Silly questions and the scientific answers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2016, 07:48 AM
Silly questions and the scientific answers
So my mr bought this book:
"What if" by Randall Munroe
In it you find very silly or weird questions and a scientific answer on it. The author really goes into depth. He does the maths and the physics and so on. He has sources listed in the book too.

If you like that kind of stuff, I can recommend the book. Very informative and entertaining read.

Anyway, I started coming up with similar weird questions and then tried to answer them Big Grin

Assuming there is no food available (or anything even remotely edible), how long could a man survive by drinking his urine and eating his cum?
So I would think that urine can keep you going for a very short time but the longer you use it as your only source of water, the more useless it becomes. Eating the cum for nutrition sounded logical at first but then I remembered that you can actually survive for 30+ days without food as long as you have water. So I was thinking about how much water is in sperm. I wouldn't think it is a lot but I guess it would be better than nothing. Then again, your urine and sperm wouldn't be enough so I thought about making yourself cry. But tears won't be produced if you are dehydrated and even if they were, they would be salty and salt is bad for keeping water in your body.
Anything to add here? I am no physicist or doctor etc. Those are just my thoughts.

Second thing. I read this and then attempted to answer:
Assuming someone is covered in paper cuts. If you bath that person in lemon juice, how fast will he die?
Now I would say, he could die instantly from the shock that the pain would cause.
If he would not die from that shock, I am not sure how strong the acid in lemon juice is. Would it actually be strong enough to damage the skin enough for death to occur or would just be super uncomfortable?

Now you!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2016, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2016 08:34 AM by Gloucester.)
RE: Silly questions and the scientific answers
Tsk! Double posted again.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
02-09-2016, 08:03 AM
IMHO you are a tad weird, Leela!

Just what medication are you taking again?

Wink

02-09-2016, 08:15 AM
(02-09-2016 08:01 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  IMHO you are a tad weird, Leela!

Just what medication are you taking again?

Everybody is weird and I am no exception Hobo

02-09-2016, 09:00 AM
(02-09-2016 07:48 AM)Leela Wrote:  So my mr bought this book:
In it you find very silly or weird questions and a scientific answer on it. The author really goes into depth. He does the maths and the physics and so on. He has sources listed in the book too.

If you like that kind of stuff, I can recommend the book. Very informative and entertaining read.

Anyway, I started coming up with similar weird questions and then tried to answer them Big Grin

Assuming there is no food available (or anything even remotely edible), how long could a man survive by drinking his urine and eating his cum?
So I would think that urine can keep you going for a very short time but the longer you use it as your only source of water, the more useless it becomes. Eating the cum for nutrition sounded logical at first but then I remembered that you can actually survive for 30+ days without food as long as you have water. So I was thinking about how much water is in sperm. I wouldn't think it is a lot but I guess it would be better than nothing. Then again, your urine and sperm wouldn't be enough so I thought about making yourself cry. But tears won't be produced if you are dehydrated and even if they were, they would be salty and salt is bad for keeping water in your body.
Anything to add here? I am no physicist or doctor etc. Those are just my thoughts.

Assuming someone is covered in paper cuts. If you bath that person in lemon juice, how fast will he die?
Now I would say, he could die instantly from the shock that the pain would cause.
If he would not die from that shock, I am not sure how strong the acid in lemon juice is. Would it actually be strong enough to damage the skin enough for death to occur or would just be super uncomfortable?

Now you!

What if you're female.....like me? Also....... do you work for the CIA torture division? You need a hobby. Rolleyes Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
02-09-2016, 09:06 AM
(02-09-2016 09:00 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Now you!

What if you're female.....like me? Also....... do you work for the CIA torture division? You need a hobby. Rolleyes Laugh out load
One that doesn't involve consuming body fluids preferably.

Confused

02-09-2016, 09:44 AM
(02-09-2016 09:00 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What if you're female.....like me?
Well there is still another thing that comes out of your body. I just didn't want to go there... ...

(02-09-2016 09:00 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Also....... do you work for the CIA torture division?
Not yet Evil_monster But once they read this thread (HI CIA), they might want to recruit me for their torture methods think tank.

(02-09-2016 09:00 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You need a hobby. Rolleyes Laugh out load
Why can't this be a hobby?!

02-09-2016, 10:13 PM

Now you!

