Simple but powerful proof of Jesus Christ.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2017, 10:32 AM
RE: Simple but powerful proof of Jesus Christ.
(23-03-2017 08:57 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Dear friends, look here. Consider a closed box with creatures inside. Suppose during some time they made useful work, but now the amount of free-energy has decreased to zero. What was left is 1) increased heat, 2) the paintings, the books, the holy icons, the holy churches.

No, YOU look here, "friend".

I highlighted the phrase above because you're ignoring that we have a nearly-unlimited source of free energy, from the sun.

It will not "decrease to zero" for another five billion years or so.

We also have numerous sources of energy in heat and chemicals, here on earth, spewed from the geothermal vents beneath the ocean. Until the earth cools to the point this lava stops flowing (hint: the sun will burn out, first), this is another source that will not "decrease to zero".

So what you have done is made up a totally bogus scenario, which has nothing to do with reality, in order to suggest life cannot form/evolve.

Well, if things did "decrease to zero", you'd be quite right. Life would not form or continue to live in a closed system, once the energy ran out. We'd all be dead.

In five billion years, the people who sound like you might not actually be crazy.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
23-03-2017, 10:34 AM
(23-03-2017 08:57 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Dear friends, look here. Consider a closed box with creatures inside.

I've heard this one before.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-03-2017, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 11:20 AM by John Derderian.)
(23-03-2017 10:32 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(23-03-2017 08:57 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Dear friends, look here. Consider a closed box with creatures inside. Suppose during some time they made useful work, but now the amount of free-energy has decreased to zero. What was left is 1) increased heat, 2) the paintings, the books, the holy icons, the holy churches.

No, YOU look here, "friend".

I highlighted the phrase above because you're ignoring that we have a nearly-unlimited source of free energy, from the sun.

It will not "decrease to zero" for another five billion years or so.

We also have numerous sources of energy in heat and chemicals, here on earth, spewed from the geothermal vents beneath the ocean. Until the earth cools to the point this lava stops flowing (hint: the sun will burn out, first), this is another source that will not "decrease to zero".

So what you have done is made up a totally bogus scenario, which has nothing to do with reality, in order to suggest life cannot form/evolve.

Well, if things did "decrease to zero", you'd be quite right. Life would not form or continue to live in a closed system, once the energy ran out. We'd all be dead.

In five billion years, the people who sound like you might not actually be crazy.

You need to be a little careful here. In thermodynamics, and carrying over somewhat into biology, the term "free energy" has a well-defined meaning and is related to entropy. In that context it does not refer to energy that we get for free. This reads to me as if he's using the term in that way. His overall argument does not make sense, but attacking his use of the term because it doesn't agree with the non-scientific usage is probably unfair.

Edit: corrected typo: makes sense -> does not make sense
Just in case anyone saw the original version and thinks I think it makes sense....
[+] 2 users Like John Derderian's post
23-03-2017, 12:56 PM
(23-03-2017 08:57 AM)theBorg Wrote:  ...Consider a closed box with creatures inside. Suppose during some time they made useful work, but now the amount of free-energy has decreased to zero.

Nope. Totally erroneous. The energy inside your hypothetical box is conserved for an infinite period. In all its forms, energy simply [sic] transforms from one form to another.

—I'm guessing you don't understand what "free energy" is.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
23-03-2017, 12:58 PM
I wasn't trying to use scientific terminology; I was reacting to his arbitrary "box" and the fact that effectively boundless amounts of energy enter the box (our biosphere), from above and below, despite his imaginary scenario.

But you're quite right. I was not trying to use the term scientifically.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
23-03-2017, 01:10 PM
I find theBorg's posts to be be inspired. Unfortunately, they are inspired by Mnemosyme's tenth daughter, Testicula the muse of bollocks.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 5 users Like Norm Deplume's post
23-03-2017, 01:18 PM
(23-03-2017 01:10 PM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  I find theBorg's posts to be be inspired. Unfortunately, they are inspired by Mnemosyme's tenth daughter, Testicula the muse of bollocks.

Awesome dude !!!!!!
23-03-2017, 04:36 PM
(23-03-2017 10:34 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-03-2017 08:57 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Dear friends, look here. Consider a closed box with creatures inside.

I've heard this one before.

Did that poor woman order a do-it-yourself lobotomy kit from Amazon?
23-03-2017, 04:40 PM
(23-03-2017 04:36 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(23-03-2017 10:34 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've heard this one before.

Did that poor woman order a do-it-yourself lobotomy kit from Amazon?

I dunno, but she's pretty hot.
23-03-2017, 04:48 PM
(23-03-2017 04:40 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(23-03-2017 04:36 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Did that poor woman order a do-it-yourself lobotomy kit from Amazon?

I dunno, but she's pretty hot.

Your standards are too low. Just saying.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post