to do it all the time. Not anymore.

I guess I am just looking for moral support from the great peoples of this forum. Perhaps you have overcome something similar and have advice? Thanks for letting me vent, I am heading off to bed, but I look forward to your comments in the morning

Hug

I kinda understand how hard it is. I lack motivation and snack especially when I'm stressed, which is often.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-08-2015, 08:54 PM
It's hard to develop a taste for being hungry. But that's more'r less what you have to do.

The only "easy" way to lose weight is to get a dread disease, or a cocaine/meth habit.....

The "hard way" -- working out, and eating sensibly - is ultimately the best route....

And never quit trying.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Good luck Octapulse!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-08-2015, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 09:38 PM by BryanS.)
I wish I could tell you what will work for you. You're going to have to find what works for you. It's possible, but most people fail because it is hard work. For me, I never got to be as heavy as you have, but I did briefly after college weigh around 270 and am now about 180. There are a lot of people who pretend to have the answers--my advise below is only what worked for me over the years.

One piece of advise is try to start with simple changes that are permanent. Whatever changes you do implement have to be permanent or you will slack again The first changes you make won't be enough, but they will start having an impact. My first step was cutting out all sugary drinks and sodas. And no, "light" drinks aren't OK--they are still empty calories. Sodas were my caffein/pick me up all day long. Now it's coffee Smile. That change alone accounted for maybe 20 lb of my weight loss. Otherwise, over time I have changed my diet--I eat almost nothing pre-packaged and make my own food, which tends to be fairly simple things to put together. I eat no refined carbs and only a fairly modest amounts of whole grains (like one or two of what the package says is a serving in a given day). I read labels very carefully to avoid added sugars (like in dressings for example). Most my other carbohydrates come from fruits and vegetables. I also do not eat fat free--I could never eat like that permanently. My lunches are typically a huge salad with some protein added and a bunch of veggies I change up. Now, I am not a Nazi about my eating--I still live in the real world and have business lunches, go out to eat with friends, etc. When I do eat out, it is just more important to eat better the rest of the day/week.

I also exercise regularly. You might want to just try walking around the block once a day to get going. The exercise does not really cause weight loss directly, but it helps preserve muscle mass so that as you lose weight your metabolism stays higher. Weight lifting is especially helpful in that regard, but with the extra weight you carry, just walking around the block would actually be a vigorous workout. It's good to make exercise a habit, but never pick exercises that exhaust you or that you dred doing as part of your routine--it's not necessary and will only make you give it up.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
12-08-2015, 12:47 AM
I sorta assumed that the way life progressed was that you gradually got wider until you died. Then I started running obsessively just 'cos I liked it, and one day I noticed my jeans were too big... If you can find an exercise that you enjoy, do that. Kung fu sounds promising.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
12-08-2015, 12:51 AM
(12-08-2015 12:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  I sorta assumed that the way life progressed was that you gradually got wider until you died. Then I started running obsessively just 'cos I liked it, and one day I noticed my jeans were too big... If you can find an exercise that you enjoy, do that. Kung fu sounds promising.

[Image: kungfu.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-08-2015, 03:13 AM
Never ending Diet and exercise. Or just be comfortable being fat. At the end of the day, that is all you can really do.
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
12-08-2015, 03:32 AM
(12-08-2015 03:13 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Never ending Diet and exercise. Or just be comfortable being fat. At the end of the day, that is all you can really do.

PLEASE. GO. AWAY.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post