Silly traditions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Silly traditions
I was raised catholic for 18 years. As a result I've picked up many strange habits that I find are still embedded in my life, even though I don't believe. The best example I can give is before I eat dinner with my wife. After we sit down and are about to eat, the thought crosses my mind to say grace. I've been an atheist for over 10 yrs now and the thought still crosses my mind. Another habit is saying "bless you" after a sneeze. I've attempted to use Seinfeld's anecdote of saying "your so good looking", but I just got funny looks. I'm curious if others out there are struggling with similar habits.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2014, 04:00 PM
RE: Silly traditions
Even when I was religious (or pretending to be), I never said "Bless you" -- just wasn't comfortable with it. I have always said "Gesundheit". My dad claims that that still means "God bless you", but I think he's wrong. I think it just means "Good health" or something like that. Maybe one of our German-speaking members can confirm that (or not).
18-04-2014, 04:16 PM
(18-04-2014 04:00 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Even when I was religious (or pretending to be), I never said "Bless you" -- just wasn't comfortable with it. I have always said "Gesundheit". My dad claims that that still means "God bless you", but I think he's wrong. I think it just means "Good health" or something like that. Maybe one of our German-speaking members can confirm that (or not).

Yeah, you're right about the gesundheit:
gesundheit
gɛˈzʌndhʌɪt,German gɛˈzʊnthaɪt
exclamation
used to wish good health to a person who has just sneezed.
Apparently the direct translation is something like 'health'.

I don't say anything when people sneeze, but when I sneeze and get a 'bless you' I've made a habit of replying "Don't say that, I might burst into flames."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-04-2014, 06:39 PM
(18-04-2014 02:03 PM)Pjerm Wrote:  ...
The best example I can give is before I eat dinner with my wife.

Yes, that is a silly tradition.

I eat my dinner with chopsticks.

I'm with you regarding 'bless you'. That is ingrained in British tradition since... well... the plague, I guess. I can't stop myself saying that (even without the 'benefit' of religious indoctrination).

Generally, I don't have too much of a problem with traditions of any culture (except for the burning widows kinda thing) as these are what make the diverse cultures interesting.

I also think it is polite to acknowledge and even accommodate others' traditions when one is a guest in their home in the way that we would acknowledge the laws of a country that we visited.

So for example, I'm not going to drive on the right (and simultaneously wrong) side of the road when I visit the US or the Philippines.
Nor am I going to walk into a mosque wearing a Mo' t-shirt.

It's when those traditions are considered sacred that there is a problem.

In a way, all traditions are silly but some are useful.
Take Feng Shui ... as Douglas Adams famously pointed out ... it's obviously nonsense but as a practical model, thinking about how comfortable (or not) a dragon would be in a particular living space is a useful short-cut to good design.

Meanwhile, here's one I simple can not relate to:
Jewelry!

OK, I get that some people like shiny things and I get that it's one monkey displaying greater status over another monkey but really, some people I know are obsessed by the stuff and I reckon it's ... well ...silly.

Angry

20-04-2014, 06:57 AM
I've also adopted the "Gesundheit" but I didn't mention it because I didn't want to butcher the spelling.... LOL