Similar podcasts to TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Similar podcasts to TTA?
I want to say, The Thinking Atheist has instantly become my favorite podcast of all, and I've listened to quite a few already. It's like I didn't know what I've been missing until I heard Seth's voice. Seth is a wonderful storyteller and a very likeable character, he doesn't repeat himself even when he does and the things he talks about, it's always fun or intriguing. I mean, it's religion and skepticism, but just like most of you I've heard all the arguments through and through. It's the human stories that this is about, family situations and so on, it really appeals to my sociologic gut. Damn, he makes the real everyday world sound interesting!

The problem is, TTA podcasts go out once a week, sometimes less. I've listened to them all retrospectively and the wait is long. Need my fix more often. So I tried more of them. Hell, I even listened to all that's on the net about my neurologic condition, that's some fun human stories too, but no regular quality material, just tidbits here and there. I often use a youtube to mp3 converting software to download longer speeches from channels like RSA, Aron Ra and so on, these aren't podcasts I guess, but whatever. Here are some I've tried so far.

(sorry, I'm too lazy to link them, just google them up if you want)
Atheist & Theist podcast - these two guys are all right, but they still think in arguments or opinions. Which is bad, because they don't argue very much anyway, not with each other and not with their guests. If they ever do, it's obvious there's too little to argue about, so they usually just let everyone present their position. It's clear the religious position isn't defensible, it's just something the theists were raised in and so they'll stick with the religious story long after anyone else would give up, they seem to admit that. So there isn't much action in it.

Radiolab - now, this is some high quality stuff. It's a nerdy science podcast, but with supreme storytelling and with such a technical quality and effects that it shows professional work and decent sponsoring.

Skeptic's Guide to the Universe - another science and skepticism podcast, featured by a crew of Novella brothers and two other friends. A quality standard is guaranteed by regular features like news items, interview, skepticism and pseudoscience news, guessing a mysterious noise or identifying one fake scientific news items among two real. And there's plenty of them in the archive.

Rational Response Squad - this one isn't active anymore and isn't free either, I bought the episodes. It's a skeptical podcast, mostly debating religious people and religious topics. My first podcast, really.

Shortly said, there doesn't seem to be anything like Seth's podcast out there. Science and skepticism is all right, but I can go without it. Some podcasts have this or that, but nobody has this combination of generally easygoing but humane concern, storytelling and this fascinating cultural conflict of religion and atheism.

You know what I mean? What are your other similar favorite podcasts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2012, 02:36 PM
RE: Similar podcasts to TTA?
I like Penn's Sunday School. It's mostly humor and while he's an atheist, it's not necessarily just focused on atheist issues.

I've also enjoyed Living After Faith with Rich Lyons and the Point Of Inquiry podcasts have an excellent array famous atheist authors, scientists, and philosophers.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Living After Faith- Great podcast, 'helping others to overcome the damage done to them by religion'

Skeptics with a K- Really funny podcast by the Merseyside Skeptics Society. They mainly deal with the world of woo, but they also talk about religion. A couple of the hosts were raised Catholic, and are now Atheists.

The Magic Sandwich Show - Usually very weighty discussions about religion, and the nature of the universe and existence.

Oh no, Ross and Carrie - Another very funny podcasts, discussing the world of pseudoscience "We Show up so you don't have to". The hosts participate in various religions/cults/pseudoscience activities, and report their findings.

The Atheist Experience - A classic Atheism podcast. Live call in public access show in Austin Texas, mainly taking calls from theists who want to debate.

Ask an Atheist - An interesting look at the world of Atheism, and issues that concern Atheists.

The Non Prophets - They seem to be on a really long hiatus right now, but they usually discuss news items that concern them, and sometimes have debates, and special guests.

The Pseudo Scientists - A podcast by the Young Australian Skeptics. Discussing news items and pseudoscience.

The Skeptic Zone - Another Australian Skeptical show. I'm still making my way through the back catalog of episodes, but they mainly discuss a bit of pseudoscience, have interviews with people such as James Randi, and have round table discussions about news items and current events.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Near's post
09-09-2012, 09:53 AM
(08-09-2012 02:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I like Penn's Sunday School. It's mostly humor and while he's an atheist, it's not necessarily just focused on atheist issues.

I've also enjoyed Living After Faith with Rich Lyons and the Point Of Inquiry podcasts have an excellent array famous atheist authors, scientists, and philosophers.
Thanks Erx and Near, I already tried LAF (sounds good) and I'm looking forward to some atheist humor. This is gonna keep me supplied for a long time Smile
09-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Similar podcasts to TTA?
(09-09-2012 09:53 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 02:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I like Penn's Sunday School. It's mostly humor and while he's an atheist, it's not necessarily just focused on atheist issues.

Thanks Erx and Near, I already tried LAF (sounds good) and I'm looking forward to some atheist humor. This is gonna keep me supplied for a long time Smile

My favorites on Penn's show have been with Gilbert Godfried. Over the years I have found him more annoying than funny, but the chemistry he has with Penn is quite amusing. Enjoy!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel