Sin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2014, 06:11 AM
Sin?
Just a random question but when exactly was sin first called "sin"? I ask because the reason the christian God floods the earth is because he's displeased with everyone's wrong doing but he never gave a outline of what was expected of them or what even not to do. In fact the only time he actually say's what he expects of someone before the flood was the whole apple thing with Adam and Eve. In the actual passage about what led God to flood the earth it doesn't even explain what "evil" entails. Hell it doesn't even mention evil but maybe once before this and it still doesn't explain what's so evil.

Genesis 6:5-7
The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground Shocking (what the hell did they do)—for I regret that I have made them.”

With this same train of thought, wouldn't that excuse all the wrong doing before the commandments? He never really gives a clear and concise direction on what is wrong or right. So when mankind stumbles upon it how the hell were suppose to know it was wrong(judging by the bible not what we know as just internal instinct to distinguish right and wrong)?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 06:33 AM
RE: Sin?
I suspect that it was probably at around the same time that the Latin version was translated into English.

Drinking Beverage

01-07-2014, 06:39 AM
(01-07-2014 06:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I suspect that it was probably at around the same time that the Latin version was translated into English.

Drinking Beverage

You sir have earned a cookie for your wit. Bowing
[+] 2 users Like MrKrispy601's post
01-07-2014, 06:40 AM
It's an old English word synn from the Latin word sons, meaning guilty.
01-07-2014, 06:55 AM
(01-07-2014 06:40 AM)natachan Wrote:  It's an old English word synn from the Latin word sons, meaning guilty.

Ah so that makes it that much more interesting. How would people feel guilt for something which they were not told was wrong in the first place(assuming the Christian position of God is the reason we know right from wrong)? In the bible the world is only a relatively young and so are it's inhabitants. They were exploring the world and also each other. Unless you put a cap on what not to do how could you be mad at them? At that point all they knew was not to disobey God...who had gave them really no direction on things such as adultery, homosexuality, and rape.
01-07-2014, 07:23 AM
(01-07-2014 06:55 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  ...
How would people feel guilt for something which they were not told was wrong in the first place

I can explain.

I have a Jewish mother.

How many Jewish mothers does it take to change a light bulb?
None. Don't worry about me... I'll just sit here in the dark and suffer, already.

Therefore 'guilt' is genetic.

Like in so many other ways, the cafflics copied god's chosen miserable, suffering sinners (synners?).

Why do you think it's called a syn-agogue?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-07-2014, 09:37 AM
(01-07-2014 07:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 06:55 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  ...
How would people feel guilt for something which they were not told was wrong in the first place

I can explain.

I have a Jewish mother.

None. Don't worry about me... I'll just sit here in the dark and suffer, already.

Like in so many other ways, the cafflics copied god's chosen miserable, suffering sinners (synners?).

hehe I likes you, you are witty and wise Yes

Smartass

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
01-07-2014, 10:33 AM
(01-07-2014 09:37 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 07:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I can explain.

I have a Jewish mother.

hehe I likes you, you are witty and wise Yes

Smartass

For Not-God's sake don't tell him he's wise........... or witty or any of that stuff. He's hard enough to put up with as it is.

Facepalm

(kidding)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.