Silly School names/mascots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2015, 03:26 AM
RE: Silly School names/mascots
(21-08-2015 11:25 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm sure it meant "the chinks in the armor of that dragon on our billboard", but sometimes you just gotta wonder, "WTF were they thinking!?!

That would be nice, but no, it was a slam on the Asians. Several members of my family recall it from when they were in HS. This town had a sign on the bridge into town that said "All N-words must be outside of the city limits by X time." This sign was up into the late 70's. My dad remembers it. Disgusting.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2015, 08:25 AM
(22-08-2015 03:26 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 11:25 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm sure it meant "the chinks in the armor of that dragon on our billboard", but sometimes you just gotta wonder, "WTF were they thinking!?!

That would be nice, but no, it was a slam on the Asians. Several members of my family recall it from when they were in HS. This town had a sign on the bridge into town that said "All N-words must be outside of the city limits by X time." This sign was up into the late 70's. My dad remembers it. Disgusting.

Oh. In that case, "Sometimes it's better not to know what they were thinking." *sigh*

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
22-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Richland High School in Washington calls their teams the Bombers, and their logo is a mushroom cloud. The name and logo were adopted shortly after the end of WWII.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
22-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Robert E. Lee High School in Jacksonville Florida. The mascot is "The General" in full Confederate regalia.

To add salt to the wound on that one, the student body is 64% African American.
22-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Robert E. Lee hated slavery, so it's really not as bad as it sounds.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
22-08-2015, 07:55 PM
(22-08-2015 07:46 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Robert E. Lee hated slavery, so it's really not as bad as it sounds.

He did! That is absolutely 100% true.

... But it still looks bad.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
22-08-2015, 08:01 PM
(15-08-2015 03:45 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I was just thinking of some of the oddest school names and mascots.

[Image: th?id=JN.vC9vbbe4S1ER4OXyQVGBIw&...;amp;h=300]

[Image: th?id=JN.2MCJ0IpQf%2bo9HUW%2bJ%2bYV%2bA&...;amp;h=300]

[Image: th?id=JN.E3ShqFrBbVa4d65TPjSgLg&...;amp;h=300]

I actualy knew a couple of people who were Pretzels. What others have you guys encountered?

"We're Pirates, not sailors, but Pirates, but Pirates
There's no need to remind us
The football team's behind us" Smile

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
22-08-2015, 08:04 PM
My high school mascot was officially a "Trail Blazer" - yeah, right, a Catholic school...Dodgy

The 'trail' part was mostly forgotten...sort of hard to work into a cheer.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
22-08-2015, 08:09 PM
My high school mascot was the Pilgrims.

That's right, cower in fear you dirty public school heathens! Tongue

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
22-08-2015, 10:03 PM
My school didn't have one because I don't live in the States and we're not fucking retarded.

In saying that, if it did have one it would be one of the following cliche shit NZers do: A kiwi bird, a kiwi fruit, a jandle or a kiwi bird with a kiwi fruit body wearing jandles.

NZ: We're not retarded like the rest of the world, we're retarded in our own unique way.

That should be this countries motto.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post