Silly questions and the scientific answers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2016, 08:07 AM
RE: Silly questions and the scientific answers
(03-09-2016 04:03 AM)Leela Wrote:  haha Bucky Ball, I am reading it too of course Big Grin But it is not mine.

Paleophyte: Thanks for the explanation. I am not sure why you highlight the "he" so much in the second one. The question was copied from where I read it and was originally phrased that way. I don't think that the original brain behind the question had an agenda Wink But yea... I was wondering if paper cuts are actually deep enough to allow for lemon juice to enter the blood stream. Dehydration was something I hadn't even thought of. I would assume that vinegar or salty pickle water would have a similar effect when it comes to dehydration?

A paper cut is small enough that it'll clot quickly preventing anything foreign from getting in. You need a pretty major wound to allow any significant amount of foreign material in. The pain from paper cuts and lemon juice is largely nerves endings in your skin exposed in the cut to direct contact with an acid solution. They aren't happy about that and aren't shy about letting you know.

Yes, salt and vinegar is probably more effecetive at pickling than lemon juice would be. You can make it more concentrated. I use salt and vinegar to polish drill core with steel wool and can tell you that the steel wool splinters are a real joy in that mix.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2016, 04:46 AM
But why is it that paper cuts, and shallow cuts from a scalpel, often hurt far out of oroportion to their size, more than larger and deeper cuts?

When a Rottweiler tried to grab my arm its reeth lifted a flap of skin about an inch square. Luckily it did not get a grip. Don't even remember seeing the dog move, I was just suddenly standing ten feet off the path with blood dripping from my fingers. Good reactions for an oldie!

I expected far more pain than there was, until I realised that my nervous system saw it as only a three inch cut into the nerve layer, just like any other cut. Just looked terrible!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
04-09-2016, 05:00 AM
I have a silly scientific question.

Why did Jake the peg have an extra leg???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
04-09-2016, 06:17 AM
(04-09-2016 04:46 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  But why is it that paper cuts, and shallow cuts from a scalpel, often hurt far out of oroportion to their size, more than larger and deeper cuts?

When a Rottweiler tried to grab my arm its reeth lifted a flap of skin about an inch square. Luckily it did not get a grip. Don't even remember seeing the dog move, I was just suddenly standing ten feet off the path with blood dripping from my fingers. Good reactions for an oldie!

I expected far more pain than there was, until I realised that my nervous system saw it as only a three inch cut into the nerve layer, just like any other cut. Just looked terrible!

Because most sensory cells and nerves are placed near the surface of your skin.
From an evolutionary standpoint you want an warning of impending harm to be as early as possible in order to be effective for avoiding harm. Ergo: having more sensory perception near your skin is prefered.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
04-09-2016, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2016 11:39 AM by Gloucester.)
(04-09-2016 06:17 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(04-09-2016 04:46 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  But why is it that paper cuts, and shallow cuts from a scalpel, often hurt far out of oroportion to their size, more than larger and deeper cuts?

Figures, thanx.
Because most sensory cells and nerves are placed near the surface of your skin.
From an evolutionary standpoint you want an warning of impending harm to be as early as possible in order to be effective for avoiding harm. Ergo: having more sensory perception near your skin is prefered.
Thumbsup

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
04-09-2016, 10:46 AM
(02-09-2016 08:15 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 08:01 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  IMHO you are a tad weird, Leela!

Just what medication are you taking again?

Everybody is weird and I am no exception Hobo

You are one of a kind, just like everybody else!
04-09-2016, 10:51 AM
There is a myth among Colombians about a ship wrecked group of 17 people that all survived for several months with no more nourishment than one lactating woman and everybody drank her milk. All the food they could find and scrounge went to her and she fed everybody else. No I don't believe it.