Sick of being fat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2015, 03:36 AM
RE: Sick of being fat
(12-08-2015 12:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 12:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  I sorta assumed that the way life progressed was that you gradually got wider until you died. Then I started running obsessively just 'cos I liked it, and one day I noticed my jeans were too big... If you can find an exercise that you enjoy, do that. Kung fu sounds promising.

[Image: kungfu.jpg]

I actually do. Am a fully qualified master but had to give t away after fracturing my spine back in the late 90's. Of course I was not a white belt here. Unsure why I am in that uniform.

[Image: Jumping_Side_Kick1.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
12-08-2015, 03:42 AM
Can you afford a gym membership to a place that has an indoor pool and maybe water aerobics classes? It would help you increase your aerobic capacity, burn calories (lose weight), and is low impact for your already stressed joints.

Once you drop enough weight to where your joints aren't hurting, then you can get back to the higher impact activities you enjoy. Maybe do a couch to 5K program for some of the fun races out there - like a foam run or zombie run. There are even couch to 5K apps that make zombie sounds in the background and have missions with them that make training more interesting. I've done a lot of mud runs/obstacle courses. Knowing you have an event you're signed up for adds that extra bit of motivation on days when you just wanna say fuck it.

Agreed on the no diet soft drinks. If you're a caffeine junkie - coffee and tea. Herbal teas are fun for the evening. Stevia is a great sweetener - it doesn't take long to get used to the flavor. If you don't like plain water, flavor it with sliced fruits.

A huge part of it is portion control. If you eat out, go ahead and get a to go box at the beginning of the meal and half your meal. Drinking a glass of ice water before a meal also helps with portion control.

You can do it!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
12-08-2015, 03:44 AM
(12-08-2015 03:36 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 12:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: kungfu.jpg]

I actually do. Am a fully qualified master but had to give t away after fracturing my spine back in the late 90's. Of course I was not a white belt here. Unsure why I am in that uniform.

The other guy looks pretty chilled to be taking a kick to the throat Consider

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-08-2015, 03:46 AM
(12-08-2015 03:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 03:36 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I actually do. Am a fully qualified master but had to give t away after fracturing my spine back in the late 90's. Of course I was not a white belt here. Unsure why I am in that uniform.

The other guy looks pretty chilled to be taking a kick to the throat Consider

I had loads of control. Still do but am out of practice big time. More control. Touching each gently.

[Image: Sissor_Kick1.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
12-08-2015, 03:56 AM
(11-08-2015 09:35 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I wish I could tell you what will work for you. You're going to have to find what works for you. It's possible, but most people fail because it is hard work. For me, I never got to be as heavy as you have, but I did briefly after college weigh around 270 and am now about 180. There are a lot of people who pretend to have the answers--my advise below is only what worked for me over the years.

One piece of advise is try to start with simple changes that are permanent. Whatever changes you do implement have to be permanent or you will slack again The first changes you make won't be enough, but they will start having an impact. My first step was cutting out all sugary drinks and sodas. And no, "light" drinks aren't OK--they are still empty calories. Sodas were my caffein/pick me up all day long. Now it's coffee Smile. That change alone accounted for maybe 20 lb of my weight loss. Otherwise, over time I have changed my diet--I eat almost nothing pre-packaged and make my own food, which tends to be fairly simple things to put together. I eat no refined carbs and only a fairly modest amounts of whole grains (like one or two of what the package says is a serving in a given day). I read labels very carefully to avoid added sugars (like in dressings for example). Most my other carbohydrates come from fruits and vegetables. I also do not eat fat free--I could never eat like that permanently. My lunches are typically a huge salad with some protein added and a bunch of veggies I change up. Now, I am not a Nazi about my eating--I still live in the real world and have business lunches, go out to eat with friends, etc. When I do eat out, it is just more important to eat better the rest of the day/week.

I also exercise regularly. You might want to just try walking around the block once a day to get going. The exercise does not really cause weight loss directly, but it helps preserve muscle mass so that as you lose weight your metabolism stays higher. Weight lifting is especially helpful in that regard, but with the extra weight you carry, just walking around the block would actually be a vigorous workout. It's good to make exercise a habit, but never pick exercises that exhaust you or that you dred doing as part of your routine--it's not necessary and will only make you give it up.

That was exactly how I ended up dropping the 80lbs, and I know that I need to6get back to that. What is really difficult is that despite my efforts, my wife constantly brings all kinds of crap in the house and when I ask her not too she tries to put me on a guilt trip saying that it's not fair for the kids. I know that if I can get past the one month mark without having sweets, then my body's craving for it will greatly diminish and it will be much easier.

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
12-08-2015, 04:00 AM
(12-08-2015 03:32 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 03:13 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Never ending Diet and exercise. Or just be comfortable being fat. At the end of the day, that is all you can really do.

PLEASE. GO. AWAY.

I know he tends to troll, but he's actually right about this. Diets are temporary which is why they don't work. It has to be a permanent lifestyle change

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
12-08-2015, 04:14 AM
I've made it a life goal to thru-hike the Appalachian trail from Georgia to Maine (all 2000+ miles of it). I know in order to accomplish that, there is a lot that needs to change.

Fortunately, I do have access to a gym with a pool and I agree that will be a good place to start along with taking my puppy Orion for walks. The changes I will permanently make today will be no more milk or cheese (unless a hard cheese like parmesan, romano), no more refined processed sugars (I include diet sodas in with this). If it doesn't come from fruit or the processing of complex carbs, then it doesn't enter my body (yes that also implies not eating refined carbs). Thank you all for your support and kindness!

[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
12-08-2015, 04:15 AM
(12-08-2015 03:56 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  That was exactly how I ended up dropping the 80lbs, and I know that I need to6get back to that. What is really difficult is that despite my efforts, my wife constantly brings all kinds of crap in the house and when I ask her not too she tries to put me on a guilt trip saying that it's not fair for the kids. I know that if I can get past the one month mark without having sweets, then my body's craving for it will greatly diminish and it will be much easier.

What's not fair to the kids is not bringing them up on a healthy diet, IMO.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 8 users Like morondog's post
12-08-2015, 04:30 AM
(12-08-2015 04:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 03:56 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  That was exactly how I ended up dropping the 80lbs, and I know that I need to6get back to that. What is really difficult is that despite my efforts, my wife constantly brings all kinds of crap in the house and when I ask her not too she tries to put me on a guilt trip saying that it's not fair for the kids. I know that if I can get past the one month mark without having sweets, then my body's craving for it will greatly diminish and it will be much easier.

What's not fair to the kids is not bringing them up on a healthy diet, IMO.

I've brought up that point as well

12-08-2015, 05:04 AM
Nurse mentioned portion control...I started that years ago and have stuck with it. I am not good about exercise and don't make the greatest food choices.

I noted that when I went back for seconds during a meal I wasn't going back for more salad. I was after the potatoes and gravy or whatever else was the least healthy thing on the menu.

So, I just stopped getting seconds...it wasn't as hard as it sounds. Then I just pushed past the whole 'you have to clean your plate' thing many of us were taught.

I haven't given up any foods, not even snack or desserts, I just eat less of everything.

That's worked well for me for the last twenty years.

Good luck!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post