Significance of Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Significance of Evolution vs. Intelligent Design
So in my intro thread Stevil mentioned Kenneth Miller, and while I had heard the name I'd never checked out any of his stuff, so I did. I found this video, which was pretty good (the guy has a nice sense of humor, and well thought out points of view on the subject).. but I really like what he proposes from 45:00-59:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5PJG_-XlwE

Thoughts?

EDIT: Forgot to link the video -.-

[Image: AJqsKtG.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2014, 11:50 PM
RE: Significance of Evolution vs. Intelligent Design
First off there is a typo in your title, you spelled creationism wrong. And Kennith miller is a awesome dude.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 4 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
07-08-2014, 11:53 PM
I like Kenneth Miller. I wish more religious people would read his stuff. They would have a better understanding of Evolution by natural selection.

It's never been about something from nothing.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-08-2014, 11:55 PM
(07-08-2014 11:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I like Kenneth Miller. I wish more religious people would read his stuff. They would have a better understanding of Evolution by natural selection.

Keep in my creationist don't care about science at all. They put on the love science facade when with people on the fence and atheist debating them.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
08-08-2014, 12:44 AM
I really love this comment from the video, especially the bold part.

Quote:mrmeou812
5 months ago

I AM SO TIRED OF THIS!! God is the creator, and there is no other. You can change and debate all of this but God never changes. We are not evolved from anything! We are created in the image of the most perfect and precious Lord. Whether you do it now, or when face to face with Him, we will all confess that Jesus is Lord! It takes so much faith to not believe in God, more than to believe in Him. We all just got lucky when billions of years ago there was a bang, followed by some sort of soup of life evolved, some fish in the ocean someday crawled out and grew legs, turned into a monkey, and somehow eventually turned into a human??? Really, people can believe all this, but they can't believe that a creator formed all this in one action? If this is true, we all should win the lottery. The chances of that happening are so incredibly impossible. Really think about it. When you think about all the stuff that has to happen before we came to be, there is no way. I also don't believe in religion. I believe in a relationship with the Savior, that is what God calls us for.

Well, I "get lucky" and "bang," and this is "followed by some sort of soup of life." Joking aside, I know that such people don't care about the actual science, but it's the confidence with which they speak about subjects they know knothing about that never ceases to amaze me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like ghostexorcist's post
08-08-2014, 03:58 PM
(07-08-2014 11:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I like Kenneth Miller. I wish more religious people would read his stuff. They would have a better understanding of Evolution by natural selection.

Indeed.. in fact, I don't see how the Big Bang theory and evolution are correlated in any way. Evolution simply describes how life changes over time, it has nothing to do with how it first started. Clearly Creationism is wrong, but even debating between belief in an intelligent designer (not gap theory) and evolution doesn't make sense:
Person 1: "God created the world!"
Person 2: "Life changes over time!"

.. Yeah, and I drive my autistic car with pancakes. Deal with it.

(08-08-2014 12:44 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Well, I "get lucky" and "bang," and this is "followed by some sort of soup of life." Joking aside, I know that such people don't care about the actual science, but it's the confidence with which they speak about subjects they know knothing about that never ceases to amaze me.

Lesson learned: Confidence has no correlation to truth.

08-08-2014, 05:48 PM
(08-08-2014 12:44 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I really love this comment from the video, especially the bold part.
Well, I "get lucky" and "bang," and this is "followed by some sort of soup of life." Joking aside, I know that such people don't care about the actual science, but it's the confidence with which they speak about subjects they know knothing about that never ceases to amaze me.

Dunning-Kruger effect. One guy, for example, tried to rob a bank after covering his face with lemon juice. Why? Because it's used to make invisible ink, that's why.
The worst part is that I'm not even joking. Google it.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
08-08-2014, 11:35 PM
I know I wasn't incredibly specific, but I was actually hoping to spark a discussion on the problem Allan Bloom brings up in a quote from his book, The Closing of the American Mind: "The American mind has become closed precisely because it has become too open."