Sick sister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2015, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2015 05:36 PM by Mr Woof.)
Sick sister
Well actually she's my half sister, born round 58 years ago and a love child to our mum. Mum was pretty weird in many ways, along with Nana, both of whom were war widows and raised us..
Anyhow to keep it brief sister's parenting by those two left much to be desired, and led to acute drug abuses in her twenties for chronic insomnia. This, as is often the case made for bad company choices, and further psychological problems.Crazy Mum was also involved in a heavy co dependency thing.Lots of way out crazy drama and madness culminating some 15 years back in sis burning down Mums flat, well almost.
These events over many decades had considerable impact on me also, in my effort to help. So much so that I had to withdraw myself a good deal to self protect.
Her major drug for the last 3 decades or more, has been in the main the sleeper temazepam which sort of keeps her going in an ever worsening 'recluse in her own house' state. Mum, who died round four years back at 95 used to doctor shop for her.

Recently I made some contact and gave her my phone number.Allegedly down to 40mgs of temazepam, along with valium, she has been on a controlled taper to get off them. I wonder if that's possible/practical. She rang me a few days back claiming that the new doctor at the clinic refuses to prescribe any more and she is almost out of supplies and desperate. She would like me to doctor shop for her!
On the few occasions she has attended sleep clinics and de tox centres she has left after a few days claiming she can't stand it.

Any considerations would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2015, 05:13 PM
RE: Sick sister
(12-02-2015 04:45 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Well actually she's my half sister, born round 58 years ago and a love child to our mum. Mum was pretty weird in many ways, along with Nana, both of whom were war widows and raised us..
Anyhow to keep is brief sister's parenting by those two left much to be desired, and led to acute drug abuses in her twenties for chronic insomnia. This, as is often the case made for bad company choices, and further psychological problems.Crazy Mum was also involved in a heavy co dependency thing.Lots of way outcrazy drama and madness culminating some 15 years back in sis burning down Mums flat, well almost.
These events over many decades had considerable impact on me also, in my effort to help. So much so that I had to withdraw myself a good deal to self protect.
Her major drug for the last 3 decades or more, has been in the main the sleeper temazepam which sort of keeps her going in an ever worsening 'recluse in her own house' state. Mum, who died round four years back at 95 used to doctor shop for her.

Recently I made some contact and gave her my phone number.Allegedly down to 40mgs of temazepam, along with valium, she has been on a controlled taper to get off them. I wonder if that's possible/practical. She rang me a few days back claiming that the new doctor at the clinic refuses to prescribe any more and she is almost out of supplies and desperate. She would like me to doctor shop for her!
On the few occasions she has attended sleep clinics and de tox centres she has left after a few days claiming she can't stand it.

If she isnt willing to change, which I imagine will be the case after 3 decades then if you can be bothered to go everytime then go. Im sure though it wont be legal and you could probably be done for drug dealing, if there is a misadventure then thats involuntary manslaughter.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
12-02-2015, 05:30 PM
(12-02-2015 05:13 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(12-02-2015 04:45 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Well actually she's my half sister, born round 58 years ago and a love child to our mum. Mum was pretty weird in many ways, along with Nana, both of whom were war widows and raised us..
Anyhow to keep is brief sister's parenting by those two left much to be desired, and led to acute drug abuses in her twenties for chronic insomnia. This, as is often the case made for bad company choices, and further psychological problems.Crazy Mum was also involved in a heavy co dependency thing.Lots of way outcrazy drama and madness culminating some 15 years back in sis burning down Mums flat, well almost.

If she isnt willing to change, which I imagine will be the case after 3 decades then if you can be bothered to go everytime then go. Im sure though it wont be legal and you could probably be done for drug dealing, if there is a misadventure then thats involuntary manslaughter.
Thanks for that. Yes there is that legal implication, plus the fact that the large doses she is presently taking don't seem to work any how.
What I am presently researching is non benzo drugs that may help extreme insomnia.
One I came across ,Doxepin, used at up to 300mgs for depression, is now being used at 3-6mgs for sleep. She wasn't too impressed........
In the U.S. I believe they are doing similar with Trazadone an anti depressant not available here.
12-02-2015, 07:06 PM
If you really want to get involved in this and help, get her a reputable doctor and let him figure out what is best for her.
12-02-2015, 07:17 PM
(12-02-2015 07:06 PM)pablo Wrote:  If you really want to get involved in this and help, get her a reputable doctor and let him figure out what is best for her.

Thanks! here in Oz reputable docs aren't all that plentiful.
I have been looking on line for state of the arts sleep psychologists, so a referral may be possible.
12-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Good luck. Hope you can find someone to help her!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
13-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Try Lance D. Dode's book "Breaking Addiction". I heard about it on a Freethought Radio podcast. It is secular and from what I understand, it is based on research (as opposed to A.A. 12 step because there were 12 disciples). If you want to check out the podcast, its title is "The Sober Truth".
13-02-2015, 03:40 PM
(13-02-2015 08:50 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Try Lance D. Dode's book "Breaking Addiction". I heard about it on a Freethought Radio podcast. It is secular and from what I understand, it is based on research (as opposed to A.A. 12 step because there were 12 disciples). If you want to check out the podcast, its title is "The Sober Truth".

Thanks for that I am familiar with Dode.
Her problem is really more an acute lack of sleep with the benzos seemingly the only way she can catch a few hours. The danger aspect and tolerance re temezapam is only part of the issue.
13-02-2015, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2015 06:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-02-2015 04:45 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  She would like me to doctor shop for her!

What does that mean? Woofmeister goes to a doc and pretends to have the same symptoms to get scripts for those meds in his name and give them to her? Very bad idea. Doc will start you on something completely different. And you can't really ask for precisely those scripts now can you.

(12-02-2015 05:30 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  What I am presently researching is non benzo drugs that may help extreme insomnia.

Girly can share his experience with woofwoof. First let me say as a decades-long chronic insomniac there is nothing I've found more effective than mazzies. As a mid-acting benzo it not only put me to sleep it kept me asleep. But benzos are a bad long-term solution. (Don't mean I don't occasionally mix 'em in for sleepovers and shit. Tongue )

In the US the sleep hormone melatonin is available OTC and can work quite well on its own for occasional or intermittent insomnia. For chronic insomnia I find it to be an extremely useful adjunct but insufficient on its own. I take high doses of it like 20-30 mg. Think it's moot though 'cause I think in Oz melatonin is a controlled substance (pretty sure they couldn't justify that medically though).

Ambien, lunesta and their ilk were meh. Might've helped me get to sleep a little bit faster but didn't keep me asleep. I found them underwhelming.

Best I found next to mazzies is a low dose of an atypical antipsychotic called seroquel. In sub-therapeutic dosages (50-100 mg) it acts like an antihistamine that my body readily responds to. Knocks my ass out and I don't feel no groginess the next day.

(12-02-2015 05:30 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  In the U.S. I believe they are doing similar with Trazadone an anti depressant not available here.

Yes. I'm giving trazodone a run now. Doc wants to get me off seroquel because it can have adverse effects on blood sugar and insulin resistance which ain't good for me (but it hasn't yet). Trazodone works. It works even better with melatonin and seroquel. It leaves me groggy though. But again, it's moot in Oz.

ManlyGirl swears by the antidepressant amitriptyline. Treats depression and insomnia all in one pill. I've tried it. Makes me sleepy but fails to deliver sleep.

I been chasing sleep a long time and the only way I catch it is when it comes to me.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Benzodiazapines are unfortunately as you know habit forming. I have an elderly aunt who is hooked on them to help her sleep. I also have insomnia and can relate to the desperate need for sleep. I have been on remeron for quite a few years. It is not necessarily for sleeping. It is an anti-depressive that has somnolence as a side effect. It doesn't completely guarantee a full night's sleep, but it makes it a lot easier. Best of luck.