Side-effect of my atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Side-effect of my atheism
Mom's been seeing my increased FaceBook activity over the past year relating to science, reason, and atheism. She seems to be getting bolder about posting Christian stuff lately...where once upon time I might see the occasional syrupy iluvjeezus type post, I'm now seeing her post more images like, "I will never apologize for being a Christian" or reposts of images urging people to not allow this or that religious freedom to be taken away. Not often, but definitely more notably now. I think it's probably because she feels more "on alert" and a little defensive of her religion.

Funny thing is, when she posts things like that, I fact-check it & reply with citations to what's *actually* going on. She hasn't yet responded to one of my fact-checks; not sure if she even sees 'em.

Today she reposted an image from the FaceBook page, "American Center for Law and Justice" It's a photo of some sad-looking young people with the caption, "Kicking Christians off college campuses is not 'tolerance.'" Beneath the image is a vague description, "A university is calling Christian student groups segregationists and kicking them off campus for refusing to violate their faith." It then urges readers to share the post and links to a poorly-written petition.

So I researched & after 5 minutes (hey, it's from a flippin' cell phone, gimme' a break, wouldja'?) posted my findings as a reply to Mom's post.

(Vanderbilt is not allowing groups to formally register as a campus group unless they abide by the rules of inclusion for all, including in group leadership--this upsets the Christians, who want to have group leaders that reflect their specific faith, which is understandable--but they're upset that they can't register as a campus group...they're not being kicked off campus, they're just unregistered groups. Talk about having a victim-complex. Sheesh.)

Anyway, this quirky little noninteractive interacting between Mom and I is interesting at times, because we never talk about my atheism when we actually, ya' know, *talk*.

~Valerie

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 08:49 PM
RE: Side-effect of my atheism
I thought the side effect was, you know, becoming a Decepticon. Consider

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-11-2012, 09:00 PM
RE: Side-effect of my atheism
(12-11-2012 08:49 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I thought the side effect was, you know, becoming a Decepticon. Consider

Yah, well, multiple side-effects do occur, dontcha' know. Wink

Oh hey, y'all can go have some fun on that "law and justice" page. You should see the panic and terror in their posts. Ugh, kinda' got a little sick thinking of it.

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/theACLJ?re...=739273171

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com