Since I De-Converted from Christianity to Atheism, _______________ .

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2013, 04:02 AM
(02-02-2013 11:47 PM)kpax Wrote:  .... It's hard to find what to say to replace the phrase "I'll pray for you".

I like to think I've replaced this with: "How can I help?"

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
03-02-2013, 05:45 AM
RE: Since I De-Converted from Christianity to Atheism, _______________ .
(03-02-2013 04:02 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(02-02-2013 11:47 PM)kpax Wrote:  .... It's hard to find what to say to replace the phrase "I'll pray for you".

I like to think I've replaced this with: "How can I help?"

Ohhhh!

I thought it was the sarcastic, passive / aggressive version of "I'll pray for you".

Which you can replace with...

nah! I'm too polite to say.

Blush

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Kpax, these are excellent! I didn't directly deconvert from Christianity but followed the meandering path from it to semi-new age stuff, pantheism/deism, saying I'm agnostic, then finally to atheism. But it was a bit hard to let go of there being something other than the material. And everything being up to me is scary at times, and I found out that the material-only life does not meaning the meaningless life. I agree with many of the things you said and they show that you are a wonderful person who will do just fine on your own. Here are my list items:

--Life is more precious because there is no afterlife. This means we are in this together and need to help each other (funny how atheism didn't lead to nihilism or amorality or disregard for fellow humans)
--Science and human ingenuity are responsible for the quality of life we enjoy. Medical advances, cell phones in every pocket, and the technology we use to fling thoughts all over the world on our PCs or iPads were science fiction when I grew up in the 70s and 80s. That's totally amazing, no god required.
--I have survived crises (divorce, illness or death of family members or friends, personal setbacks) without sky daddy or pantheistic spirit.
--My life is meaningful because of the people in my life, the work I do, etc., not because the murdered son of some Iron Age war god says he has a plan for my life.
--Any sin I commit will make me feel guilty if I wronged another person, not Jesus. It is up to me to apologize or make amends for hurting the person.
--Speaking of sin, this does not include my or anyone else's sex life or preference. These are no one's business unless you are forcing someone or doing things to children.
--I don't have to conform to anyone's idea of a subservient Christian woman. I was never good at this anyway!
--I am more thankful for each day than I ever was.
--I was always analytical, but my critcal thinking skills get sharpened every day, between here and the books I read.
--I know there is nothing wrong with me for not believing.

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 5 users Like cjs's post
03-02-2013, 12:40 PM
... I started being much more skeptical in general, but especially of superstitious claims.

... I started researching ideas and concepts before forming an opinion on them.

... I gained the ability to admit ignorance where it is due, i.e. the ability to say "I don't know".

... I have become much more intellectually honest.

... I have become a much calmer and happier person.

... I have become greatly interested in biology and have read several books about the theory of evolution.

... I am now tolerant of and support same-sex marriage and secularism.

... I came out to my entire family as a non-believer.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 11 users Like Vosur's post
03-02-2013, 05:56 PM
.....I have found it amazing how many families including some of my own emotionally abandon you for your atheism or your sexual orientation, or to put it another way, how you are immediately placed 2nd to the nonsense of a faith-based deity because you choose to put them before everything.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Matthew Laramore's post
04-02-2013, 04:25 PM
... I've come to the realization that because human life is brief yet human accomplishment has the potential to outlive any one human, communication is of grave importance. Pass on your experiences to those who survive you. Otherwise those experiences are lost. It's all part of the human experience.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
04-02-2013, 09:00 PM
My pants fit better.

Probably because I stopped asking God to help me lose weight and started actually working towards losing weight.

I'm just kidding, I've always looked phenomenal. Though my bank account did increase by about 10% of my yearly salary. Before I was an atheist, the same amount would mysteriously disappear around Sundays. In unrelated news, my church just installed a new diamond and gold steeple that perfectly compliments my minister's new Porsche.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 6 users Like Buddy Christ's post
11-02-2013, 10:03 AM
A Christian's reponse to all this? There are a lot of Christians who struggle with guilt and a performance mentality. Then again, there are a lot of people who struggle with guilt and a performance mentality. If I had interacted with you before your deconversion, I would have suggested some specific steps--that anyone here is welcome to take, still--to be ushered into the presence of Jesus for healing and peace. "I feel better overall" or "I don't stress over X and Y anymore" is certainly commendable, but Jesus continues to pledge a peace unlike any the world is able to give to His followers.
11-02-2013, 10:09 AM
(11-02-2013 10:03 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  A Christian's reponse to all this? There are a lot of Christians who struggle with guilt and a performance mentality. Then again, there are a lot of people who struggle with guilt and a performance mentality. If I had interacted with you before your deconversion, I would have suggested some specific steps--that anyone here is welcome to take, still--to be ushered into the presence of Jesus for healing and peace. "I feel better overall" or "I don't stress over X and Y anymore" is certainly commendable, but Jesus continues to pledge a peace unlike any the world is able to give to His followers.

Not for me as I find the whole concept of blood sacrifice and vicarious atonement appalling.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Quote:Not for me as I find the whole concept of blood sacrifice and vicarious atonement appalling.
Chas, can you say why you find it appalling without just trundling out Hitchens's canard? It's not like you decided to work out your own "karma" or be a philanthropist to get to Heaven instead! I'm sincerely interested as I'm grateful for His sacrifice and appalled when people aren't...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What are all the variations of Christianity? smileXsmileXsmile 2 36 Today 03:12 AM
Last Post: Colourcraze
  Christianity is a Secularist religion. Deltabravo 45 585 26-07-2014 12:56 PM
Last Post: Chas
  One question that completely refutes atheism diddo97 192 3,910 25-07-2014 07:16 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Dangerous Christianity Jagare 9 196 25-07-2014 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jagare
  Atheism and the Conversion Factors 5senses 49 1,837 24-07-2014 05:27 PM
Last Post: CiderThinker
  Approaching the Atheism/Theism convo w. someone smileXsmileXsmile 9 223 22-07-2014 08:14 AM
Last Post: smileXsmileXsmile
  How Far can You Stretch Atheism? Mr. Slave 4 154 16-07-2014 11:33 AM
Last Post: Mr. Slave