Silly School names/mascots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 12:58 PM
RE: Silly School names/mascots
My 9th grade year was a Christian private school, mascot: the Lions. Even though I was a Christian then, myself, I wasted a lot of time trying to get people to understand why that's hilarious. I mostly got stared at when I brought it up.

My highschool mascot was the Bearcat. I thought it was made-up, when I first got there. But nope, it's an animal from southeast Asia:

[Image: th?id=JN.DEDzrcOwmXsai%2fLt3%2bgOKQ&...;amp;h=300]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearcat

It's also the name of the F8F, a WW2 (at end, never saw combat) US Navy fighter plane built by Grumman, which is more likely where we got the mascot. We had a hilariously-oversized bronze statute of the animal in the foyer of the school, though, so I dunno.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-08-2015, 01:06 PM
(24-08-2015 03:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 03:08 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Actually, espadrilles are pretty damn comfortable in the world of heels.

All of those types of shoes (heels that is) look incredibly uncomfortable and impractical.

Sure, but how else are you going to keep your riding boots on the stirrups?

... this is my signature!
24-08-2015, 03:12 PM
(24-08-2015 01:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 03:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  All of those types of shoes (heels that is) look incredibly uncomfortable and impractical.

Dodgy

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-08-2015, 10:20 AM
[Image: Funny+Names+For+A+Team+4.jpg]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
27-08-2015, 11:32 AM
(27-08-2015 10:20 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  [Image: Funny+Names+For+A+Team+4.jpg]

Now there's a sporting event I would go to Laugh out load
27-08-2015, 11:55 AM
The all-girl Catholic high school I attended had a miserable set of varsity teams, but they were known as the "Gettes" , short for Suffragettes!
And of course the nuns never explained what a suffragette was ... that would have been considered "bold" (the ultimate insult Dodgy )
They'd even play Paul MacCarney's "Jet" or David Bowie's "Suffragette City" during warm-up.
Oh the irony ...

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
28-08-2015, 02:37 AM
This reminds me of a now infamous newspaper article from my hometown newspaper. Clinton (the city) was facing off against the Karns' Beavers.

[Image: dirtiest_newspaper_07.jpg]

[+] 4 users Like Dark Light's post
28-08-2015, 06:02 AM
(24-08-2015 01:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 03:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  All of those types of shoes (heels that is) look incredibly uncomfortable and impractical.

I don't understand. I take my boots off when I visit the gynecologist. Can't get my pants off, otherwise.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
28-08-2015, 01:24 PM
(28-08-2015 06:02 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 01:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Sure, but how else are you going to keep your riding boots on the stirrups?

I don't understand. I take my boots off when I visit the gynecologist. Can't get my pants off, otherwise.

I was SOOOO going to make that joke yesterday but I chickened out. It is better coming from a woman.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
28-08-2015, 01:27 PM
(27-08-2015 10:20 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  [Image: Funny+Names+For+A+Team+4.jpg]

Oh gawd...we lived in SC for years. My son has a Gamecock tattoo.

Go cocks is quite the rallying cry. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF