Simple but powerful proof of Jesus Christ.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2017, 03:51 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2017 03:55 AM by RearViewMirror.)
RE: Simple but powerful proof of Jesus Christ.
(14-03-2017 07:17 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hi Alla.

yeah I know you knew, was just using myself, rather than another, to give you an idea as to whom it is here amongst this membership.

I practiced martial arts for around 30 years. I am a master in 2 styles and qualified in 17 but know others to master level but hold no grade. For example I did a style of Karate for 7 years and they would not let me grade. (Get belts) I know the syllabus to 3rd dan.

I play many percussion instruments. Music was my career alongside martial arts for many years.

Favourite instruments are drums and percussion. I am about to study keyboards. I am thinking I may see about getting a PhD in music. I am not doing anything so may as well study. Smile

Anyway, what was the topic again? Big Grin

Since I'm done with this (actual) topic anyway your post interested me. I picked up the guitar at the age of 13. Never learned to read music (though I can read tablature). David Gilmour has always been my inspiration from an early age and Comfortably Numb was the first song I taught myself to play (by ear) and granted it sounded horrific compared to the original but I was enthralled that I could make a song come out of this box and strings that sounded similar. I continued to practice each day until my fingers almost bled. Eventually I built up the callouses and learned every popular song (of the 80's) I could get my hands on.

Skip forward 33 years and my tastes for music are all over the place though David Gilmour will always remain my favorite. There are other guitarists out there that are better I'm sure but no one in my mind has ever captured the soul of the guitar as David Gilmour has. I remember talking to my wife a while back (and she is a huge Pink Floyd fan) that of all the people that pass (David Bowie for instance last year) David Gilmor will be a very sad day in my life since I credit him with so much of my musical life.

I think I mentioned somewhere else in this forum once. When my daughter was 5 I bought her a guitar. We went to Guitar Center and we walked up to the counter so I could buy her a capo and some picks. The guy behind the counter asked her "are you going to learn how to play Taylor Swift (granted my daughter didn't even know who Taylor Swift was at the time). This little blond haired girl looked up at him and without skipping a beat told him "no... I'm going to play like David Gilmour" and walked away. The guy behind the counter just looked at me in awe and said "that is the coolest shit I've ever heard!" I told him "that's all she knows man" "That's what she was brought up on".

The first song she learned to play was "Smile" by David Gilmour. For two reasons. One it's pretty easy and two I played and sang it too her every night before she went to bed. It is still one of our rituals. So I'm proud that I could pass along a piece of music and she will never forget. And I've given her something that will serve well throughout the rest of her life.

Smile by David Gilmour. Seemed like a perfect lullaby when she was a baby if you listen to the words.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
15-03-2017, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2017 04:08 AM by RearViewMirror.)
And yes I know it doesn't belong in this thread but if it pissess of borgy then all the better.

If you want to learn one of the easiest songs on the guitar I would highly recommend this.

Simple one note repeating with a haunting sound. Took me all of 20 mins to learn this.

[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
15-03-2017, 04:20 AM
Thread to be answered in bold within the thread. A thread weave?

(15-03-2017 03:51 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Since I'm done with this (actual) topic anyway your post interested me.

Bored?

I picked up the guitar at the age of 13.

What did you do then??? Gasp

Never learned to read music (though I can read tablature).

There's an old joke:
Q> How do you stop a guitarist playing?
A. Put sheet music in front of him/her.
Thumbsup

David Gilmour has always been my inspiration from an early age and Comfortably Numb was the first song I taught myself to play (by ear) and granted it sounded horrific compared to the original but I was enthralled that I could make a song come out of this box and strings that sounded similar.

One can never replicate. Just be yourself. For example, I can play So wat. But I can't play it like Jimmy Cobb.

I'd be foolish of me to try.

I continued to practice each day until my fingers almost bled. Eventually I built up the callouses and learned every popular song (of the 80's) I could get my hands on.

Did you work on scales?

Skip forward 33 years and my tastes for music are all over the place though David Gilmour will always remain my favorite.

I listen to music very quickly. I have no lasting favourites I listen too. Any I do I avoid. My favourite music is new music.

I always recall Keith Jarrett speaking about a conversation with Miles Davis.

Miles: "You know why I don't play ballads anymore?"

Keith: 'Why Miles???'

Miles: "I love them too much."

There are other guitarists out there that are better I'm sure but no one in my mind has ever captured the soul of the guitar as David Gilmour has.

Exactly.

I remember talking to my wife a while back (and she is a huge Pink Floyd fan) that of all the people that pass (David Bowie for instance last year) David Gilmor will be a very sad day in my life since I credit him with so much of my musical life.

My friend, Dennis Davis played with Bowie for 7 years. That's him on Fame. He died last year. Sad

I think I mentioned somewhere else in this forum once. When my daughter was 5 I bought her a guitar. We went to Guitar Center and we walked up to the counter so I could buy her a capo and some picks. The guy behind the counter asked her "are you going to learn how to play Taylor Swift (granted my daughter didn't even know who Taylor Swift was at the time). This little blond haired girl looked up at him and without skipping a beat told him "no... I'm going to play like David Gilmour" and walked away. The guy behind the counter just looked at me in awe and said "that is the coolest shit I've ever heard!" I told him "that's all she knows man" "That's what she was brought up on".

Okay, I'm going to be serious. Get her a teacher. Make sure she learns to read. Not tablature, music.

