Sighted People

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Sighted People
Sighted people seem to have this weird concept that they need to "relate" to me somehow. Mostly by asking how I went blind the moment they meet me (which I personally don't mind but others might find rude. Especially if the sight loss was traumatic.)Telling how they're legally blind or can't see without their contacts. And acting like I've walked on water because surprise surprise I have other interest outside of being blind. I'm never sure if they know it's a condescending attitude to have or if people just don't know any better. Your thoughts?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2013, 02:49 PM
RE: Sighted People
I'd call it... not a lack of empathy, but simply the inability to empathise very well with something (ie blindness) people aren't able to imagine, not having ever come close to experiencing anything like it - "I can't see without glasses" or some such being the closest comparison they can make!

So, not knowing any better, would be my guess.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
17-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I think it's how people act toward people different from them. I saw a lot of this in college, not just with blind people, but people in wheelchairs as well. The college I went to was very handicapped-accessible, people apparently came from all over. My best friend in college was in a wheelchair, and would tell me people thought it was ok to just ask him extremely personal questions they'd never dream of asking someone who was not handicapped. I bring this up because I don't think it's just with blind people. They just see a difference and try to make comparisons to themselves to feel like they have something in common, I guess.

I worked in a building where the blind people as well as the students who used wheelchairs lived. I found it very interesting (and often disturbing), how people related to these people, and it really does seem like many people see the "handicap" and not the person, or become extremely uncomfortable around people. Not just people in wheelchairs that may not be able to do the same things, but even the blind people who got around campus and did things for themselves as well as anyone else. I think some of them sort of were trying to pat themselves on the back for having a conversation with them, but mostly I think they don't know any better. Same with dealing with blind people, i suppose; they are so focused on the fact that a person is blind, they forget that have other interests and hobbies, etc.
17-11-2013, 03:08 PM
When I do it is out of curiosity, I don't know many handicapped people so when I meet one I find it very interesting how those differences affect every day life.
Maybe some people just aren't self aware enough to know when to stop asking

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
17-11-2013, 03:32 PM
BQ, you should just be thankful for the opportunity to warn yet another potential unsuspecting victim of "ball in a cup". Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
17-11-2013, 05:33 PM
(17-11-2013 03:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  BQ, you should just be thankful for the opportunity to warn yet another potential unsuspecting victim of "ball in a cup". Tongue

Meany! (Jk)
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
17-11-2013, 06:33 PM
People don't know how to react to something they aren't used to. I really think that's the gist of it.

17-11-2013, 09:37 PM
(17-11-2013 06:33 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  People don't know how to react to something they aren't used to. I really think that's the gist of it.

Ya think so? I think people are just self-absorbed douchebags who thrive on patronizing outliers for status in their peer group and to enhance their meaningless lives.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
17-11-2013, 09:42 PM
How are you reading this BQ, do you have extremely limited sight or are using active brail or text to speech. ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
17-11-2013, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2013 10:00 PM by BrokenQuill92.)
(17-11-2013 09:42 PM)sporehux Wrote:  How are you reading this BQ, do you have extremely limited sight or are using active brail or text to speech. ?

Voice over, go to my thread How a Blind Girl Uses iPad http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid360386