I love What If. The book contains some novel material but the bulk of it is available online along with a whole lot of material that never made the book. Sadly, it hasn't been updating regularly of late. The comic, XKCD, is regular as a metronome. Don't worry if you don't get the comic. There are websites devoted to explaining it.

As to your questions:

(1) As unpleasant as it sounds, drinking your own urine is probably your best bet. It's a pretty poor one seeing as how your body went to all that trouble to excrete a whole lot of unpleasant waste products in it [1]. Unless you have some mechanism for purifying it you're really just making your kidneys work overtime. Even then you won't last long because urine only accounts for about half of your body's daily water loss and that assumes you aren't sweating much [2]. Drinking your sweat and reclaiming water lost by exhaled breath might help but there's the pesky matter of collecting the stuff in any meaningful way [3]. In the end, your body isn't meant to be a closed system.

Producing bodily fluids, such as tears or cum, in order to reabsorb them is utterly counterproductive. The water in the fluids is being removed from your body just so you can add them back. At best it's a zero-sum game, but in reality there's going to be loss, material added to and later removed from the water that is the bulk of the fluids, and of course a fair bit of energy involved in both the production and reabsorption.

Drinking your own cum would probably be the worst option. Ignore for the moment that you're just taking water out to put it back in again. The average ejaculation is 3 to 5 mL of semen [4]. In order to compensate for a nominal water loss of 2.4 L/day you'd have to ejaculate 600 times daily or once every 2 minutes and 24 seconds non-stop 24/7. Happily, you need not worry about the obvious terminal chafing or the prospect of your prostate detonating with sufficient force to be lethal to luckless bystanders. Heat-stroke, hypoglycemia and heart attack will kill you long before those become a concern. Good data is hard to obtain, largely because it depends on exactly how you reached orgasm, but you're burning in the rough neighborhood of 100 calories per ejaculation. That level of energy output is on par with sprinting at full speed uphill [5]. That's great for a brief workout if you're in great condition but it's physiologically impossible to sustain. Your blood-glucose level plummets, your body temperature soars, and your heart caves in. To make matters even worse all this wanking will work up a sweat, completely negating any benefit you thought you might be getting. All that work comes to nothing.

(2) The answer to your lemon juice question depends greatly on what you mean by "covered in paper cuts". I'm also certain that your husband would be rightly concerned by the precision with which you framed the question, "how fast will he die?" Nice use of the future tense. No namby-pamby conditional "how fast would they die?"

If you mean that "they" have a crapload of paper cuts then your husband unfortunate victim will likely live. It'll hurt like hell and that will have some fascinating physiological side-effects but shock isn't one of them. That requires significant blood loss and you don't get that from paper cuts. The dissolving power of lemon juice is also negligible. You'd be better off leaving off all the paper cut nonsense and simply pickling the soon-to-be-former Mr Leela in the lemon juice directly. It'll take forever with a more or less living person and they'll effectively die of dehydration and then decompose nastily in the worst lemon-scented putrification available.

On the other hand, if you mean that he has been flayed Bolton-style then he has no ability to maintain homeostasis. Blood goes out, lemon juice goes in and very bad things happen very quickly. Shock will set in very rapidly as the blood chemistry goes straight to hell. You're looking at minutes rather than days. For a real life example that spares Mr. Leela, take a bottle of lemon juice with you next time you go to the lake. Find a big fat leech and plop it in. Leeches have very thin skins with little ability to prevent chemicals from diffusing into them. That's why salt works so well on them. Leech in lemon juice is the "humane" analogue of a flayed man. For extra "fun" use tonic water or other clear soda. The CO2 makes the leech inflate and pop. Used on one that's been feeding it's an exceptionally gorey and graphic biology lesson that will give children nightmares and/or stories to horrify their classmates and parents.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
02-09-2016, 10:27 PM

Uh huh. I "have a friend" who buys things like that too.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-09-2016, 04:03 AM
haha Bucky Ball, I am reading it too of course Big Grin But it is not mine.

Paleophyte: Thanks for the explanation. I am not sure why you highlight the "he" so much in the second one. The question was copied from where I read it and was originally phrased that way. I don't think that the original brain behind the question had an agenda Wink But yea... I was wondering if paper cuts are actually deep enough to allow for lemon juice to enter the blood stream. Dehydration was something I hadn't even thought of. I would assume that vinegar or salty pickle water would have a similar effect when it comes to dehydration?