Since I De-Converted from Christianity to Atheism, _______________ .

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2013, 10:59 AM
RE: Since I De-Converted from Christianity to Atheism, _______________ .
(11-02-2013 10:56 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Not for me as I find the whole concept of blood sacrifice and vicarious atonement appalling.
Chas, can you say why you find it appalling without just trundling out Hitchens's canard? It's not like you decided to work out your own "karma" or be a philanthropist to get to Heaven instead! I'm sincerely interested as I'm grateful for His sacrifice and appalled when people aren't...

It is not a canard. It is a morally bankrupt concept.
I can atone for my sins - I cannot atone for another's nor can anyone atone for mine. To allow another to do so is to shirk my ethical responsibility.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Vosur took all my good ones! Dodgy

I might have one or two left in me though.

...my ability to handle death has greatly improved. Death is an end-state of life. Without death, life could not exist. That alone does not make death more comfortable a thought, but it rationalizes the process. My grandmother and my uncle are the 2 closest people to me that have died since I realized I was an atheist. I cried. I grieved. I wanted them back to have just one more conversation. But acceptance happened quicker because I stopped thinking they were just somewhere else waiting on me. My memories and experiences with the loved ones who have died mean everything to me because they truly are still alive in my head whenever I need them to be. No strings attached.

...my tolerance for bullshit has almost evaporated. If you want to be stupid and say stupid shit, get the fuck away from me first.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
11-02-2013, 11:12 AM
(02-02-2013 11:47 PM)kpax Wrote:  .... It's hard to find what to say to replace the phrase "I'll pray for you."

That's because it's so easy to say "I'll pray for you." and be done with it... A cop out. Like "well, you've sure got a problem there, im going to do nothing and hope it gets better for ya."

Now that god isn't going to solve their problems, you might feel a little bit more pressure to just suggest solutions or give support in some way, even if it's not entirely helpful, it may just be some advice they hadn't considered. Or say something along the lines of "I'll think about that, and let you know if I have any advice." or since the prayers thing is used generically for so many topics. "let me know if there's anything I can do."

Cause thats what it comes down to... Can you do something? Do you want to do something? Or was "praying", even when it was considered a real option, always just the easy way out.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
11-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Quote:It is not a canard. It is a morally bankrupt concept.
I can atone for my sins - I cannot atone for another's nor can anyone atone for mine. To allow another to do so is to shirk my ethical responsibility.
I see. You have an ethical responsibility to pay for your sins? So you are a freethinker who believes in moral sin? Fascinating!
11-02-2013, 01:37 PM
(11-02-2013 12:41 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:It is not a canard. It is a morally bankrupt concept.
I see. You have an ethical responsibility to pay for your sins? So you are a freethinker who believes in moral sin? Fascinating!

I said 'ethical'. Pay attention.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-02-2013, 01:40 PM
You also said "sin". Pay attention, Mr. Bond.
11-02-2013, 01:43 PM
(11-02-2013 01:40 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  You also said "sin". Pay attention, Mr. Bond.
Sin according to Merriam-Webster
a : an offense against religious or moral lawb : an action that is or is felt to be highly reprehensible <it's a sin to waste food>c : an often serious shortcoming :

There are secular definitions for sin too. Religion does not own that word.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
11-02-2013, 01:44 PM
(11-02-2013 01:40 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  You also said "sin". Pay attention, Mr. Bond.
Definition of SIN

1 a : an offense against religious or moral law
b : an action that is or is felt to be highly reprehensible
c : an often serious shortcoming: fault

You want to play word games instead of having a discussion?

11-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Quote:You want to play word games instead of having a discussion?
This from Mr. One Liner?
Okay, here it is, despite The Bearded One's contribution citing MORAL., not ethical, law... Smile
If you are a freethinker, you must allow for freedom of expression, if not free will...? Therefore, if someone wants to atone for sin or receive atonement for sin, who are you to say you are offended. You're really against freedom of expression, it sounds like...
11-02-2013, 02:20 PM
...like failed reasoning that someone else can morally take the blame for something I did. We don't send people to prison in place of the offender because that makes no sense. Rich people would just do whatever the fuck they wanted and pay people to go to prison and atone for their sins for them.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post