I've never seen a chart written in tablature. And I've seen thousands of charts.

Remember that joke. It exists for a reason.

The first song she learned to play was "Smile" by David Gilmour. For two reasons. One it's pretty easy and two I played and sang it too her every night before she went to bed. It is still one of our rituals. So I'm proud that I could pass along a piece of music and she will never forget. And I've given her something that will serve well throughout the rest of her life.

Smile by David Gilmour. Seemed like a perfect lullaby when she was a baby if you listen to the words.

Nice to meet you. All the best to your daughter. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-03-2017, 04:27 AM
(15-03-2017 04:20 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Thread to be answered in bold within the thread. A thread weave?

(15-03-2017 03:51 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Since I'm done with this (actual) topic anyway your post interested me.

Bored?

What did you do then??? Gasp

There's an old joke:
A. Put sheet music in front of him/her.
Thumbsup

David Gilmour has always been my inspiration from an early age and Comfortably Numb was the first song I taught myself to play (by ear) and granted it sounded horrific compared to the original but I was enthralled that I could make a song come out of this box and strings that sounded similar.

One can never replicate. Just be yourself. For example, I can play So wat. But I can't play it like Jimmy Cobb.

I continued to practice each day until my fingers almost bled. Eventually I built up the callouses and learned every popular song (of the 80's) I could get my hands on.

Did you work on scales?

Skip forward 33 years and my tastes for music are all over the place though David Gilmour will always remain my favorite.

I listen to music very quickly. I have no lasting favourites I listen too. Any I do I avoid. My favourite music is new music.

There are other guitarists out there that are better I'm sure but no one in my mind has ever captured the soul of the guitar as David Gilmour has.

Exactly.

I remember talking to my wife a while back (and she is a huge Pink Floyd fan) that of all the people that pass (David Bowie for instance last year) David Gilmor will be a very sad day in my life since I credit him with so much of my musical life.

My friend, Dennis Davis played with Bowie for 7 years. That's him on Fame. He died last year. Sad

Okay, I'm going to be serious. Get her a teacher. Make sure she learns to read. Not tablature, music.

I've never seen a chart written in tablature. And I've seen thousands of charts.

You too my friend!

15-03-2017, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2017 04:45 AM by Banjo.)
(15-03-2017 04:27 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 04:20 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Thread to be answered in bold within the thread. A thread weave?

You too my friend!

Mate I'll send you my Paypal email in a PM. It's $25.00 for the rep and an additional $10.00 per like.

So, $34.00.
Easy. Thumbsup

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
15-03-2017, 04:40 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2017 04:49 AM by RearViewMirror.)
I just realized you posted a lot of questions once I expanded the view so I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Since I'm done with this (actual) topic anyway your post interested me.

Bored? Very

What did you do then??? Gasp I played by ear until I could read tab.

There's an old joke:
A. Put sheet music in front of him/her. Thumbsup

Lol... there's a lot of truth behind that but I firmly believe that actually learning how to read music and study music theory is extremely important. (Though I never did)

I agree. Gilmor has his own sound and it's very hard to replicate. Not that I'd really want to anyway. Then I'd just be copying. If I can play similar I'm perfectly content with that.

Did you work on scales? Later in life I did yes

Exactly.

When she was 6 we started her with guitar lessons. I didn't want her to learn the way that I did. I wanted her to learn the correct way. And so far to her credit she is moving along just fine. She knows much more about reading music than I do. I can still keep up with her on a guitar but it won't be but a few years that she will most likely blow me away. Which is fine. We want the best for our children.

[+] 3 users Like RearViewMirror's post
15-03-2017, 04:44 AM
That's $45.00, dude. Wink

Banjo.
15-03-2017, 04:57 AM
(15-03-2017 04:33 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 04:27 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  You too my friend!

Mate I'll send you my Paypal email in a PM. It's $25.00 for the rep and an additional $10.00 per like.

So, $34.00.
Easy. Thumbsup

I gave it to you free lol

15-03-2017, 04:58 AM
But if we keep going like this we will both be rich lol

15-03-2017, 09:20 AM
I like the way this thread is going. Big Grin

Guitar was the first instrument I tried to learn, back in the Beatlemania days. I was 7, and my parents got me a Silvertone steel-string guitar out of the Sears catalogue. Unfortunately my hands were small and I didn't get very far -- too hard to hold the strings down. I started taking piano a year later, and didn't make progress on guitar till about age 12. Keyboard skills were far in the lead, though, and by the time I was in my late teens I had a multi-keyboard rig (double-manual organ, digital piano, string synth and a couple of analog synths) and was working out keyboard parts from Genesis and other progressive rock bands. Still kept flailing away at guitar, though I never really got beyond "Stairway to Heaven" and "Roundabout." Also took a 2-week course in flute at summer school but only got a few basics.

Many years later I took more music lessons: A year of piano, then a break of over a decade, then 3 years of violin because I wanted to learn something new. I acquired a second-hand clarinet on my way home from violin lessons one night, and eventually dropped violin to concentrate on woodwinds. Currently I have 2 B flat clarinets, an alto clarinet, an alto sax, and this afternoon I'm upgrading to a nicer flute. Future plans involve a bass clarinet, a tenor sax, and an E flat sopranino clarinet, and then unless someone tosses a $7,000 alto flute my way I'll consider the collection complete.

But no double reeds like oboes, English horns or bassoons. You could blow your razzafracking brains out with one of those things.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post