Sick of being fat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2015, 05:05 AM
RE: Sick of being fat
Little changes that you can stick to permanently will do a lot. I used to deal with my love of fat and sugar by eating as much as I wanted but teaching 20 aerobics classes per week. In my 20s that was enough to keep my weight down, but obviously it was not a good long-term strategy. Eventually I have had to learn to eat way less and to avoid self-medicating with food when I'm stressed. (because I'm always stressed, or at least, I can always find a reason why today would be a great day to "reward" myself with peanut butter cups and wine) Also to realize that for me, as for many people, weight is going to be something to pay attention to my whole life. In my case it's about 25 pounds that likes to try to sneak on when I'm not watching; I blame my Norwegian grandmother, whose body type I seem to have inherited.

I sounds like you have some great plans and advice already, in terms of changing your diet and adding some exercise. It helps to experiment with healthy food until you find some you like a lot and build on that so that you don't feel deprived and resentful when your family is eating cookies or whatever. I also recommend making sure you have some strength training in your routine to keep up your muscle mass and not pushing until your body can take pushing. It's quite frustrating going all out for the first month and then injuring yourself.

I like to read and watch TV, and we have some exercise equipment in the basement that lets me do those activities while moving. I try to spend at least an hour a day on the treadmill and/or the bike, plus some resistance training, and I don't worry about the intensity at all, just go fast enough so that I break a sweat but not so fast that I can't keep going. I feel less guilty about watching Cutthroat Kitchen if I've walked 3 miles while doing so.

Good luck!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
12-08-2015, 05:05 AM
I just passed the first test of the day: my morning coffee. I usually put a shit ton of creamer in mine (the super sweet International Delights kind) and almost did that automatically this morning but I caught myself. Now I drink my coffee black, black like my soul

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Octapulse's post
12-08-2015, 06:10 AM
Although I still have FAT ASSES

I've lost weight due to metal drumming, you burn off a lot of calories with Slayer

And it helps to have the best coach against obesity

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
12-08-2015, 06:59 AM
(12-08-2015 06:10 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Although I still have FAT ASSES

I've lost weight due to metal drumming, you burn off a lot of calories with Slayer

You are on the Dave Lombardo workout plan? Kinda hard to skip leg day with all that double bass going on! Smile

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2015, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 12:58 PM by jennybee.)
(12-08-2015 04:30 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 04:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  What's not fair to the kids is not bringing them up on a healthy diet, IMO.

I've brought up that point as well

Are there junk foods that you don't like but that the kids do? Maybe you could ask your wife to buy those instead. I agree with morondog, it would be better to teach them healthy eating habits and only use junk food once in awhile as a treat. If your wife is unwilling to do this, maybe ask her if she could eliminate junk for just one month so you could get back on track. Then start eating healthier and make healthy snacks and meals for your kids and have them take a walk with you around the neighborhood. Lead by example and maybe your changes will rub off on them.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
12-08-2015, 07:15 AM
(12-08-2015 03:56 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 09:35 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I wish I could tell you what will work for you. You're going to have to find what works for you. It's possible, but most people fail because it is hard work. For me, I never got to be as heavy as you have, but I did briefly after college weigh around 270 and am now about 180. There are a lot of people who pretend to have the answers--my advise below is only what worked for me over the years.

One piece of advise is try to start with simple changes that are permanent. Whatever changes you do implement have to be permanent or you will slack again The first changes you make won't be enough, but they will start having an impact. My first step was cutting out all sugary drinks and sodas. And no, "light" drinks aren't OK--they are still empty calories. Sodas were my caffein/pick me up all day long. Now it's coffee Smile. That change alone accounted for maybe 20 lb of my weight loss. Otherwise, over time I have changed my diet--I eat almost nothing pre-packaged and make my own food, which tends to be fairly simple things to put together. I eat no refined carbs and only a fairly modest amounts of whole grains (like one or two of what the package says is a serving in a given day). I read labels very carefully to avoid added sugars (like in dressings for example). Most my other carbohydrates come from fruits and vegetables. I also do not eat fat free--I could never eat like that permanently. My lunches are typically a huge salad with some protein added and a bunch of veggies I change up. Now, I am not a Nazi about my eating--I still live in the real world and have business lunches, go out to eat with friends, etc. When I do eat out, it is just more important to eat better the rest of the day/week.

I also exercise regularly. You might want to just try walking around the block once a day to get going. The exercise does not really cause weight loss directly, but it helps preserve muscle mass so that as you lose weight your metabolism stays higher. Weight lifting is especially helpful in that regard, but with the extra weight you carry, just walking around the block would actually be a vigorous workout. It's good to make exercise a habit, but never pick exercises that exhaust you or that you dred doing as part of your routine--it's not necessary and will only make you give it up.

That was exactly how I ended up dropping the 80lbs, and I know that I need to6get back to that. What is really difficult is that despite my efforts, my wife constantly brings all kinds of crap in the house and when I ask her not too she tries to put me on a guilt trip saying that it's not fair for the kids. I know that if I can get past the one month mark without having sweets, then my body's craving for it will greatly diminish and it will be much easier.

I understand how that works--I never keep a bag of chips in the house, because once I start eating them, I eat a bag. That, and cheese Drooling . Neither of these are exactly diet foods Smile

I think it's appropriate for the whole family to be healthy. Kids are more active, so perhaps they are not overweight, or if they are, this would be a good time to make it a family effort. Chips, snacks, sweets, etc can all be replaced with healthier options. If your kids can come to appreciate a sweet treat that is based on whole fruits and less on baked goods, then they will develop healthy eating habits for life while you lose weight. Veggies with a hummus dip are so yummy, and a much healthier snack. Hummus comes in so many varieties that you are bound to find some that everyone likes. Point is, there are suitable replacements for snacks and junk foods that would be better nutrition for your kids, and help you with the weight loss.

I think it is unfair to you not to consider your health needs in the family food budget. But as a compromise, you could as a family decide on one or two junk food items per week that are single serving. It can also be difficult to never have treats ever, so limiting the stock in the house is a good way to control overdoing it. If your wife was like my mother, she'd buy a gallon of ice cream or multiple "family sized" bags of chips "for the kids" while my dad got up to 350lbs because temptation was always there. Neither me nor any of my siblings needed those snacks, and they did not help us develop healthy eating habits.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
12-08-2015, 07:24 AM
I made major diet changes and lost about 30lbs (14kg). Like others have said, find an exercise you like. Set realistic goals and do not deny yourself some good treats from time to time.

Good luck Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 4 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
12-08-2015, 07:40 AM
I hear you, Octapulse.
Although I was very active when I was younger, the stresses of family, middle age and a sedentary job have caught up with me to the point that now it's essential for my long-term health that I get back into shape.

If you have a desk job, one thing that has helped me start losing weight (about 10 lbs) and keep it off is a standing desk.
It can be a bit hard on the joints initially, but after a while, you'll wonder how you ever got work done without one.

I made my own from a sheet of melamine-coated particle board that I built into a large box and placed on my desk, and I used it for a year before my employer got around to purchasing a fancy attachment for my desk. Now my husband uses my old particle board box as a standing desk at his office.

If you decide to go this route, make sure you build something that is properly adjusted to your height, so you don't cause more problems than you solve. You'll also need a tall-ish bar stool to sit on when you get tired, especially initially, as well as a gel mat or similar surface to stand on, and comfortable shoes/runners.

Surprisingly, I found that using the standing desk improved my endurance (for biking, which I love) and helped heal many of my digestive issues. It's been a small change that's made a big difference!

Good luck!!

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 3 users Like Reducetarian's post
12-08-2015, 08:01 AM
(12-08-2015 03:42 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Can you afford a gym membership to a place that has an indoor pool and maybe water aerobics classes? It would help you increase your aerobic capacity, burn calories (lose weight), and is low impact for your already stressed joints.

Once you drop enough weight to where your joints aren't hurting, then you can get back to the higher impact activities you enjoy. Maybe do a couch to 5K program for some of the fun races out there - like a foam run or zombie run. There are even couch to 5K apps that make zombie sounds in the background and have missions with them that make training more interesting. I've done a lot of mud runs/obstacle courses. Knowing you have an event you're signed up for adds that extra bit of motivation on days when you just wanna say fuck it.

Agreed on the no diet soft drinks. If you're a caffeine junkie - coffee and tea. Herbal teas are fun for the evening. Stevia is a great sweetener - it doesn't take long to get used to the flavor. If you don't like plain water, flavor it with sliced fruits.

A huge part of it is portion control. If you eat out, go ahead and get a to go box at the beginning of the meal and half your meal. Drinking a glass of ice water before a meal also helps with portion control.

You can do it!

We did help my friend Helen get to her goal weight. She is gorgeous, but was always chubby (she said). So it IS portion control, becuse ultimately you have to learn that US society eats WAY too much at a time, then your insulin level goes up, and your cortisol goes down, and you want to be inactive ... a reflex. So Helen ate grapes for breakfast, and told herself over and over "Just becuase I want to put that in my mouth doesn't mean I have to". She walked at first, and increased by one block per week, and finally after a few miles of that, started to run. Then we passed her off to a real trainer person. Once the first 5 - 10 pounds are off, and you see it's "working" it just keeps going, if you want it to. You can do it. But no "diets". It's about lifestyle change, and the weight is one byproduct among many.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-08-2015, 09:01 AM
(12-08-2015 06:59 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 06:10 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Although I still have FAT ASSES

You are on the Dave Lombardo workout plan? Kinda hard to skip leg day with all that double bass going on! Smile

this is leg day for me

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post